BX24 HST Fan Replacement

GlueGuy

Equipment
2018 BX23S, 3PH, Back Blade, Rake, 18ft Trailer
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
After finding out theat there were no fan blades left on my BX24, I researched the replacement of the $12.00, drive shaft mounted fan and found out these tractors (and possibly others) required disconnecting and then moving the engine forward to allow clearance to insert the fan. What a lot of work! My solution: make it a 2 piece fan! I cut two 1/16" thick pieces of aluminum that spanned most of the distance between the existing bolt holes, Matched the radius of the fan hub ID, but trimmed them to not interfere with the OEM mounting bolts. I clamped them to the fan and drilled two 1/8" holes through the fan and the aluminum on either side of what would be my saw cuts through the fan. I checked to make sure the 1/4" grip range POP rivets fit snugly and then cut the fan in two approximately 90 degrees from the OEM mounting holes. I installed the two fan halves and finger tightened the bolts. I installed the pieces of aluminum and inserted the pop rivets. After securing them I finished tightening the bolts (with a couple of drops of blue threadlocker). The fan runs true and works well. Then I made a split boot for the CV joint from a pie shaped piece of new inner tube! Pics are available

Attachments

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
Well done, excellent, best solution yet for this very difficult problem seen yet.

Others would be well advised to save this posting if they do not have under carriage protection.

Thanks for posting this very "easy" solution.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
To move the engine forward, all you have to do is remove 4 nuts from the rubber iso mounts, lift engine with a cherry picker and move it 1 to 1/2 inches forward. It is much easier than cutting up the new fan, only takes a few minutes to move it. I have had to do it at least a dozen times.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Damn nice and creative! I think I would rather make the aluminum that move the engine!

SO - cutting the fan in half, and cutting the aluminum and "testing" took more time than placing it on the tractor? I guessing the planning took 3 times longer than the application.

YOU ought to patent that thing! Ronco-matic fan replacement - $29.99 !!!!!!!!:)

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
I think he may have a fix kubota should look into as a fix for the issue of a plastic fan. Kinda makes you wonder why not just make the fan out of aluminum or even steel pieces once they make a replacement as GlueGuy has created and make it so on future models like the 80 series when it releases in future. Really cool fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Very nice, I have seen several variations on your approach, but this is the best I can remember.

The earlier models were fairly easy to replace, had one done on my BX2200, but later ones were a bear according to what I've seen and been told by dealer.

Here is a video of wildfire (Paul Short) doing one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX5EncUkSQo

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Funny I just replaced my HST fan and CV boots last week. I agree...pulling the engine is pretty simple...two of us just lifted the engine off the bolts and moved it forward. That fan is about the most stupid design decision I have seen anyone make.

So...to hijack the thread...Brotek or BX Expanded skid plates...which ones protect the fan better? The money they are asking plus shipping makes me think I can fab something up myself (option 3.)

-Mac

P.S. And the irony of the fan and boots...$11 for the fan and $6 for the boots makes this the cheapest repair I have ever done to this tractor.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Funny I just replaced my HST fan and CV boots last week. I agree...pulling the engine is pretty simple...two of us just lifted the engine off the bolts and moved it forward. That fan is about the most stupid design decision I have seen anyone make.

So...to hijack the thread...Brotek or BX Expanded skid plates...which ones protect the fan better? The money they are asking plus shipping makes me think I can fab something up myself (option 3.)

-Mac

P.S. And the irony of the fan and boots...$11 for the fan and $6 for the boots makes this the cheapest repair I have ever done to this tractor.
I use Bro Tek as the rear half remains in place with the MMM mounted. Our 2200 fan was trashed while the MMM was mounted.

If you have decent skills you should be able to fab one I believe Paul as well as several others have.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I think he may have a fix kubota should look into as a fix for the issue of a plastic fan. Kinda makes you wonder why not just make the fan out of aluminum or even steel pieces

It's done on purpose to be a weak link. A plastic fan spinning at high rpm hit's something and it bends or breaks causing no damage. A steel fan breaks at high speed and it destroys everything around it or binds up against the HST damaging drive-shaft bearings or slices lines causing HST damage/burns to the operator ect.

I like to keep the spinning blades 8" from my feet plastic:)

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Makes sense. Was changing oil on tractor and noticed the factory protector was bent. My warning to put plate over area to keep from breaking the fan accidentally.

GlueGuy

Equipment
2018 BX23S, 3PH, Back Blade, Rake, 18ft Trailer
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
I think the proper design would have been a slightly reinforced 2 piece fan where the mounting bolt segments overlapped. That would have maintained alignment easily and allowed much easier replacement.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Glue guy , were you able to install your fan from under the tractor without taking stuff apart from above .. thanks

Last edited: