G 6200 block heater install

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I am looking at installing a block heater into my G6200 garden tractor. Has anyone done this before and if so where would the installation long be on the engine. The kubota dealer here doesn't know the install location and the heater itself is a screw in fixture. I took some pictures and will try to upload them. Thanks for any help. This is my first post. I generally just troll through the posts on here because I just like mechanical things and enjoy reading about tractors and such.
Chris

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Welcome to the forum, don't know a thing about your model, but...

Gotta be somewhere on the water jacket of the motor. Some have it on the back of the block, dead center. Others have it on the side most I've seen, behind and under the manifold. If it has in the back, sometimes that is the tough one to put in, under the manifold, not so bad... :D:D

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I found a freeze plug on the end of the head where the front of the tractor is. I think that would be considered the rear of the motor. It is behind the bracket for the air filter and engine fuel filter. Only thing is, it appears that there are no threads to screw in this heater. Appears to have a smooth bore. Thanks for the suggestions Diydave. I wonder if there is an adapter that would make it work? I'll keep checking around.
Chris

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
But the way Diydave, would that be the intake manifold or the exhaust manifold?
Chris

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Often much simpler to install a heater into the lower radiator hose: a 'lower radiator hose heater unit'. I've got one on every piece of water-cooled rolling stock.

Look for Kats brand (red 'T' shape) by Five Star Manufacturing out of Tennessee. If you must, they also offer in-block insertion models. Look up their catalog on their website.

Avoid other brands offred by parts houses as cross-referenced part numbers as they are usually larger in size and lower heat output.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Unfortunately the lower radiator T heater would not work because of space needed to install the component. I am going to call kubota to see if they have an adapter to go into the freeze plug hole on the back of the motor. I measured it and it is 30 mm. I week snap some pics and post for y'all to see.
Chris

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA

Left picture shows a pretty easy install. Take a drill/driver and screw in a self drilling, self tapping sheet metal screw, about a 1/4" diameter, screw it in till it firms up, then take a claw hammer or crowbar and pop the screw and FP out. then instal the FP heater according to mfr's instructions, generally with the loop pointing down, IIRR...:D:D

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Today I made the trip over to Kubota and checked out the block heater and the measurement for the adapter that goes into the freeze plug opening. Unfortunately it measures 32 mm. My opening is 30 mm. Diydave, would a downturned element on an aftermarket heater fit in the head? I did a Google search and found that 30 mm heaters are available, just a little concerned on the fitment. I'd there allot of room in the head for one of those? The kubota heaters were all recessed within the fitting that would either screw into the block or fit in a freeze plug location.
Chris

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Today I made the trip over to Kubota and checked out the block heater and the measurement for the adapter that goes into the freeze plug opening. Unfortunately it measures 32 mm. My opening is 30 mm. Diydave, would a downturned element on an aftermarket heater fit in the head? I did a Google search and found that 30 mm heaters are available, just a little concerned on the fitment. I'd there allot of room in the head for one of those? The kubota heaters were all recessed within the fitting that would either screw into the block or fit in a freeze plug location.
Chris

Best advice I can give, would be to pop the plug, and see what kind of room you have to work in. If you can't put a heater in there, a FP is only about 50 cents. Pop a picture of the hole empty, and post them here, others will chime in with their thoughts...:D

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I will acquire some parts and do that. It may be a week or two before I can work on it some more, but I will update with some pictures when I do. Thanks for the info! :)

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Update....
I've been reading on some other sites and ran across part number
70000-17552. It is listed for a d902 engine but it is for a 30 mm freeze plug application. Went to the bota dealer and have it coming my way. I will update when the part comes in.
Chris

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Update....
I've been reading on some other sites and ran across part number
70000-17552. It is listed for a d902 engine but it is for a 30 mm freeze plug application. Went to the bota dealer and have it coming my way. I will update when the part comes in.
Chris
It appears this unit uses the same heating element as the Kats and Tisco 11461 just a different outer bushing "maybe". I'm trying to locate this bushing part # I get the feeling it is all the same and the 11461B bushing's taper allows it to be tapped into a freeze plug size range from 30mm to 35mm unless the 30mm is not a press in but a screw in. Then for sure it is a different bushing. One with threads inner and outer. Look forward to your pics to see difference between the 70000 17552 part, 70000 9500 part, and the 11461

Last edited:

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
So today I finally had some time to do the install of my block heater

First the bracket for the air filter had to come off. There are two 12mm bolts at the bottom. Next I had to remove the air inlet hoses and a 12mm bolt that holds the fuel filter housing to the bracket.

Once everything was out of the way, I had a clear shot at the freeze plug. I used a hammer and a long blunt punch to tap the top of the plug inward causing it to rotate in the middle and using the punch, pried the plug out. Took all of 10 seconds. Also, most would drain the block of antifreeze, I didn't so that debris would not accidentally get into the head.

Afterwards, I wiped any residue around the plug hole and using a socket, tapped the heater into the hole. Super simple.

Applied some high heat paint per the instructions.

And then reinstalled everything I removed earlier. The air filter bracket had a hole in it already to accommodate the heater. All in all, pretty slick.

Keep in mind that this will work with the g3200, g4200, g5200 as well as my g6200. The biggest challenge was finding the correct part number that would work with this tractor.

Chris

Reactions: 1 user