Rear rims finally giving out!

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
New rims are on!

The rear rims on my L2250 are finally giving up the ghost. I noticed after mowing my back field the other day that the tube on one side was actually starting to protrude around the valve stem. Yikes! So, since Kubota no longer offers replacement rims I ordered a set (to be fabricated) from Wold Rim in Iowa. Cost will be $336.00 each plus shipping, and will be drop shipped direct to my local Kubota dealer. Said dealer will then pickup my tractor and bring it back to their facility to do the change over. Fortunately, calcium chloride is no longer used as ballast, so I shouldn't have this problem ever again.

The whole process will run around $1400.00 by the time the smoke clears, but since I bought this tractor new in 1985 it hasn't really cost me much in maintenance at all. And since it has only 448 hours on the clock and has lived inside since new, it's worth investing in. :)

Will follow up with results.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Good for your machine!

Sometimes we have to write checks for our pets or our machines.

Health is something everyone needs to mind, including our workhorse machines. Good for you for taking care of a great workhorse.

Ray

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
I had one of my rear rims on my B2710 fail due to the same calcium chloride issue. Mine was a small hole in the flat part of the rim. I was able to get a new rim and have a service truck come to the house and swap it out.

I kept the old rim and a friend cleaned up the hole and welded a repair with a stick welder. Grinded it smooth so now if I have another rim problem I can use the original for a repair/swap...

At my last service I had the dealer swap out the chloride in the other tire also...

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Its a little late now, but I'd check M.E. miller tire, and see if they have a set of blank rims... Or Weaver's, Shippensburg, PA, to see if they have a used set...:D:D

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>I kept the old rim and a friend cleaned up the hole and welded a repair with a stick welder.<<

Yeah, I'll probably do the same, depending on how they look when they're stripped down.

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
Well, I got my tractor back from the dealer today sporting a new set of rear rims as ordered from Wold Rim in Iowa. I gotta tell you, these things are beautiful, and far sturdier than the originals. The whole process from start to finish was a bit over three weeks, which included the time it took the dealer to do the change over. Interestingly enough, the way these wheels are configured the valve stems are on the inside vs. the out. (see pics)

I can't recommend Wold Rim highly enough, so for those of you in need of "obsolete" wheels this is the place to go! :)

For those who might be interested, call Michael Wold directly at (800) 443-9653

Last edited: