L3350 buy advice

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
Hello all I am new to the forum and hopefully new to Kubota

Background: Live in interior Alaska own about 15 acre very rural. grew up on JD agricultural tractors 50-120 horses. Kubota dealer was not very established in my home town. Looking to buy my first orange tractor ever and impressed with the tractor, resale (at least in my state) and dealer here (Fairbanks dealer).

Have the opportunity to buy a older L3350 with a what appears to be stock cab..not the aftermarket zip up. Real glass and heat and air. Tractor specs are as follows according to owner

1990 L3350 Kubota
1000 Hours, 4560 Kubota Backhoe
BF800 Front Loader and Cab, 40 HP Diesel
Runs Perfect & Operates as it should
Paint is faded, From sitting outside at Hobbyfarm it came from in S. Idaho
but sheet metal and components are top notch.

I confirmed by viewing the components .. have not driven or operated it as of yet... very soon... it is faded and seat is beginning to show wear... would classify it as good for the age but showing some wear and needs a little TLC to give it some curb appeal

Questions:
1.What would a reasonable price be for the machine... asking 18900
2.Any issues with the machine to look for
3.Are parts still available if it were to break not looking for a quick flip would like to own for a while and lose my shirt on a resale when I do upgrade
4. can the bucket be modified for quick adapt reasonably

5. just general advice on what to look for on these tractors

The machine need some paint and TLC .. backhoe does have some hydro oil around collection in the center of the machine around main connections

Other hydro area is on front right axle.. appears the fill hole cap is stripped and may have leaked some in this area

ALSO I HAVE NEVER operated a backhoe so advice on what to look for here would be great... main thing is would you stay away from this older machine and if not possible reasonable price for the unit.

Thanks
Greg

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
Here are some pics of the 3350 as well as a 7610 I also looked at

I have a large barn 60-80 with steep pitch so 4 inch of snow on that barn unloads LOTS of snow for me to remove next to it... thought the 7610 might not be enough to do that kind of work.. thoughts... the 7610 he is asking 8800 for it

The 3350 has a big backhoe just concerned he is putting to much value on it

Attachments

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
Looked at the 3350 this morning and spent some time driving. Tractor seemed sound, hydraulics were strong, backhoe was a beast. pins were tight and operated very smooth... had small drip where the hoses connect to the valve body was only thing with the backhoe. Cab heat never really got hot...not sure if that was a function of only running about 30 min or so and it is cold here now ..low 20s or if the heater core needs some work.

There are lots of people looking so ANY advice on price especially would be helpful. I just do not know what value is on this older tractor and wife is concerned paying to much for an older machine... she likes new but does not like the price.

Like i said please chime in on price what to check if it were you ...need HELP please and being new to kubota i thought this would be the place.

thanks

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Alaska, it might be hard to tell if reasonable price because I am guessing everything up your way is more expensive. Questions: how much do you need a backhoe? How close is a source of parts? Can you do most of the mechanical work on it yorself? A working heater might be pretty important. The older tractors if looked after keep going and going.

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
Alaska, it might be hard to tell if reasonable price because I am guessing everything up your way is more expensive. Questions: how much do you need a backhoe? How close is a source of parts? Can you do most of the mechanical work on it yorself? A working heater might be pretty important. The older tractors if looked after keep going and going.
Thanks for the reply:

I grew up around large tractors and have many apart.. even restored an older JD when i was a older teenager. Life took me away from my farming roots so in short yes I can do a lot of the work on it myself.. just would rather operate it than work on it

As for Alaska yes it is more expensive but in the big scheme of things no extremely higher... If you or anyone else has ballparks for their area I can usually make the Alaska adjustment.

As far as backhoe.. just a nice to have.. we live 80 miles from nearest town so renting things are difficult.. hence why having your own stuff is nice

Kubota dealer in Fairbanks (80 miles) is nearest dealer... some parts 35 miles away in a small town and the internet to my door. HA

I am going to call the dealer to ensure they can still get parts for this tractor .. i know the normal maintenance and small fixes.. water pumps etc are available but not sure about major items... clutches and such.

Again thanks for the reply... anything that i need to look for on Kubota's ... I grew up JD and Ford mainly JD... dealer here is OK but i would not classify as good

not sure if you saw but i have the chance at at B7610 pic in post above but it seems ok as well just concerned about it handling snow pushing and such... Also was not sure about the hydrostatics in these earlier models

thanks again

got to make a decision soon though

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Greg,

I'd jump on it. Start out a couple grand under his asking and either meet him in the middle or get him to throw more into the deal.

