Backhoe falling

iansmithideal

Sep 15, 2015
Diss, Norfolk, GB
Hi All. I run a B8200 with backhoe attachment. I have recently had both lifting rams serviced with new seals to combat the dropping arm. I do not have great knowledge of hydraulics, would anyone have a suggestion as to why the arm is dropping. I have tried closing the valve on the cylinder but the arm will still drop.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Ian

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Dropping while not running is normal. If it is dropping while running using it is a valve problem. Most backhoes have a pin to hold the hoe when not in use.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Hi All. I run a B8200 with backhoe attachment. I have recently had both lifting rams serviced with new seals to combat the dropping arm. I do not have great knowledge of hydraulics, would anyone have a suggestion as to why the arm is dropping. I have tried closing the valve on the cylinder but the arm will still drop.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Ian

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk
Unless the cylinder is in perfect shape, even rebuilt cylinders will leak internally to themselves over time, it's a lot of pressure to hold back for seals on imperfect surfaces. You could seal both ends of the cylinder and still get leak down for the same reason.

I know a lot of rebuilds skip the re-truing and honing of the interior cylinder, just relying on the new seals to do the job. It will work pretty good, but they will still leak down unless they are put back on a lathe, skim cut, and honed.

The difference in leak down is the time it takes. A worn cylinder will leak down constantly, even during use. A seal rebuild will generally make the use leak down go away but you can leave it up and by the next morning it will be down again.

Cylinders and rams are so inexpensive these days that it's a toss up to rebuild or replace one.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
If you're are talking about the stabilizers mine has always fallen since new. The bucket will open with time, the boom stays put. But the stabilizers always fall in a couple of weeks. I have to be sure there is nothing in the way they might damage if I don't use it for a while. I thought it was normal. Maybe not?

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
I keep about a 4 foot piece of rope with a hook on each end to park my BH 92. Run it between the foot pads of the outriggers to keep them up. Hoe has less than 25 hrs on it.

Doc

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I keep about a 4 foot piece of rope with a hook on each end to park my BH 92. Run it between the foot pads of the outriggers to keep them up. Hoe has less than 25 hrs on it.

Doc

My BX25d with 175 hours drops about 1/4" a day........every time I fire it up - first thing I have to do is raise them up all the way!

hoe on bucket drops too !;)