after market fuel water/separator filter

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
after market fuel/water separator filter

I don't like the fuel filter on my L2501 so I have been looking for a replacement and I think I found one that will be a lot better then the factory one and I can add a fuel shut off that they should have put on from the factory.

Here is what I found........and it's on the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACOR-120AP-...hZPr3S&vxp=mtr

OVERVIEW

The Racor 120 Series fuel filter and water separators offer Racor proven protection in a small, compact package. The 120 Series offers reliable protection for smaller diesel engines used in generator sets and small construction equipment. Their compact size fits tight mounting locations and cramped engine compartments. Multiple ports offer installation flexibility.

Among the 120 series of filters, these A models offer a lower 15 gph flow rates than the 120B models, and are smaller in size.

The 120 Series assemblies feature spin-on, high-capacity, Aquabloc® II replaceable filter elements which stop 99% of water, remove solid contamination, and are available in 2, 10, and 30 micron ratings.
Filtration needs should be based on application, fuel quality, operating climates, and maintenance schedules.

• For vacuum side of fuel system (tank side of fuel pump)
• 15 GPH maximum flow rate
• Reuseable spin-on contamination collection bowl
• Clear bowl allows water and contamination levels to be seen at a glance
• Clear bowl will not discolor from alcohol, additives, or UV light
• Mounting head has four 1/4"-18 NPTF ports with standard vent plug
• Height: 6.5"
• Bowl has a positive seal drain for easy servicing
• Bowl has a port for an optional water detection kit

Attachments

Last edited:

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
If your L2501 is like my L3901, the fuel shut off is on the moisture separator, just ahead of the fuel filter.

wiltff

Equipment
L3800 HST & FEL. 66" LP Tiller, 72" EA Boxblade, 84" Woods disc, 96" rake
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
This is where I mounted my Racor filter on my L3800. I didn't like the factory one or its location. This is protected better from a log being run over by the front tire. Not sure if this will work on your L2501

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You should dig a little deeper, racor has a wide array of fuel filters. Diesel included. They have been around a long time.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
This is where I mounted my Racor filter on my L3800. I didn't like the factory one or its location. This is protected better from a log being run over by the front tire. Not sure if this will work on your L2501
Awesome installation!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I put the large model Racor on my bulk fuel tank which is the only way I fill my M7040.

Since 2012, I have never seen any water in the M7040's separator.

I changed the bulk tank filter unit once but it did not need to be changed.

There may be condensation in the bottom of my bulk tank but it never gets picked up by the pump. I live where temps go to -40F and +100F.

If you had a bulk tank in the back of a pickup where the fuel is constantly jostling around, then water could be an issue.

My sense is that, if you can stop putting water into your tractor's fuel tank, then you wont have a water problem.

Of course not everyone has the convenience of a bulk tank and are using 5 gal portable cans.

In the gas cans I use for my boat and lawnmowers, I see water which has to come from the service station at least I cannot think of any other source as I use the cans in the summer only. I leave the cans open in an open shed at the end of the season. The gas evaporates first and then I see the water.
Dave M7040

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
I put the large model Racor on my bulk fuel tank which is the only way I fill my M7040.

Since 2012, I have never seen any water in the M7040's separator.

I changed the bulk tank filter unit once but it did not need to be changed.

There may be condensation in the bottom of my bulk tank but it never gets picked up by the pump. I live where temps go to -40F and +100F.

If you had a bulk tank in the back of a pickup where the fuel is constantly jostling around, then water could be an issue.

My sense is that, if you can stop putting water into your tractor's fuel tank, then you wont have a water problem.

Of course not everyone has the convenience of a bulk tank and are using 5 gal portable cans.

In the gas cans I use for my boat and lawnmowers, I see water which has to come from the service station at least I cannot think of any other source as I use the cans in the summer only. I leave the cans open in an open shed at the end of the season. The gas evaporates first and then I see the water.
Dave M7040
I don't have water problem, I just don't like the fact that hey have some little o-rings that seal the factory filter, it lacks a fuel shut off and it looks cheap.

wiltff

Equipment
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Sadly the L2501 does not have a fuel shut off, at least that I can find and the Dealer said it didn't have one.
I put a fuel shut off directly in front of my Racor filter. You can see it in the pics. I also have the same filter setup in my 35gal bulk tank and I always have a complete replacement setup along with the kubota in the toolbox. This way I have no problems with water/fuel between the tractor or the skidster in the middle of the woods.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I have mine the exact same way. Not sure if it's a problem but it seems like my engine sounds different after installing this filter. It might just be my ears but I've only put a few hours on it since the install.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
What did you do about the line back to the tank?

Attachments

wiltff

Equipment
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Isn't it used to let any air in the fuel escape and to allow the filter to fill after a filter change?
That fitting is at the top of the tank. By the time it gets to the top of the tank the air should work itself out of the fuel. And the filter fills great as soon as I open the shut-off valve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Isn't it used to let any air in the fuel escape and to allow the filter to fill after a filter change?
Yep you got it right, the line that he has eliminated is to keep it from passing air onto the injection pump.
Eliminating that line can cause it to push air into the pump and cause it to fail / air lock.

I'm all for adding / changing components to make a tractor run better, but sometimes changing components can also cause more issues than you first started with!

Last edited:

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Yep you got it right, the line that he has eliminated is to keep it from passing air onto the injection pump.
Eliminating that line can cause it to push air into the pump and cause it to fail / air lock.

I'm all for adding / changing components to make a tractor run better, but sometimes changing components can also cause more issues than you first started with!
Since the fuel isn't under pressure when it goes into the filter I'm thinking about just using one of the two outlets as a vent......thoughts?

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I installed a fuel filter water separator on my BX23S, (see post #14) i can not get all the air out of the little front filter thats mounted to the injection pump. With the filter held up straight in the air, i cycled the key with the hose disconnected, the fuel sprays out, but the air wont come out of the filter. Any tricks you guys using to get the air completely out of that little pesky filter?

wiltff

Equipment
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI

So how do I tell if I have air in the system? The bowl is solid fuel and never an air bubble, even with 1/4 tank and bouncing through the food plot.