L245dt battery drain

Nebulous

Feb 19, 2016
Paso Robles CA
Hello, new member, but have had Kubota 245DT for 3 years, recently my battery has been draining overnight. I thought it may be a charging problem and replaced the voltage regulator, next replaced the starter solenoid, installed new battery. I put the charger on all day, battery at 12.5 volts, disconnected battery and have 1+ volts in the morning. Key is out of the switch. I am stumped, and ideas are certainly welcome.
Thanks
Jim

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Quick way to test to be sure where to look. Disconnect the hot wire going from starter to alternator. Then meter battery.

If you still have a drain, it will drop .1 volts or so, fairly fast and steady.

If no drain after disconnecting wire, then it's in the alternator.

If you still have a drain, then you need to work your way under the dash. Could be corrosion in a pin connector, at the key switch, or relay under dash hanging up slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebulous

Feb 19, 2016
Paso Robles CA
Thanks for the great input, I am away for a couple of weeks, but should be able to try your testing about March 3. For what it's worth, I should have mentioned that the alternator put out good voltage when engine is running, however I guess that doesn't preclude the alternator from having othe issues.
Thanks again, I will let you know the results after March 3.

Nebulous

Feb 19, 2016
Paso Robles CA
Well, the problem continues. Installed a new alternator two days ago. Charged the battery overnight. Alternator seemed good, put out 14+ volts. Let tractor sit overnight with key out of switch. Had 1 volt in the morning. Relays under the dash have been mentioned, what relays are under the dash of a L245??
Any input is appreciated...thanks

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
. . . next replaced the starter solenoid, installed new battery. I put the charger on all day, battery at 12.5 volts, disconnected battery and have 1+ volts in the morning. . . .
Thanks
Jim
IT is possible to get a new battery or alternator or any other electrical component and it is bad from the beginning. You could also have multiple new components be bad when they are new. You can spend forever trying to find the problem.
Have the new battery load tested at a place that spec in batteries, if you have a Napa auto near they can usually do it. I have had batteries tested at other auto parts stores and get a false good reading from them because they did not have the right equipment. Near me, I took a battery that I knew was bad and charger it, then took the bad battery along with a known good battery to AutoZone - O'rileys - Advanced Auto Parts and Napa. Napa was the only one that gave me a correct reading on the bad battery. You could also disconnect the positive cable from the battery, charge it and see if the voltage drops down significantly over night. Like others have said, test every component one at a time.

Good luck.

Nebulous

Feb 19, 2016
Paso Robles CA
Bad switch or Bad alternator, my money is on a bad altenator. ;)

Wolfman, thanks for the input so far....just replaced the ignitions switch and checked all of the fused circuits.
So far I have replaced the starter solenoid, alternator, battery, and ignition switch and re battery still drains. I called Messicks and only one of the three wiring harnesses is available...unless anyone has a great idea, I guess it's just testing one wire at a time. Any ideas are welcome....plus if you happen to be near Paso Robles CA, stop in.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I see one other part that you are discounting, the voltage regulator, that has constant power too, so it could be a drain.

Just disconnect it and see if your drain disappears. ;)