RimGuard ballast worth every penny!

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Just had Pete's Tire Barn here in CT come and install rim guard on my B9200. They did their calculations and said 25-30 gallons of fluid should go in each of my 13.6-16 rear turf tires. I don't know how many other places do RimGuard here in CT but they were less than professional. They took several attempts to even show up (even though I scheduled a week in advance), bent my rim to hell trying to remove the old tire (I had a turf tire replaced while they were there), then couldn't fill the tire correctly (blamed it on the pump) and had to come back and try again (with the same pump they claimed that they swapped the parts from another pump, rather than admit they didn't know how to operate the filling valve). I can't wait to see the bill.

The filling method was quite simple and archaic. I had hoped they would have had a meter for the fill pump but alas, it was just one of those 330gal square crates filled with rimguard, and marks on the side of the tank at 25 gallon increments. The guy eyeballed and seemed to fill close to the right amount but he definitely err'd on the side of too little.

He removed the valve stem, attached the fill adapter and started an air powered pump that pumped the rim guard into the tire. Took about 15 minutes per side, it pumped at least 50% of the fluid in the first 5 minutes but got slower as the tire got filled.

I gotta admit, the cleanup is easy and the results are awesome.

I have a steep hill that I have to mow and normally use 4wd to make it up since the rear will spin. With the loaded tires, no need for 4wd. I could even drive on the side hill.

Now for the real reason I loaded them....I have "adjusted" my BF350 loader relief pressure up to close to the system max (1930psi per kubota) rather than where it was set from the factory. I can lift the rear of the tractor off the ground with no issues if I dive into too big of a load. I have a home-made set of forks that I use weekly and its pretty easy to grab too much at once. I have a concrete counterweight that's approx 500-800lbs but never was enough to make the machine safe with heavy loads. With 550lbs of rim-guard I was able to grab onto a bulk container full of oak firewood (44"x44"x44" of wood, almost 1/2 cord) and the rear did not come up. This is without my counterweight! Once I add the counter weight I'm sure the machine will be able to lift more than it ever has and be much more stable in the meantime.

Yes, I know we have to remember safety, heavy loads on side hills, lifting heavy loads too high, bending buckets or frames, etc etc etc.....however if you're looking for extra lifting capacity...rim guard is about $.28/lb compared to over $2/lb for steel weights. All without any corrosive or environmental issues of calcium chloride...

I'm sold on Beet juice!

patjsimpson

Equipment
B7100, tiling, mowing
Jul 13, 2015
mead, wa
funny, I had a similar experience where I had my tires/rims replaced. they recommended filling with bio ballast (beet juice) and it took them 45 minutes to figure out how to do it. Apparently the guy who normally does it went home already. However they did take the time to do it right. Apparently rotate the tire till the valve is at 6 o'clock then move to 12 o'clock to release a little pressure then back to 6 to fill the rest of the way and back to 12pm to allow the pressure to push ballast out till it is at the level of the valve at 12 o'clock. That is supposed to give it the right level with some expansion and air room.

Anyway they are pretty darn heavy. Now I just need a concrete 3pt counter weight myself ;-)

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
My guy definitely didn't do my tires that way. They were filled on the machine and I insisted to put the valves at 12 o clock (he wanted to fill at 3 o clock position). He never stopped to release pressure (I asked that a few times but he didn't want to accept any suggestions). My rear tires were over 20 psi when he was done...I waited till he left and then let the pressure out so I wasn't rolling on two rocks. He didn't even have a pressure gauge that would accurately read below 20psi.

MizzouTiger

Equipment
L3200HST w/LA524 FEL, Rhino BX66 & RX5, Land Pride FDR1672
Sep 19, 2015
West Central Missouri
I need this ha-ha. As the last time I used my loader moving 40,000 lbs of dirt around the shop fixing where it had eroded. The tractor was way tippy in the back and thought I was going to lay it on its side with a load of dirt. Mind you I only had my bucket about 18" off the ground and going up the grade at a slight angle. As there was not enough room for going straight shot where I needed to drop the loads the further I got back along the side of the building.

Called rim guard and they gave me the numbers to three local tire shops. Closest one in Holden is no longer in business. Second closest in Centerview said they'd do it for $3/lbs said it would be a total of about $189 for both tires at 29 gallons each with tax.

Sounds pretty reasonable for about 620 pounds of added weight. Whats y'all think? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BX25D KY

Equipment
BX25D
Sep 26, 2015
Ky.
My new 2015 back tires say Rim Guard on the tire with a 1-800 phone #. Does this mean they came from the factory with the Rim Guard in the tires?

