Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Implements & Attachments

Implements & Attachments Find everything related to operating, servicing and maintaining that loader, mower, blade, snow blower, tiller, hitch or scraper, right here.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
PJC

Equipment: Mowing, snow blowing, grading, hauling.
Default Kubota mower deck RC60-71B, the gear box oil leaked out

I have a Kubota mower deck RC60-71B, the gear box oil leaked out and I need a top bearing (first one to overheat) and the oil seal at the bottom of the gear box (where the oil leaked out). I have removed the top bearing no problem, but I can't tell just what to do next to remove the lower bearing(?) to get to the oil seal. Can anyone help me with a short step-by-step explanation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubota - RC60-71B-Gear Box Exploded View.jpg
Views:	1947
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	2014  

Last edited by PJC; 08-22-2010 at 11:47 AM.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
PJC

Equipment: Mowing, snow blowing, grading, hauling.
Default Re: Kubota mower deck RC60-71B, the gear box oil leaked out

Answer: remove (4) gear box mounting bolts #310 and the gear box just lifts straight up, and the lower bearing and oil seal comes up and out with the gear box; and the pulley and pulley drive shaft #250 remains in place. You may need to pry slightly between the bottom of the gear box and the top of the pulley to break the slight adhesion between the lower bearing and oil seal, and the pulley drive shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubota - RC60-71B-Gear Box Exploded View.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2015  
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Bluelick

Equipment: B7100, MMM, pond scoop, carryall, boom pole

I need to pull the gearbox on my RC60-71H, which has a different gear box (70723-33110) from the RC60-71B in this post. Is removal the same?

I can't tell from the parts drawings if the shaft stays with the deck and the lower spindle housing like the RC60-71B (original post), or whether it comes out with the gearbox.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I thought it made more sense to collect the information under one heading.

BTW, I'm new here, good forum.
Bluelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Bluelick

Here is the RC60-71H gearbox parts diagram:

Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Bluelick

OK, starting to feel a bit like I'm talking to myself but I'm going to post this in case it is useful to someone else. I got the gear box off. The shaft stays with the gearbox on the RC60-71H. First, take off the blade and associated washers. Then remove the circlip and the splined boss on the shaft. On mine the circlip was missing and the boss would not pull off. The next step is to remove the four bolts holding the gearbox on. Having done that, I was able to encourage the shaft and gearbox upward (block of wood and large hammer) driving the shaft up through the boss, at which point the gear box was off. It goes now to the dealer to have the bearings and seals replaced. I feel confident I could do that but they said it is just about one hour labor plus parts and I think it would take me a few hours at least and probably multiple trips for parts, tools (I would need large circlip pliers for this job) and supplies. And it will be good to develop a relationship with the local dealer.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
skeets
Master Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

Yeah sometimes its just easyer and better to let somebody else do it that has done it before and has all the right tools,, even if it costs ya a couple of bucks
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Bluelick

Project completed. Cost to have the dealer replace all the bearings in the gearbox and refill with oil was $139. While the gearbox was off I had a local welding shop do major reconstructive surgery on the swiss-cheese portions of the deck. They also primed it, cost $150. So, about $300 total (add $4 for a can of orange spray paint from WalMart and a few bucks for miscellaneous parts) and I'm back in business. I think this was a good way to do it, although in retrospect it might have made sense to go the extra $25 and get a new belt, then keep the old one as a spare.

Here is a "before" picture showing some of the problem:

Here are a couple of "after" shots:

I'd say it looks a bit better in the pictures than in person, but I think it will serve me well for a while longer. And now I need to catch up with the mowing. Fortunately I was able to keep up with the small stuff with my old Murray riding mower, but the bigger fields are calling to me.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Orange Tractors
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD

One thing about it, that $300 is about a third of the cost for a cheap rider at Walmart. Your Kubota will last five times as long, with minimal maintenance. Bigger decks tend to make more even cuts also.

I am glad that my Woods deck has a belt drive vice a gearbox located under the tractor.

Robert
Orange Tractors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear box oil seal, kubota mower, rc60-71b