What attachment to buy

kbreault

Jun 22, 2015
East Hartford,Ct
Hi all , I'm looking to buy an attachment to repair a class 4 road! roots rock, and very uneven. I've been thinking a rear scrap blade or a box scrapper. What to buy?
Any help on a major road repair!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Hi all , I'm looking to buy an attachment to repair a class 4 road! roots rock, and very uneven. I've been thinking a rear scrap blade or a box scrapper. What to buy?
A search in here might gain you some good answers. Search by my user name cause I started one of those threads :eek:

A lot will have to do with how compacted your existing road bed is, what it is made up of, etc etc. Oh and you might can rent the implement you need for this. I rented a Box Blade. Knowing now how compact my road is...... I should have used a Spike Rake or Field Harrow to deeply free up the surface first then used land plane

I went ahead and searched some and there is TON of them. Here is search link for Road Maintenance

Last edited:

jrepp44

Equipment
B2650
May 11, 2015
NE Louisiana
A search in here might gain you some good answers. Search by my user name cause I started one of those threads :eek:

A lot will have to do with how compacted your existing road bed is, what it is made up of, etc etc. Oh and you might can rent the implement you need for this. I rented a Box Blade. Knowing now how compact my road is...... I should have used a Spike Rake or Field Harrow to deeply free up the surface first then used land plane

I went ahead and searched some and there is TON of them. Here is search link for Road Maintenance
I agree with coachgeo - a land plane is my tool of choice for maintaining my dirt roads (I guess it would also work on gravel). I never got the hang of a box blade, always had the peaks and valleys.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Did see where someone makes a box blade with a flap that opens in the back which essentially makes it a small land plane also. A member here that made his own box blade designed this feature into his own. Said he copied concept from a manufacture who does same. Don't recall who though.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If the road is as bad as it sounds, you may be much better off considering several different implements. Each implement has a specific chore that it was designed to do well, and even though most are used for several different things and may even work well at several different things, really only designed for one type of work.

To start with, I would suggest a land plane grading scraper, (LPGS) even if it does not get the finished grade that you want, it gets the surface to where it is much easer to work with and get the end result that you need-want.

Once the road is how you want it, you will use the LPGS to keep it that way. Much faster and easier than most any other std type implement commonly used for road work.

Attachments

illiceman11

May 10, 2015
Perry,Ill.
Over many years I have used both.I still have both but by far prefer the box blade.While all my roads are now established I find the box blade is best.:)

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I'm solidly in the box blade camp, however, I would like to know what tractor you intend to use. I have a BX-25D, and I use a five foot box blade. It's too big for the tractor sometimes, but I also have a Ford 9N, so if I need to have the rippers down then I'll use the Ford. With it on the Kubota it sticks out well past the tires on both sides, so I can finish grade along the pond, or near a stone wall, where I couldn't get so close with the larger tractor. There is a learning curve, as with most tools. I've never used a land plane, so I can't disagree with the other folks who have suggested them.

Jerry

kbreault

Jun 22, 2015
East Hartford,Ct
Thanks for all the great info! The road is a class 4 road and is tough shape . My cabin is 1/2 mile off any maintained road in Vermont . I have a l3940 Kubota. I will get some Pics and post them . I was thinking of getting a box blade but I here they are difficult to use

Last edited by a moderator:

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
I've used the box blade, landscape rakes etc.. in the same quandary here lately and just picked up a Woods Grading Scraper (Land Plane Grading Scraper) and boy does it work well. I've about 1 1/4 mile of logging road I'm turning into a service road, and leveling some new fields... do yourself a favor and get a LPGS as mentioned above.. the right tool for the job!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here was my answer for whether to do a land plane or box blade :D just cut a line around 4" below the top on the back of a box blade. Weld on either some pipe hinges or gate hinges. Then cut another line across the back just above the cutting edge. Cut a line down each side. Then you have the best of both worlds. Plus rippers to chew it up :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Thanks for all the great info! The road is a class 4 road and is tough shape . My cabin is 1/2 mile off any maintained road in Vermont . I have a l3940 Kubota. I will get some Pics and post them . I was thinking of getting a box blade but I here they are difficult to use
KBreault,

What is your road made of? Gravel or dirt?

