Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Eric McCarthy

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: Kubota B6100E
Default Bushhog, Gearbox or spindle.

I have a slight booboo with my bush hog and I'm not sure if I need to replace the entire gear box or just a spindle. It took a helluva hit a while back and the bush hog wobbles like crazy all over the place. I looked underneath there today and I could grab the stump jumper and shake the entire blade assembly side to side and see it wobble at the spindle. So I'm not sure if I can get away with just a spindle or do I need a whole new gear box?

I reckon I'll crawl under there in the am and take a better look at things.
Thanks kids!

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Sam427
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Default Re: Bushhog, Gearbox or spindle.

I hit a buried cable with my Woods and it sheared the input shaft off. They wouldn't sell just the shaft, I have to buy the whole gearbox. Lesson to all with a slip clutch and the shear bolt, used equipment may not have the correct parts in them, mine had a grade 8 bolt in it, and the clutch was froze up from sitting out in the weather, viola, broke shaft!
Sam427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Eric McCarthy

VIP Service Tech

Agri Supply has a gear box pretty cheap for about 100 bucks. I wasn't sure if the spindle could be replaced or if I had to replace the whole gearbox. So it looks like a new gearbox is in the future.

THANKS!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
thirtyacres
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam427 View Post
Lesson to all with a slip clutch and the shear bolt, used equipment may not have the correct parts in them, mine had a grade 8 bolt in it, and the clutch was froze up from sitting out in the weather, viola, broke shaft!
So........what grade shear bolt should be used on brush hogs........and how do you tell the grade number?

Thanks.......bob
thirtyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Rust Addict
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B6000E

Hold up on them new parts for just one second. Have you pulled the box off of there yet and tried to get you hand on just the broken part? If it is a clean snap on the shaft and you far enough from the seal diameter and spline you could look at a weld repair. If you not tooled to do it yourself, find a local fabricator, they may be able to get you going again for dirt cheap.

I've only ever know shear pins to be one grade, SOFT. These have the two little rings where you usually see all the bolt threads.
Rust Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Eric McCarthy

VIP Service Tech

I have not got that far yet. Just looking for some ideas on what needs to be done. The bush hog as a stump jumper on it and that has a pretty nasty blend on it which I assume would need to be straightened back out. I can grab ahold of the stump jumper assembly and shake the hole thing side to side pretty far. I had hopes of taking the gearbox off and seeing if I can get it welded back together perhaps.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Sam427
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyacres View Post
So........what grade shear bolt should be used on brush hogs........and how do you tell the grade number?

Thanks.......bob
Most of the shear bolts in any piece of equipment are Grade 2, at the very absolute most, a Grade 5. The equipment comes with the correct size bolt and grade, so as to shear the bolt instead of damaging the equipment. I bought a box of grade 2 bolts for my post hole digger, digging in rocks usually breaks quite a few, I have broke as many as three in one hole before. At least it just shears the bolt and not break something though.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
ipz2222
Journeyman

Equipment: L235, bx2670

Sam, grade #'s. SAE bolts "american' have hash marks on the socket head end. 3 hash marks is grade 5 and 5 hash marks are grade 8. Most grade 8 bolts are also yellow cadmium colored.
Metric bolts have a number in the end. 5.8 is low grade and 8.8 medium and 10.8 is high grade.
ipz2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Sam427
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
Sam, grade #'s. SAE bolts "american' have hash marks on the socket head end. 3 hash marks is grade 5 and 5 hash marks are grade 8. Most grade 8 bolts are also yellow cadmium colored.
Metric bolts have a number in the end. 5.8 is low grade and 8.8 medium and 10.8 is high grade.
Most of the grade 8 we use are just black oxide. There is a 12.9 grade in metric as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Will In Tx
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McCarthy View Post
I had hopes of taking the gearbox off and seeing if I can get it welded back together perhaps.
Eric,
That is what I would do to make sure you really know what your dealing with.
Hope it works out less $$$$
Will In Tx is offline   Reply With Quote