Go over the BH cylinders with a fine toothed comb. Any pitting or scratches are potential leak points. Ultimately, if you have a few seepage areas, and the machine is otherwise reliable, you can live with those and swap 'em out as time goes on. Same with the loader cylinders. I believe you can get a quick attach for those backhoes but you may have to have it installed at a machine shop. Not very experienced with backhoes myself either.

1000 hours is barely broken in. The only problem I see is the weather issues and you can hammer him for new hoses and a seat. All that stuff is easy to get and replace. The paint is not cheap but if you buy it by the quart from Kubota (and I recommend you do), it'll run you $50 a quart. That machine is the old Kubota Orange I color but, if you want to modernize it and are painting it all, the new Orange II would look nice. Two quarts will about do that machine. Three would give you a little for touch up later.

Pull any dip sticks you can to check for moisture penetration into the innards. Water "bubbles" on the dipstick are a sign of water penetration. If the pins are tight on the backhoe you are probably pretty certain its one that came with the machine. Plan on doing a complete fluid and filter service on it. The synthetic hydraulic fluid SUDT is about $70 a jug down here (3.5 gal) and you'll need two jugs. If the seller hasn't done fluids, you can use that as leverage. Filters are about $14 for oil and about $30 for hydraulic. I'd stick with stock the first time around to make sure your machine is running as it should. One thing about sellers: They are not always truthful. Even if they say they did service, its best to do it yourself and start at zero time both for the machine and for your piece of mind. The front axle fill cap is hopefully not on top and hasn't leaked in rain. Water penetration into the differential is SUPER costly to repair. If you get it, zirk the heck out of the loader joints to force out and moisture and get them lubed up. Same with any underneath zirk fittings on drivetrain and pedal hinges.

Hopefully, you'll have some kind of shed or barn to get this beauty out of the weather.

BIG CONCERN: Check tire sidewalls. Its probably on 25 year old tires and the rears run $1000 installed and weighted apiece down here! Fronts are about $80 apiece. Any checking will mean you are probably looking at tires and that is not something you can do yourself. It will require a visit to a dealer/tire service center. Another bargaining chip.

Jump on it! After looking at the pictures, I think a little TLC might get this thing back to new condition. I think you might find you never need to upgrade. This is a very capable machine for around the ranch!

Let us know how it goes....

Ray

Hydrostatics note: Kubota makes bullet-proof HSTs. I watched guys in the late 80's at my airline try to destroy Kubota HSTs spinning tires pulling baggage trains on the ramp. Never heard of a failure. I have a HST L3800 and love it.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"I'd jump on it. Start out a couple grand under his asking and either meet him in the middle or get him to throw more into the deal." CCR

it was my first thought too!:)

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
CaveCreekRay:

Thanks for the detailed response. I would like one more thought of yours. I took the wife over today and she loved the big machine. So the little B7610 is out.. she said she wants a BIG tractor... no argument from me.

I did look it over again no leaked... the backhoe leak is from the main valve body at the connections.. just real slow drip. most likely an easy fix and does not increase under pressure. The cylinders all look good and NONE seem to be leaking.

OK so now for your thoughts... the top cap on the front axle IS on the TOP. I took it off after i ran it for a little and the front fluid was frothy/foaming. it was even a little thick... to the point that it did not run off like fluid on my finger but kind of stuck to it...

I think it is safe to say it has had water in it. Thoughts on it now if i immediately pull the fluid... flush it best i can fix the cap and put new fluid in. I am even ok with doing this running it a little and then doing it all over again. Fluid is cheap in the big scheme of things. ALSO noticed today that the RPM gauge is not working.. so got me worried that the hour meter might not be as well. My wife was thinking 16000 grand max ... owner is asking 18900

Hope to hear from you soon on this one... Other than that i am pretty sold on the tractor...

ALSO anyone know if that backhoe will fit LOTs of other machines especially newer ones... I had thoughts of using it for a while to do some projects and then dumping it for implements that i will use more often.. Not sure how they sell or if they will link up with other machines.. I figure the BH should fetch 4x grand ... it is a horse... 11 foot reach with dedicated pro pump.

