Dyno rebuild on B7100

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
SO when I bought the ol' girl, I know a disease that I am not cured of yet, The PO said that the bearings where shot and actually had the price correct for a new dyno....about $200 with gasket and shipping.

Getting that magical nut off was not too bad, NIW and others gave great suggestions on what type of offset 10mm wrench to use. I ordered this guy, 10 bucks and it has a 5 degree ratchet, which is much needed. And the swivel head was a good choice too.

Looking inside the housing, there are supposed to be TWO bearings, there are parts to one on the left of the photo - and the rest of one is, well, stuck to the 4 permanent magnets!

Notice the iron shavings and a few balls......the pieces - the inner and outer race were all that was left of bearing #2

Breaking it all down, and cleaning it up a bit - It is hard as hell to get metal shavings off a magnet!!!!

New bearings and a little light sanding and getting it back together - getting that bearing in was a press fit - amazing what a nice flat washer and socket in a vice work!

All the parts back together :

Since there is a "nut" on the back side - I could "test" the dyno - taking the drill and spinning it as fast as possible , I did get an "AC" voltage on the meter.

Cleaned up face on the block :

notice the water inlet on the left.......this is completely closed off to the back of the dyno - so was this created for those engines that HAD a water pump ? I am thinking not - since the dyno is open to the rear, water would flow in there if NOT for the gasket in place.

I am waiting on the gasket from Colemans...it should be in here soon.

As for the bearings, the two cost a total of $9.04, with the $3.00 gasket and shipping, should be under $15.00.

The bearings in case you need them are very popular - and can be obtained at any NAPA or other auto shop

http://www.vxb.com/6201-Bearing-Deep-Groove-6201-p/6201bearing.htm

question for the group -

when the gasket comes in, should I place a sealant around BOTH sides of the gasket, block side only , OR no sealant at ALL????

I damn sure do not want to take it off.....again,......for a while!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, nice report. That magnetism must have been tremendous, to be able to hold those pieces on the paneling like that!

I think everyone has a preference to sealing a gasket. In theory the gasket is to stop all leaks by sealing between both parts.

I put a very light touch of silicone on both sides only on the mating surface area. In my mind it gives a touch of added protection, and I hate doing things twice if I could have solved it the first time.

If I have to take it apart and it give me some trouble, that's the price I pay.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I agree with d2cat. I'll apply black rtv or silicone in s thin coat then place the gasket. This gives the added protection but also help to keep the seal in place on install :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree with d2cat. I'll apply black rtv or silicone in s thin coat then place the gasket. This gives the added protection but also help to keep the seal in place on install :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the way y'all think!!!:D:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
oh and just to be a pill... It's not the block that the dyno attaches to, it's the head
And yes the ports in the head are for models that have a water pump. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
oh and just to be a pill... It's not the block that the dyno attaches to, it's the head
And yes the ports in the head are for models that have a water pump. ;)
true....true......is that kinda like a block-head?
(tthink charlie brown):D:)