Unloading tractor from Trailer causes accident in PA

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
First off, this was NOT me. I always put jack stands under the rear of the trailer to keep it from lifting the truck up.

A guy was unloading a kubota, while parked on a hill. This raised the rear of the truck enough that it started going down hill and crashed in to a house.

http://akvnews.com/truck-hits-house-in-apollo-borough-crash/

hoping the operator and home owners are all OK

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Wow! That is totally messed up. I don't see a lot of apparent damage to the BX25D though. That truck looks to me like it is a 1/2 ton 2WD. Maybe a little light to be hauling that trailer and tractor.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Buddy's bobcat used to llift back wheels of his S10 when he loaded /unloaded.
Blocks under trailer solved it. Folding ramps with legs is the best solution.

Driving back on trailer or backing right off may have saved the truck and house.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Thanks for posting this. You can get away with loading like that a thousand times, then all conditions required for the accident come together.
I load my zero turn without jacks or blocks all of the time, but it only weighs about 1600lbs. When loading the tractor I have always put scissor jacks down at the rear of the trailer. I am currently shopping for a 10k 20' trailer, and this reminds me that I can have them weld the jacks onto the frame. With a heavier tractor now I may have to consider something other than scissor jacks though.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Must have been a wild ride on the tractor. Down the hill, length of the trailer and on to the truck.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When my BX was delivered - the guy brought it on a single axle...and the tires came up on the rear of his truck!!!!

I made these out of 2x12's - made like an upside down "T", allows the trailer to squat just a bit, then the pressure is placed on them and the rear of the trailer as opposed to the tongue of the trailer.

They are placed catty corner at the rear

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Wow good reminder to everyone how quickly things can go wrong. I had close call one time but backed off before it got away.
One time cutting wood in the winter I parked the truck on a hill in the field got out started cutting turned around and the truck was sliding down the hill. It stopped before it hit anything but sure got my attention.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Makes a good ad for the skid plates....you never know when the bed rails of your truck could take a hst fan blade out ;)

Feel really bad for the owner though no injuries were reported. A perfect storm of physics that could happen to 90% of the average guy's out there. Truck is clearly totaled and the trailer which looks darn near brand new is pretty torn up/twisted. I'm a Ford fan and if they are built Ford tough than Kubota must be built Kubota tougher.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have built telescoping jacks for the rear corners of trailers, keeping it stabilized and accounting for uneven terrain.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Buddy's bobcat used to llift back wheels of his S10 when he loaded /unloaded.
That is NUTS!
Bobcat and an S-10, that sounds like a suicide mission!
I got rid of my 1/2 ton tahoe because it wasn't enough truck for towing my bobcat or my tractor!

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

We call that "trailer surfing" around here. Here's what I did to prevent that particular Redneck Olympics event.

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Having the right tool for the job helps both in ease and safety. Utility trailers are not the best to haul equipment on but it's done daily. With 12 tractors to move around I had this one built to my specs. 22ft rollback steel floor, 2x3 cross members on 12" centers, two 7,000 axles with brakes on all 4 wheels, wheel stop, stake pockets, rub rails, 8k winch and battery box. I don't even own a pair of ramps anymore.

Attachments

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Thats the exact reason I welded up feet on my ramp. When ramp comes down, the feet touch the ground preventing that exact scenerio. I learned that unloading a walk behind trencher and picked rear of F150 right up. Had I not been moving backwards downhill, the truck wouldve walked away. Thats when I had light bulb....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That is NUTS!
Bobcat and an S-10, that sounds like a suicide mission!
I got rid of my 1/2 ton tahoe because it wasn't enough truck for towing my bobcat or my tractor!
I've been looking at doing that upgrade as well. But after the Sierra is paid off next year. Gonna keep that for a daily driver. Put 1,200 miles on it a couple weeks ago hauling the camper. After fighting high winds from kansas across Missouri, I really want a dually diesel :rolleyes: Actually been looking at commercial trucks that are flat bed, crew cab, That are low frills (power windows and cruise control, basic stereo with blue tooth), with vinyl seats and floor boards, and tow mirrors. Also have the fifth wheel ball and chain hooks in the deck of the flat bed. So far there's been about a 20k difference in price between the regular trucks, and the commercial models with the flat bed being the lower priced. And hauling grand kids in it for a long distance, the vinyl floor boards are a blessing :D