CDNBX25D

Equipment
BX25D, Bro-tech wheel spacers/skid plate, Ken's bolt-on hooks, LED light bars
May 24, 2015
Saskatchewan
Had the rear tires on my BX25D done at Grahams Tire in Regina. I took the tires in to them so they filled by breaking the bead on one side and with the tires laying on their sides filled it up. Each tire took 8 gallons. Price was $3.95 gallon ( CDN$) Total was CDN$160.00

So far very happy with the results.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Had the rear tires on my BX25D done at Grahams Tire in Regina. I took the tires in to them so they filled by breaking the bead on one side and with the tires laying on their sides filled it up. Each tire took 8 gallons. Price was $3.95 gallon ( CDN$) Total was CDN$160.00

I am looking at loading the rears in my BX25, wondering if it will increase the impact on the grass when mowing. Any experience to relate?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
ron unless the ground is very very wet you wont have a problem but then when its wet you make your turns WIDE and come back on you BX that should give you about 70 pounds per wheel and that will make a difference.
I sometimes wonder if a lot of these shops even tell these guys the proper way to fill a tire, or some of these guys even care to start with.

CDNBX25D

Equipment
BX25D, Bro-tech wheel spacers/skid plate, Ken's bolt-on hooks, LED light bars
May 24, 2015
Saskatchewan
I should add that the guy doing the filling said that with large tires they pump it in thru the valve stem, but since this was such a small job he did it this way and let it gravity flow in to the tires out of their big tank outside the shop.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I'm going with Rim Guard for my new B6200. We have hilly land and while I won't be mowing with this machine I want it as stable as I can get it.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My dealer did beet juice front and back. He does all tractors as part of PDI.

It is easy to check if it is right. I took an yellow crayon and marked each tire where the valve was, to make it easy to see from the set. Drove forward until a tire showed the valve as vertical/12 O'clock. Let a little air out. No juice/liquid should come out (a slight mist is OK). Drive and get the valve to 10 or 2 O'clock, repeat. A squirt of pure liquid should come out. Get the tire back to 12 O'clock, check and set the tire pressure.
If liquid comes out at the 12 O'clock position, pump in some air and recheck. If the tire is too low, you'll get a false reading. If it is over filled and tire pressure is right or even high, bleed out the juice over fill. The tire has to have the airspace. Too much airspace is better than too little.

Some go through the effort of raising the tractor in the air to remove load from the tires though unless you have very low pressures set, this is not needed. Some too, set pressure not with a pressure gauge but by measuring the OD of the tire. I do not think this is needed unless one tire is replaced and you are mismatched right to left. In this case, you want to make them the same OD. Set the new tire to OEM setting. Add air if needed to bring the diameter of the other, old tire up to match. Record the pressure. It should not exceed the numbers molded into the tire.

When driving on lawn or gravel or any 'soft material', drive slow. Make your turns as wide a turn as you can. Be moving before you gradually turn the wheel. If at all possible, drive on the lawn following your mower stripes. I have to cross my lawn right in front of my house once or twice a week. You cannot tell. Leave no trace behind.

MizzouTiger

Equipment
Sep 19, 2015
West Central Missouri
Have a appointment set for 10am tomorrow to get the drive tires filled. Said it will take a couple hours. 15-19.5 R4 tires.

Woo I really like this 650# extra in the back end now. No more bounciness to the ride. Stays planted better now. Probably around 65 gallons in the drives now. Place had about a 3000 gallon tank behind the shop where they did the filling outside.

Last edited:

MizzouTiger

Equipment
Sep 19, 2015
West Central Missouri
They also dismounted and sealed the bead and remounted the left steer tire for me while I was there. As it was slowly leaking around the bead.

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Good stuff Missou....

One thing most people complain about Kubota's is that they're too light. Compared to a similar hp Mahindra or JD, they are almost always lighter by at least 1000lbs or more.

The upside is that people can tow an XX hp kubota with that much smaller of a truck, trailer, etc. It will make that much smaller impact on your lawn, ground, etc.

If you have the need, you load the tires and you get the best of both worlds. A machine you can lighten or make heavier as needed.

I have used many loaded and unloaded tractors and for almost all use, I would opt for the loaded tires.

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I am doing just this on my BX25 in Manitoba. I was quoted $3.95 per gallon as well. Based on the manual I believe the fill capacity is 10 gallons per tire, or $80 for 20 gallons. How come you were charged $160? That's like almost $100 for installation.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
That is probably close to ah hour of labor, from what my dealer said it is very slow and takes someone to babysit the process. Not hard just takes some time. Still worth it if you ask me.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
There has to be a machine for loading tires. You enter in a number of gallons (over filling slightly), connect to the tire and walk away.

Simple design. 5 psi of air in the tire. Pump in fluid until PSI is say 40. Bleed off air until psi is back to 5 then return to pumping fluid in. Repeat until all fluid is in. Then pump to 40 psi and watch the return. When it stops being fluid (a sensor could determine this easy enough), you have a full tire. Set pressure. You only have to be there to connect and disconnect.

A more manual setup would be a big drum filled on a table, above the valve core. Connect and let the air burp out and fluid in. It will stop flowing once the valve becomes submerged. Slow process.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
$125 for my 33x12.5x15 rears. I believe it added #235 a tire. Huge difference bush hogging on hills. Got it done for snow plowing for the winter of no snow....