Thanks again guys this has been a real help .. hope to hear thoughts on the front axle question and maybe a chime in on the others

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
OUCH!

If you knew the water got in this Spring and that was it, that would make it an easier decision. I am thinking the front axle is filled with 80-90. It sounds like that fluid may be original or at least a decade old and the moisture inside has been stirred and stirred and stirred. Oil protects metal from corrosion but oil tends to break down when "hydrogenated." My guess is that front end is gonna need some serious work. I could be wrong. It might only be a layer of corrosion floating on top of the lube. But, oil floats on water, so for years, all the water that gets in has worked its way to the bottom of the case... Differential cases don't get much combustion heat like motors do so they don't get the chance to burn off moisture. It stays and does damage.

Here's an idea: Compared to a differential overhaul, 80-90 is cheap. Get a gallon and a half of it and ask if you can drain the front end and examine what comes out. If you get clean fluid with a tiny bit of moisture, then you have more confidence on what is going on inside. If you get a brown foamy-chunky mass tinged with rusty spots and brown rust grit, re-fill it and walk away. That differential is about to detonate and the bearings are hours away from seizing. If you have access to a borescope video probe, this is the perfect time to use one.

You could end up dropping $1500-2000 in parts alone on that front end -plus labor. That doesn't fit in with your "using it rather than working on it" plan. Or, hammer the price down $3000 and take it into the dealer for their assessment. You show the owner a drain pan full of rusty crap and they are going to realize that there are absolute costs associated with leaving a piece of machinery out in the weather 24/7.

My L3800 lists either UDT or 80-90 for the front end. I bet that older machine has 80-90. My owners manual lists 4.8qts so that one might be larger. Take a gallon and a half with you to be sure.

The Hobbs meter should tick over in as little as 6 minutes. If you drive it before draining the front end, drive it around for 6 minutes and see if it ticks over a tenth. If not, be very wary of the advertised 1000 hours. For a machine like that, even if used very lightly on a "gentleman's farm," it should have closer to 3-4000 hours on it over 25 years. Overall condition is what matters but I bet it has more than 1000 hours on it. If the meter is toast, you know it does too. More bargaining for your price.

Wish I could offer better assistance sir!

Let us know how it works out...

Ray

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Greg,

Since I slept on it, there are two alternatives to checking the front end fluids...

Don't move it. Drain it as is. This would show you how much water was in the case because more of it would be separated from the oil. But, the next question wold be, "OK. How much damage did it do?" Which brings us to alternative number two...

Put it in 4WD and run it for at least 6-10 minutes. This would check the Hobbs meter! And, if you could get it up to a high rate of speed, it would froth up the fluid in the front end so that when you drained it, you would see more of the "nasty bits" floating around in that case. If the fluid you drain comes out like brown or rust-colored froth (like ancient radiator fluid), you can pretty much write off that front end. Or at least the bearings (5 total? Plus spider gears -if there are any? On a 4WD there may not be any spiders.)

On the other hand, if it comes out essentially clean with some froth at the end and a few rusty shavings, you might not be in as bad a shape. In either case, you can show the owners what your concern is. The mere possibility of a front end problem puts their pricing on ice.

Most 4WD front differentials are pretty simple. You have the input shaft, supported by bearings, some spider gears (usually on bushing bearings) and then the output shafts and associated gears and bearings. The U-joints and steering bits are outside of the front end so they shouldn't be affected. I can't image the parts running more that $15-1800 unless the half-shafts gear faces are so pitted and shot that they need to be replaced. Getting those for a 25 year-old machine might be a challenge. Current manufacture non-OEM bearings might be an easy swap -and much cheaper. Might do some pre-emptive checking at Messicks parts web site. Or call your nearest Kubota dealer or equipment service center. You can get a wag on labor and total cost as well.

Just a thought.

One other thing: Do you have a 8,000lb capacity trailer and a tow vehicle to pull it? I bet this old puppy weighs in with that BH at close to 6000 lbs. If you buy it and either take it home or directly to a service center, be ready for this thing. Its gonna be a Heavy Jose. Remember that the weight of the trailer is included in the GW rating of the trailer. And, with the BH, its going to be more top heavy than just the tractor alone.

Ray

(HEY D2, Sean, or anyone else with heavy repair experience... any ideas or thoughts??? Anything else Greg should look out for????)

