Latest B6000 Victim

dm464

Equipment
B6000
Jun 21, 2017
Butler, PA, USA
Okay, so I slipped up and purchased a counter clockwise PTO tractor. I wasn't paying close enough attention but it did come with a working tiller and front mount mower deck. ( someone adapted a deck to sit in front of the tractor, which operates the correct direction because it works off a front PTO). Well, the deck throws the drive belt pretty regularly if it doesn't run on level ground...which I happen to not own any level ground. And since I don't take defeat lightly, I've decided to mount this mower under the tractor.
The deck I have is a 42 inch but from the 2-3 pics I can find on the web, this doesn't appear to be a K44 deck. There is no tag on my deck and trying to match it up with pics from other decks is worse than looking for a needle in a hay field. I can make any changes to the deck needed but what I don't know is how a K44 deck mounts to the tractor. I've looked underneath and I just don't see where, or how, a deck would mount to the frame or anything else under there. So my question is...anyone out there have a K44 deck mounted to a B6000 that could give me some tips and info so I can make this thing work? I have a pic of a K44 ( if it is indeed a K44 and not mismarked ) deck with what looks like some mounting hardware on it but not sure if that is a setup for a B6000. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry that you've purchased a problem. They are reliable tractors, but the reverse rotation and sparse parts make them a little more difficult. This is the place to be- someone here will have some helpful info for you. Be patient- it may take a little time for the right person to see and respond.

lt230s

Equipment
L2550 w/ FEL
Nov 2, 2009
Orange County, NY
On the B6000 I had there was a frame that bolted to tractor frame by the front PTO and hung off the tractor frame near the middle. Mower deck hung off of that frame.
Unfortunately I do not have any pictures here, but will check when I get home.
Here's parts manual for B48 deck for the b6100. It is very similar to the K44 deck in the way it is supported, etc. You can see the frame (Item #12) on page 4.

Don't fret about the backwards PTO. Those little B6000 were tough little tractors and mine served me well for the 15+ years I had it.
Welcome to the forum!

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My reply may be a bit "off the wall," but at least consider it. It is also being posted after the most recent posts but I started it before they were up on the forum and had to leave before I finished it.

I was at my Kubotoa dealer's recently and the parts guy was telling me of a customer with a large mower with two gear boxes on it. The customer needed two new gear boxes but only the right one was available any longer as the unit was an old one. When I went home I was looking at the parts diagram for my 72" 3pt mower trying to imagine the difference between a right and left gear box. My thought is by changing the side the ring gear meets the pinion gear might do that.

In the picture below, I would see the shaft #5 machined to allow the gear to face in the opposite direction and side further unto the
shaft. A sleeve to go over the shaft to hold the gear in place would have to be made.

The second image is a home made pto reverser on an old tractor. Someone handy doing a little fabrication with some sprockets and drive chain could do this. Having the chain go over rather than under the lower middle sprocket is the trick.

Give it some thought to allow you to use your mower on a reverse pto.

Dave M7040

dm464

Equipment
B6000
Jun 21, 2017
Butler, PA, USA
I guess I may have made it confusing by not explaining clearly the type of deck that I have. It does not have a gear box. It is the double pulley style on the middle/main shaft. This is my first Kubota and I am not very familiar with them at all but it does seem that most decks are PTO driven and I wasn't thinking that at the time of my post. The front PTO is electric with a pulley. The idler pulleys I think have been reversed to allow the belt to be tensioned going forward of the tractor out to the deck and it is a right hand discharge and the blades do turn the right direction in that configuration. My idea was to just slide the deck back underneath and maybe turn those idler pulleys around so they tension the belt going underneath the tractor. I haven't gotten that far yet to see if that is possible because I'm trying to work out how the deck would be held under the tractor. It seems from the supposed K44 pics I've come across that the deck is suspended/hung off the front of the tractor and the lift would be from the rear, similar to 70's model tractors like Simplicity.
The front of the deck in the K44 pics appears to connect to the tractor by bolts with long, u-shaped ends that would possible have a pin going through them or a hook to keep it connected to the tractor.
I'll try to post a pic tomorrow of the deck that I have to work with. Making something for the front connect would be easy enough but the back is another story and also trying to figure out how to lift it.
I have a front hydraulic lift which was used to raise the deck that used chains connected to an existing, looks like a stock, framework of some kind. The only thing marking the deck is a sticker from a Kubota dealer in Indiana so I'm assuming it is a Kubota deck.
My hope was that someone could take pics and get me some measurements on an existing setup so I could fabricate one myself.
I'm toying with the idea of getting a reverser made for it but as of now, my only implement is a tiller, which is make for the reverse PTO. If I got the reverser, I could use a standard finish mower but my tiller would be useless. However, my plan is to also build a BH unit for it and I'm not sure how the hydraulics for that might work so not sure if I need to run a hydraulic pump off the rear PTO or not. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

BR25004X4

Equipment
Kubota B6000 L3901
May 12, 2017
Columbus, NE
My B6000 is at a Kubota dealer when I get it back I will get pictures of the front electric PTO and mower deck belt. Might be a while as I'm out of town for a while.

lt230s

Equipment
L2550 w/ FEL
Nov 2, 2009
Orange County, NY
Assume this is the K44 deck you are referring to.

As mentioned before there is frame work that mount to front & mid point of tractor. That frame holds the mower deck & raises it up & down.

From the front PTO the belt goes down on both sides to pulleys. Pulley on right side (facing front of tractor) is fixed. Pulley on left side is on a pivot with spring to keep & adjust tension on the belt. The belt then twists and goes to mower deck drive pulley.

I have attached part of the PDF above indicating attachment points, pulleys, etc.
Hope it helps.

Found a shot with the deck attached. It's not detailed but may help.

Attachments

Last edited: