Which diesel fuel treatment?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
There are many fuel threads out there, but after lots of reading I'm still unsure which product, if any, I should use during my first winter with a diesel tractor.

I live in southern Indiana, where we may see temps anywhere between -10F and 65F over the next several months. My BX is kept in an attached garage that is always above freezing, but if I have to move snow, I could potentially be out for a couple of hours, and I'm concerned about fuel possibly gelling during a cold spell.

I buy my diesel 5 gallons at a time from a local Citgo station. I'm not sure what kind of winter blending they might do, but I was thinking I would treat each 5 gallons with Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost, the cold weather product from the Diesel Kleen company. It seems to get good reviews, is readily available in relatively small amounts, and reasonably priced. But the following from their web page has me slightly concerned: "is intended for use only during cold winter months when temperatures drop below +30F." I'll also be using the tractor for firewood duty throughout the winter, so may get in significant meter hours while temps are in the 50's, possible even warmer. I'm sure nothing catastrophic would happen, but I'm just curious about any downsides to this type of product in warmer weather.

Stanadyne Performance Formula and Opti-Lube XPD are two other products that interest me based on what I've read. Both get a lot of praise, and unlike the Power Service product, I can't find anything that says they're ONLY for use in below freezing temps. It looks like I can pick up Stanadyne at some auto parts stores, but Opti-Lube only appears to be available online, and only in much larger quantities than I need.

I suspect any of these products would work fine for me, and any differences might be negligible. And I might be fine doing nothing at all, given that I buy fuel in relatively small quantities and keep my tractor indoors. But I'll probably treat anyway just to be on the safe side, and need to pick which product.

Thanks for any assistance!

Jack

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've always used the Stanadyne brews. Never had a fuel related problem, but that doesn't really mean much on it's own. I've got a friend that uses 2 cycle oil in a 6BT we swapped into his 72 Suburban, and he's got stupid miles on that thing with no fuel related issues either. Not that it provides the anti-gel properties you want, but just another data point.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use the Power Service (white bottle) year-round. Haven't had any issues.

My tractor is stored in an attached garage as well, and it can get below freezing out there if it gets real cold for several days.

Given we are near the Lake Effect belt, I have blown snow before at -8 degrees F. So much for "too cold to snow...."

I did look at your PS link, and may consider using the silver bottle formulation when it's not snowing.....but so far satisfied with PS.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I usually fill from my sons work truck which has every additive you would need, but on those occasions when I hae to do pump diesel I throw in some Stanadyne, some Diesel 911 and a shot of Sea Foam for good measure.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I agree they (Power Service) kind of leave you hanging with that statement. You ought to call them. They are good people and a family owned business in Weatherford, TX. Their family (Ed Kramer) invented diesel additives for farmer's tractors in West Texas (if I remember right back in the 40's or 50's). I got to know them a little some years ago when I built some buildings for them. One was a new state of the art laboratory to test their products. They are good people and take their product seriously. I am running the white bottle in my new tractor. I am a weekend warrior and want some protection for leaving my tractor unused a week or more at a time. It takes me a while to run thru a tank. I just keep my tank topped off with diesel (w/ PS added).

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have used both over the years, found the Stanadyne works the best and actually improved fuel economy in my 03 Duramax. Power Service gray in summer and white bottle in winter if you go that route, can find almost any gas station.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I use the Diesel Kleen in the white bottle for winter and the silver bottle in the summer. We often have a temperature swing in a single day that takes us in and out of the use range for the white bottle. I have never had any problems with any of my 3 diesel vehicles in such cases.

The only thing that I would caution against is using any product that has alcohol in it. Those product that contain alcohol are intended only for emergency use to clear fuel delivery problems when your fuel has already gelled. They are not intended for regular use. Alcohol in diesel fuel removes lubricity and is really bad for regular use in diesel engines. Most products for diesel engines that contain alcohol of any form also contain lubricity enhancers to help overcome the bad effects of alcohol in the fuel.

Two of the more popular products that are on the market that I am familiar with that contain alcohol are Seafoam and Diesel Kleen 911. By the way, the Diesel Kleen 911 comes in the red colored bottle. The Diesel Kleen in the silver colored and white colored bottles do not contain any alcohol. I have provided a link top the MSDS for the Seafoam and Diesel Kleen 911.

According to the MSDS on Seafoam it has just less than 25% alcohol. https://www.wsc.edu/download/downloads/id/1541/sea_foam_motor_treatment.pdf

According to the MSDS for Diesel Kleen 911 it has between 40% and 90% of alcohols in the form of Aliphatic hydroxy hydrocarbons, the precise formula of which they claim as a trade secret. http://powerservice.ca/Files/bps_dpdsoftware_com/911_9_29_15.pdf