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
BackHoe Question:

I am not sure that back hoe would fit most new machines. The pictures show a separate seat out back for it which means the whole mount and frame for it are way longer (deeper) than most of the more modern and lighter BH's that are made to disconnect fairly easily. I am thinking this one stays on. The newer models swivel the driver seat for operation from the cab -I believe.

Some of our guys have backhoes and should be able to answer that. All the leaky valve bits should be easy DIY stuff. Even hose replacements can be made custom at hose shops that deal in just making up custom hoses for 1/2 the price of OEM.

More worthless advice from a guy on the "Intranet" who you ave never met!!!

:)

Ray

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
Thanks Ray.. GREAT Advice. I will do exactly what you said. I had already planned to change anyways so this is a good way to get started if I do decide to buy it. My wife is pretty set that she is not willing to pay more than 16500 for the tractor. He is asking 18900... so that is a 2500 discount to start with but if the front end is toast then we are back up to 18900 and not sure if that is hight for this model or not.

Thanks again for the advice and we will see... I will keep you posted

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry little late to the game but here is my 2 cents:

BY IT! The price is good for your area, if not great.
Yes you can buy 99% of the parts new and they can be sent right to your door.
That model is a tough one, well built, and very few things that can go wrong.
If it doesn't have them on it, plan on getting a set of three point arms for all the uses of that system.
Pull the backhoe off in the winter and put a snow blower on the back and you will be set right up for winter.

The fluid being frothy doesn't concern me as your temps will make it do that. Get it home and do a full fluid and filter change, Aproxx $200.
Put UDT in the front axle not 80-90, in your temp range it will work better.
I use Mystik JT-5 for everything hydraulic and 5W-30 for the motor, no synthetic stuff for these old dogs just plain old dino blend.

For the heater, 2 things off the top of my head, these models run cool so it might not have gotten up to temp, second would be that it might have a inline shut off for summer so look for that.

One of your first purchases would be the WSM (Work Shop Manual) it will give you all the specs, checks, and repair procedures.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks Sean!!!!

Yeah, if you can get it for YOUR price, using the iccky fluid as a motivator, I think you might just get a heck of a deal.

Keep us tuned.

Ray

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
A bit thin on advice pertaining to the machine itself, but perhaps a comment or two pertaining to backhoes may assist:

1. Get a frame-mount backhoe that can be set off the tractor under its own power, unless you want a dedicated hoe.

2. 3-point lift backhoes can be useful but usually are slightly underpowered not in the horsepower sense but rather they are supported on the 3-point lift assembly and are therefore somewhat hanging off in space. Easy to bend things if not careful.

3. No experience about the bucket being converted to quick-attach but if you can turn up the dipper-stick mating piece or can fabricate something that matches the bucket (you need a good welder) something can probably be produced. NOTE welding on the machine will reduce resale value, which you mention in your post.

4. A backhoe is a collection of leaks waiting to appear, usually at the least possible opportune moment.

5. Replace all hoses immediately after purchase if you want to work the machine without interruption. Especially if older OEM hoses are present. Use hoses fabricated by commercial big-city hydraulic shop, not a corner automotive parts house. Use premium hoses only. Blow and wash hose internals completely clean before installation to save hydraulic pump and valve problems.

6. If you do the hose work yourself, you need a set of high-quality 'service' or 'hydraulic' open-end wrenches (expensive, but a one-time lifetime buy) AND a set of 'crow-foot flare-nut' ratchet-drive wrenches (Sears is best value)---in addition to other basic handtools. A crescent and pipe wrench will only cause you problems and should not be used on hose connections.

7. Do not use field-installable hose-end connections other than in emergency and then cut them off and use "real" connections sooner rather than later. Field-installable hydraulic hose-end connections will not stand the pressure and pulsations present in your system.

8. After changing hoses, change hydrauic fluid and filters within couple hours run time, ideally spent working every hydraulic circuit repeatedly. Even if you did clean hoses internally.

9. Stripped filler cap is mentioned. Replace cap. If cap has vent pointing 'up', use rubber fuel line to bend opening 'down' and restrain in that position (it only needs a small hole, matchstick size). Stripped cap is letting in soil and moisture. New cap, change hoses, run machine, replace fluid and filters.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I fear Greg may have missed the tractor -or the seller is sticking to his price despite the possible damage. Bummer.