rs1351 tiller broken chain

jac

Equipment
b1400
Aug 22, 2010
netherlands
I have a rs1351 tiller with a broken chain, the chain pitch size = 7/8 inch (22,2 mm). Checked the ANSI chain standards to replace the chain but this one does not exist (table jumps from 40,50,60 to 80 and the 7/8 corresponds to 70)

Thanks for any assistance.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Most large towns have a company which specializes in chains, sprockets, etc. I live near a small town an there is one (Merly Chains, Milton Ontario). Chains are almost always standard. Yours is probably an english or metric size, not a kubota special. It costs a lot to make a custom pitch chain and there is no reason to do so.

Look online or yellow pages for chains power transmission, or something like that and you'll almost certainly find a place nearby. A lot of these places makes their living off small sales, so they should be happy to sell to you. Bring them the chain and they'll almost certainly be able to replace it. for not too much money.

Failing that, McMaster Carr and like places probably have it but you'd have to wait and pay shipping. Unfortunately, they won't sell to Canadians.

Chain can 'just break' if you hit a rock or something, but there is often an underlying problem like misalignment or worn sprockets, too much slack, or some such. Have a look around, and don't be surprised if you have to fix something else.

jac

Equipment
b1400
Aug 22, 2010
netherlands
thanks for the info. I 'm from Europe and started with visiting the local repair shops with no success ("non standard" chain message ). Checked some websites from major chain providers already and it is clear it is not going to be easy. BTW the sprockets are still OK but a lot of wear on the chain(little cracks), do not know what happened at the previous owner.
I'll continue the search.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
I love the Netherlands! Been to Amsterdam many times and I used to work for Philips so I spent some time in Appeldoorn. Traveled all over Holland with wife & kids on my last vacation

You threw me by mentioning 7/8" - I figured you had to be American.

Anyhow, I don't know the situation in Europe, but I have to believe there are chain dealers there too, because there are so many industrial uses for roller chains and so many different sizes. Merly's small but it has a fairly large warehouse of many different types..

If, for some reason you can't get an exact replacement it might be easier to replace the sprockets with more or less same tooth count or ratio and move up a size in chain to the next nearest size.

Good luck!

vino

Equipment
rotavator
Mar 9, 2011
ireland
Hi Jac,did you ever get a 7/8" chain to suit your tiller, I have the same problem with mine and here in Ireland nobody ever heard of a chain this pitch.Hope your experience can help me.
vino

jac

Equipment
b1400
Aug 22, 2010
netherlands
Hi Vino,
I couldn't find the 7/8 chain yet in the netherlands and contacted serveral industrial and agricultural companies already. Strange with so many tillers sold all over the world but grey import of course. Also checked the "officaly imported" kubota tillers at the dealer but those chains are different (= common sizes) Its a pitty because the other components are in good condition ( sprockets, tines etc).
I am still hoping to find somebody who is able to provide a new chain or another cheap second hand tiller.
Sorry I cannot help you but I 'll promisse to keep this forum updated if I find a solution.

jac

vino

Equipment
rotavator
Mar 9, 2011
ireland
Thanks for the reply Jac,have tried Ireland and England with no luck.If any thing turns up I will let you know.
regards vino