B7100-D Ignition Switch Wiring Question

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
On a B7100-D Ignition switch has anyone metered all the different connection terminals for all the different switch positions ?

I'm having issues starting and running now, and I trying to troubleshoot the issue. It is looking like the ignition switch is the issue. Would like to know what a good switch has for connectivity.

Would like to know what terminals are connected when...

TERMINALS:
30 - Always HOT - Wired to Battery via starter post.
AC

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Explain what is going on, completely, as the ignition switch has Zero to do with the tractor running on that model. ;)
Yes it controls the starter and glow plugs, but that's about it.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is the schematic:

30 - Always HOT - Wired to Battery via starter post.
AC - lights, oil light, optional work light
50 - Starter through the clutch pedal safety switch
17 - Glow plugs (powered when in crank)
19 - Glow plug indicator then to glow plugs (powered in glow plug position)

Attachments

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks Wolfman. I do appreciate your help... Your explanation of the terminals is a big help.

I have been working her hard and the issues have been creeping up on me over a period of weeks. It started with the running lights fluctuating in intensity, then the headlights were not not working, then glow plug indicator not working, but I was still able to start her. Last issue was she would not start with pre-heat.

I was able to start her by turning key to start position for 10 seconds with clutch out then depress the clutch and start her. Now that no longer works.

I knew that terminal 19 was for pre-heat but was not sure about when 17 was powered. Your response cleared that up for me.

It appears that my ignition switch started breaking down and is now DOA.

As of today, I currently have no continuity between terminal 30 and 19 in the pre-heat position. No continuity between terminal 30 and 17 in the start position. No continuity between terminal 30 and AC in the run position. Terminal 30 to 50 are still working in the start position. :D

Today I was able to start her by using a jumper wire between 19 and 30 for 10 seconds then using the start position to turn her over.

Guess I am just trying to see what terminals have continuity to where, on a good switch for future reference and troubleshooting at this point.

Last edited: