Welding Chuckles AKA- Hot pajamas

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I have to share a stupid mistake and a good laugh. Was piddling around Sunday morning waiting for an emergency repairman ( fridge stopped working) and still in my pajamas. Remembered something I needed to weld, went to the shop and quickly got the job done. You guys that weld know what happened. Just about the time I took the helmet off, I felt heat around my leg. In one thousand of a second I knew I had set a shop towel on fire. I quickly looked down and saw no flame. My leg was still getting hot. The next thousand of a second I realized the inside of my flannel pajama leg was on fire. I immediately grabbed the material on my upper thigh and pulled it tight like a tourniquet hoping it would stop the upper fire flow. It did!!! The funny part came when I told my wife what had happened. Her reply was !!! You didn't roast your weenie , Did you??? I mean, I could have burnt to death and she is worried about my weenie!!! I think I'll keep her..

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Re: Hot pajamas

I am at a loss for words :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Kid in high school started the crotch of his coveralls on fire in welding class. Talk about a no win situation, slap it out or let it burn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Wife and I are both laughing our butts off!
Been there done that ... Sort of... Tail of a flannel shirt... Not fun! :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Tail of a flannel shirt for me also. Well..... my most recent experience. 10 years ago I was torching a bracket off and had a piece of hot slag drop down my shirt. Sucked in my belly when it got hit and the slag dropped into my pants :eek: Dropped my pants right there in the parking lot, just as the president of the company walked by :rolleyes:

Back in forestry class, when doing outside stuff in the winter. We used to bring in our warm hunting clothes. Back then it was primarily wool pants and coats. Occasionally we would light the fuzzies on someone's britches when they weren't paying attention :rolleyes:

• Haha

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI

Somebody PLEASE move this one to Daily Chuckle. I has to be preserved.
The irony is the fridge goes out and he gets hot...:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada

Hung my flannel jacket on a trailer, buddy was torching parts off and lit up my jacket. Managed to save my prescription glasses, but not the oakley sunglasses.

Jacket #4. That stuff lights pretty easy.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Never set my jammies on fire, but I used to have a full beard (ZZ Top style) and set it on fire welding under a Landcruiser. Burned quite a large hole in it by the time I got out from under the vehicle, not to mention the large knot on my head from banging the frame on the way out.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

LMAO, Your wife has her priorities right. She is a keeper for sure.:)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Started my hair on fire with an air arc cutting off the fifth wheel on a truck when I was in my twenties. Don't have to worry about that happening any more.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa

LILFOOT,,, boy , can I identify with that. I have alllmost as many scars on my head as I do my hands.
armylifer,, she gets better. Later that afternoon I came back in, ( repair man still hadn't called back) and she had taken everything out of the freezer portion( large slide out on the bottom) and she had a hair dryer blowing in side the box. I didn't ask but she explained,, "You remember when our camper ac froze up and didn't blow cold air?? Well , I thought the freezer might have frozen up and done the same thing". And all you guys are now saying,, No way!!! She was right!! One of us had not fully closed the door several days ago and the freezer part had gotten a lot of moisture in it and it had frozen over the screen that the air goes up into the refrigerator part. Two hours later , the temp had dropped to 40 degrees and still falling. So , I took her out to breakfast and lunch today.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada

That will teach the repairman for dragging his feet. Mine started misbehaving, there was a drain from freezer to evaporator tray under fridge, plugged up. Shop vac fixed it after i defrosted it.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC

LILFOOT,,, boy , can I identify with that. I have alllmost as many scars on my head as I do my hands.
armylifer,, she gets better. Later that afternoon I came back in, ( repair man still hadn't called back) and she had taken everything out of the freezer portion( large slide out on the bottom) and she had a hair dryer blowing in side the box. I didn't ask but she explained,, "You remember when our camper ac froze up and didn't blow cold air?? Well , I thought the freezer might have frozen up and done the same thing". And all you guys are now saying,, No way!!! She was right!! One of us had not fully closed the door several days ago and the freezer part had gotten a lot of moisture in it and it had frozen over the screen that the air goes up into the refrigerator part. Two hours later , the temp had dropped to 40 degrees and still falling. So , I took her out to breakfast and lunch today.
Still might be an issue with the defrost cycle. Went through that with two different refrigerators last year. I put a new timer in one and the other was fixed with extended warranty.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

Somebody PLEASE move this one to Daily Chuckle. I has to be preserved.
The irony is the fridge goes out and he gets hot...:)
put link to this thread in the Daily Chuckle

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ya know, I never used to take patched shirts into account when welding or grinding until a few years ago. Had a shirt that my wife sowed a patch into the inside of it. Well I spent about 20 minutes grinding on something with the sparks hitting about waste level. Finished up what I was doing and went to go change my clothes to go out somewhere. Got one hell of a surprise when I untucked my shirt and ripped out a 3" patch of belly hair at the waste :eek::eek::eek: That patch that was sown into the inside of the shirt was iron on, and the glue got activated from the sparks :rolleyes:

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA
Lol, great story. My brother in-law just gifted me his fluxcore mig unit. I was burning some steel in the garage the other night.....it was exactly as you said, but in about fraction second, I realized there was too much smoke and something had to be on fire. I looked over and the garbage can just had caught fire. I tried to put it out for a second before throwing the whole thing out in the snow. Was a get out of jail free moment....glad I learned a good lesson without any consequences.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Last year, my buddy (and former owner of my tractor) was doing a drywall job. He took off his Carhart jacket and hung it on one of those 500 watt halogen light stands. Somebody plugged the light back in, not realizing the switch was set to on, and by the time he realized it, his coat was toast, literally. :(

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I was stick welding something on my workbench while my tractor battery was on the floor behind me with a battery charger connected. A stray spark, and the battery blew to
pieces with a huge bang. Scared the stuffings out of me, and I got off really lucky.

On some level I knew better. It's been years, but I guarantee you don't forget.
Who said you don't learn anything as you get older ?

Didn't even have to clean anything up, except my pants.