Engine Error Code

tjb37

Equipment
Kubota Grand L3560 HSTC, LA805 Loader, Land Pride mower and box blade
Sep 17, 2015
Glenwood, IA
Hi, everyone. I'm a new member, and I wanted to see if anyone is having the same kind of issue that I'm currently dealing with. I'd like to offer my humble input.

My 2013 L3560 starting throwing the P2414 service code a few months ago. The tractor would immediately go into protection mode with reduced power and the automatic exhaust gas regeneration system would disengage. I would shut down the tractor and within a couple of minutes it would reset and let me start working again without the protection mode. However, it would eventually throw the code again. It got so bad that it would throw it every 5 minutes and I'd have to wait for almost 5 minutes before I could start working again. After analysis by our local Kubota service center, the Kubota regional rep, and Kubota corporate, the error code was finally defined and replicated on the dyno at the local service center.

They said that the code means that my EGR valve is overheating, and it shouldn't be ignored. The ECU is reading the sensors on the engine and exhaust and telling the valve to open and close, as needed. According to the rep, that valve is supposed to move relatively infrequently, and should move to the spot that it's needed while under load. But for some reason the valve on my tractor is almost constantly in motion, which causes it to overheat. They've installed a completely new EGR valve system, a new ECU computer, and troubleshooted all of the sensors. The computer still throws the code under load. The Kubota rep just authorized the installation of a whole new wiring harness to hopefully address the problem because they think there might be a short in the system. I'm not so sure about that, but I'm glad that they're taking it seriously. The harness is being sent priority overnight to the service center. They assure me that they're NOT going to just leave me hanging and tell me that I have to deal with it. We'll see what happens, and I'll post an update.

I know that my P2414 experience could be completely different than others. I just wanted to add my thoughts to the conversation.

Also - most of the time that my tractor threw the P2414 code was when the weather was very hot, no moisture, and I was working under a load like mowing or scraping with the box blade. A REGEN was NOT in progress. I spoke to the Kubota rep about that, and he said that my tractor should not continue to have this problem because of the heat. My tractor is well cared for with only around 180 hours on it. The service center has checked all over the engine for dirty or failing components, and found none.

It's also worth noting that the service center replicated the P2414 code within 30 minutes while on a dyno in their air conditioned shop. So there wasn't any extreme heat to add to the equation.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks tjb, every little bit of information on these new tractors helps. Keep us posted.

C5drvr

Equipment
L3560
Sep 26, 2015
Texas
Tjb37 do you have any update on getting yours fixed? I have experienced this code twice on my L3560. Once while just mowing in 100 degree heat and once when it went into regen while mowing. I reset the code by getting into the service menu using the key and dash button. I did find that I had let the radiators get a little too dirty last time it happened.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Well I thought I'd dust off my radiator screens and noticed that I had some buildup from tall weeds in the radiator fins. I pulled the lower shroud and all the screens up front and got in there with the air hose. Seems like I just kept blowing stuff out forever. Finally I was satisfied that it was mostly clear. Been running it hard since and it hasn't thrown the code again. Odd thing is the screens didn't seem to be doing the job of keeping the debris from clogging the radiator core and the temp gauge never seemed to be above normal. Still lovin this Baby Grand Tractor.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Well I thought I had it figured out. I just needed to blow the dust out of the radiator fins occasionally, but it seems to still be an issue. I have gone to using the high pressure car wash to clear the radiator fins after every use that has excessively tall weed or excessive dust. I am still getting the error code occasionally, but not as often. It is annoying to have to see the error code every time I start my tractor. My Kubota Service guy says its not a big deal and resets the code. I'm at 320 hours now. Still lovin this Baby Grand Tractor.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Update on the Error Code P2414.

I haven't thrown the code in several months. I purchased a 24 inch Air Wand that blows out of five holes near the end at a 90 degree angle. It works really well at getting between the AC cooler, HYD Fluid cooler, and Radiator to get ALL of the dust blown out. It's a bit of a pain to take off the lower shroud to remove the large screen so often, but it's worth it to know that I won't overheat the EGR and throw the code. The screens rarely have more than a bit of dirt along the lower inch or two.

Still lovin this Baby Grand.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Update on the Error Code P2414.

I am still throwing the P2414 Code occasionally, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as I now disassemble and thoroughly blow out all of the cooler fins after each use. The Air Wand works wonders. Service Center said they had reset the code with their computer multiple times, but it was still displaying when cycling through my dash. Turns out it must be reset from the dash by holding the display button while turning on the key. Cycle to D on the display. Hold the display button to enter D. Hold the display button to reset the error code, then power off to save the reset.

I've had my tractor for 2 years now and I'm at 650 hours.
The service center finally did the EGR Update. I now have shiny tinfoil in my engine compartment.
The PTO has failed to engage a couple of times, but I am unable to duplicate it when it is at the Service Center, so they are unable to diagnose the issue.

Still lovin this Baby Grand. :D

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
Well I thought I had it figured out. I just needed to blow the dust out of the radiator fins occasionally, but it seems to still be an issue. I have gone to using the high pressure car wash to clear the radiator fins after every use that has excessively tall weed or excessive dust. I am still getting the error code occasionally, but not as often. It is annoying to have to see the error code every time I start my tractor. My Kubota Service guy says its not a big deal and resets the code. I'm at 320 hours now. Still lovin this Baby Grand Tractor.

I would be careful using high pressure as it will bend the fins over and restrict airflow.