BX25D trailering

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I use a set of 4 Macs 10K HD ratchet straps with axle wraps and criss cross the front to the trailer, then wrap the rear axles straight out in the rears. set it up on your trailer so it balances 10% forward on your trailer. Chains are gonna scratch it up pretty good, but they will hold just fine.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What is the proper way to chain a BX25D on a trailer?

proper way? that will stir up many opinions !!!

I installed several ratchet point on my BX25D - they make it simple. Total cost for the 4 points was approx $25!:)

I bought 4 - 2" ratchet straps - cut the excess off so that I would not have 20 feet flapping in the wind ! :D Each strap is about 5 feet long - on my trailer allows for about 18" extra at each point.

the hardware on the tractor I got from harbor freight and then bought grade 8 bolts.

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
The proper way, in general, is to locate tractor (+ implement(s)) with weight about 10% forward of the axle (or 12% of the leading axle), tied/chained outside the width and forward of the wheels. (e.g., to the side of the trailer, and toward the front.) Then start the tractor and move it toward the rear until the strap/chain is very tight, then secure the tractor in the same manner from the rear.

No, silly! Not toward the front! Toward the back!

Implements are often left un-tethered, but should be fastened in a way to secure them to the bed -- e.g., with D-rings bolted to the bed.

Just a generalization of BS's and Hokie's excellent vacation -- er... advice.

Merlinhomeauto

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 9, 2015
Villas, NJ
May have to try the axel straps as I am not ready to drill into tractor. All the equipment I have owned or rented always had some kind of tie down points just seems strange not to have them on this machine.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
May have to try the axel straps as I am not ready to drill into tractor. All the equipment I have owned or rented always had some kind of tie down points just seems strange not to have them on this machine.
I too was somewhat leery of drilling into the tractor, got over that quickly after the piranha tooth bar!;)

All holes are drilled in places that are not part of the "structure" if that makes sense, the holes in the front - one was already there on both sides!:)

I find it hard to "chain/strap" the hoe down and or the bucket for that matter. Any chain around the hoe or bucket is out of the question - placing pressure on the hydraulics, I have tied down via the brush guard - did not like the position however. And when finding a place to strap down the hoe.....nothing was what I really wanted to pull on hard. This way I have 4 points on the trailer outside at the furthest points, and on the trailer there are also 4 points outside the perimeter. All points force the tractor to squat on the bed. All points are pulling outside-in and all have down pressure. Only thing that I have to still do is pivot the hoe around!:eek:

Craiger265

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 26, 2015
Manitoba Canada
I was using 3" ratchet straps as of lately but was getting the feeling it wasn't going to hold it down sometimes. Now I use 2 chains, front and back, roughly 10-12 ft in length each with ratchet load binders. After getting used to it I like it better than the straps and its faster to strap down. When the chain is going to be in contact with part of the tractor or implement that I don't want damaged or scratched, I use old carpet to put between the chain and contact point. I will post pics when I load my tractor up this week for a job.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Boy, does that bring back memories: 8 or 9 years old, watching mom and dad square dancing. "Swing the hoe with a dosiedo; allemende left with a grand left turn..." :p
swinging a hoe around can be a real PITA.......even if she is skinny!:eek::p

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Another picture, wish I could have put all in just the one post.
You would have to look at the laws in your state, I believe that they consider the loader and backhoe movable objects. If that's the case,then they would also need to be chained separately. Is your way safe? Yes, legal????

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Actually, here in manitoba the hoe needs to be chained down. Bucket too. Not many people do it on the small machines. Myself, i would lower hoe and outriggers, unfortunately it will beat the crap out of machine and trailer deck. Figuring out a way to float hoe and bucket than it would not be so much of an issue.

One highways inspector in a bad mood could ruin your day.

Craiger265

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 26, 2015
Manitoba Canada
Actually, here in manitoba the hoe needs to be chained down. Bucket too. Not many people do it on the small machines. Myself, i would lower hoe and outriggers, unfortunately it will beat the crap out of machine and trailer deck. Figuring out a way to float hoe and bucket than it would not be so much of an issue.

Thanks for that bit of info. You think I can find where and who to get the legal way of securing a load down in Manitoba...like pulling teeth LoL. I am just going off the guys from my dealer and a few guys I know that trailer alot. Before I was strapping the hoe and bucket but stopped after I started using the chains. I will strap them down again to be on the safe side again. Tooljunkie you know where I can get the info I need for this? Thanks for the response guys!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA

I'd suggest a couple of cheap ($5.99) Harbor Freight moving blankets. Keep it folded into a small rectangle for the backhoe and drop the bucket on it and chain down. Easier on the trailer boards. Same goes for the front loader, but widen out the blanket to about 4 thicknesses, then chain.

If you have bucket hooks on the hoe and loader, it will keep you from scratching up your loader or hoe arm(s).

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Attachments