L3400 PTO grind

fma1015

Oct 22, 2017
Raymond, WA
When engaging the PTO on my Kubota L3400, I get a grinding sound. It does not matter if the attachment (mower) is attached or not, it still grinds. Can you help me figure out what to do?

After doing a little research, I did this and:

I adjusted the freeplay of the clutch pedal. I can get the PTO going without grinding if I let off the clutch pedal about 1/2 inch from the floor before moving the PTO lever over. If I get the PTO up to speed and push in the clutch, it grinds when I let it back out. Is there something else I can try, perhaps adjusting another rod down there near the clutch pedal rod that I did before where you loosen the lock nut and tighten it? There are other similar rods down there and one that goes the other way down below the one I adjusted does not move when depressing the clutch pedal.

Tractor has 288 hours on it.

Thank you!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Make sure the fender mounted PTO lever's pivot is tight. If it's loose, it will mess with the cable adjustment. It is just a nut and bolt. Make sure it's all tight. Beyond that, you'll have to adjust the cable. It's hard to describe how to properly do it, but I like it to be on the "tight" side, so it just starts to "grind" at about 3/8 to 1/2 way between engaged and disengaged. In a nutshell, with the engine at idle speed only, SLOWLY move the lever to "engaged" until you feel a grind. Adjust cable until it's about halfway. IF doing those (in that order) doesn't solve the issue, you could have an issue with the PTO cam, which is internal and requires transmission splitting. Not an impossible job, takes me about 4 hours do do one with a loader on it, but not a job for someone who's got limited tools, space, and knowledge.

fma1015

Oct 22, 2017
Raymond, WA
I always had tractor running at full PTO speed when I put the PTO in gear. I would do everything at full PTO throttle. I now know better. Could this rough use be causing it to grind when I put the PTO in gear or when I let the clutch out?

fma1015

Oct 22, 2017
Raymond, WA
Help please.I think this is a PTO lever adjustment issue. The PTO will engage (with some grinding) only if I push the lever forward some and even then it won't stay engaged. It looks like it could be adjusted below the lever. I don't know if I want to raise or lower the part with threads that has the two nuts to tighten up the cable. Do you know if I want this to go up or down?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lets back all the way up.
The PTO should never grind on that model because when you are engaging the lever you are engaging the one way clutch (Cams) not gears.
And if it is truly grinding then something else has come loose in there and it will need to be split and looked at.

My suggestion is make a video with good sound post it on you tube and give us a link to be able to hear what's going on with it.

Most likely you have rounded the cam teeth off with trying to engage it with it spinning and the only fix is going to be to split it and replace the one way clutch.

The One way Clutch:

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Bingo, that's the sound I wanted to hear, cams are shot!

Get the WSM and split it!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have a good dealer, it's probably going to be your best bet.

That isn't one of Kubota's best design for a PTO clutch.

When you get it back push in the clutch at low RPM, Engage lever quickly and solidly, Then let out on clutch slowly, then bring up to RPM speed.

Last edited:

fma1015

Oct 22, 2017
Raymond, WA
The PTO grinds on my L3400. I just tightened the cable all the way and it went from mild grind to heavy grind with a slight turning of the PTO. Do you think replacing the cable is the next step? Thank you.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Does it still grind when the PTO is on? If so, then it is probably more than the cable adjustment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We've gave you the answers in the original thread of the same name. (Now merged)
It doesn't matter how much adjustment you do, it's got bad clutch cams, the issue is not anything to do with cable. ;)

KCray

Equipment
L3400
Jul 26, 2019
Live Oak, Fl USA
Ive the same problem with our L3400 PTO grinding as well, we are pretty handy mechanics when it comes to our vehicles, is there any special tools required for this procedure of splitting and replacing the cam?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Snap ring pliers. Buckets for the oil. I like to use some pee pads to catch the drippings. Other than that, nothing special. Probably have to get creative with some jacks or jack stands during the split process.

Reactions: 1 user