I don't think box blades are hard to use and there are plenty of demo movies on the internet. We use our box blade on our gravel driveway and also for smoothing out or eliminating dirt moguls around here. It is a terrific implement and doesn't take long to learn what it does and how to use it.

Other uses are cleaning ditches out or making a ditch. We even used ours to remove sod and to scrape out an area around a garage for easier access. I also used it to clear out duff for my neighbor who had a concern about fire under his trees.

We have none of the dips and rises some talk about.

If your tractor has good hydraulics on the 3 point and doesn't float, once you set the box blade properly, it will flatten at the level of your rear tires.

For all around use, it is likely the most versatile implement.

Burt

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Here was my answer for whether to do a land plane or box blade :D just cut a line around 4" below the top on the back of a box blade. Weld on either some pipe hinges or gate hinges. Then cut another line across the back just above the cutting edge. Cut a line down each side. Then you have the best of both worlds. Plus rippers to chew it up :D....
What do you use to hold the flap open when using it as a plane? Also please keep us posted if you feel this fabrication has caused any loss of integrity of the whole structure and what you do about it.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Gravel will open the tailgate and flow right out the back. It will fill up to a point first then start flowing. if you get any sod or grass in it, it will act as a plug though. Right now if I want it to stay open, a bungy cord has been a cheap solution till I figure out a more permanent fix. Top section on the back was reinforced with a 2x2 piece of angle iron. And was incorporated into the build to support the lift arms for the three point hitch. Only issue I've had is a couple welds have cracked. But those were welds from a harbor freight 120volt mig. So they are gonna get ground back down, and gone over with my stick welder when I get the 220 breaker and outlet installed in the garage.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm a box blade guy.
I've never used a land plane, (they look awesome) but I've watched my neighbor struggle with his rear blade trying to grade his drive evenly. He recently bought a box blade & loves it.

Tilted forward, (shorten the top link) it cuts aggressively, tilted back (lengthen the top link) it has more of a butter knife spreading action. Somewhere in between is a sweet spot that is perfect for easy grading/leveling- finding that spot was what sold me & made me a fan.

kbreault

Jun 22, 2015
East Hartford,Ct
I've heard the lpgs is a great tool to have , how is it at moving dirt? Looks like the box scraper would do a better job moving at moving material . I will have culverts to cut also.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I've heard the lpgs is a great tool to have , how is it at moving dirt? Looks like the box scraper would do a better job moving at moving material . I will have culverts to cut also.
A box blade is a great all around tool, every tractor owner should have one. For maintaining a drive, very hard to beat a LPGS. Secret is, have them both. ;)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have a Land Pride Grading Scraper and I can't imagine anything being easier to use or doing a better job on the 2 miles of driveway and road I am maintaining. On my roads and my tractor it works, but that is the only experience I have. The LPGS will move some dirt, I had some big pot holes and ruts before I started. You probably would not try to knock down a hill or fill a ditch with it. I also have a rear blade that I use to crown the roads. The grading scraper is supposed to do some crowning and it may help maintain a crown, but I need the the rear blade to put an effective crown on these roads.

Spurlucky

Equipment
Kubota MX5200, loader, Backhoe w, hydraulic thumb
Apr 19, 2015
Berkshire County, MA, USA
Has anyone bought from Everything Attachments Their products look made strong!?
I have a T10 74" Sicma roto-tiller & 72" Everything Attachments Bush hog due to arrive at my place Monday. They were great on the phone and I really like their how-to videos. Stuff seems well built in their demos.

Good luck with your quest.

Spurlucky