Picked up a L185

windetch

Equipment
L185
May 3, 2015
NC
So about a month ago I bought my first property with 2.5 mostly clear acres.
Since then I've been kinda tossing around the idea of picking up a compact tractor to play around with. My grandad had a pair of B-series Kubotas that were rather tough little things, so I was leaning in that direction.

Found an L185 on craigslist and went to pick it up yesterday.
Ended up being ~ a 10 hour round trip, but I kinda liked this one.
~750 hours, supposedly one owner (bought it from a rural (non-Kubota) dealer), and overall fairly clean. Likely overpaid a bit, $3200, but /shrug.
Will be used mostly for mowing, though I'm hoping it'll handle an auger.

Paint appears original, has most if not all of it's stickers (pic)... which is helpful, as apparently you're not supposed to kill the engine with the black knob on the dash (decompression?) (pic) as the guy I picked it up from indicated, but to use the lever on the right below the throttle stick (pic).

Ah well.
I've played with small Briggs and Kohler powered garden tractors for a while, but this'll be my first diesel.
Actually a little surprised Kubota doesn't have owners guides on their website, what's the best place to find one?

Will need to find a finish mower to use with it, was originally leaning towards finding a belly mower but the three-point likely makes more sense.
What's the max width finish mower it'll handle, 5' ish?

The only three minor issues I've noticed are
- Front tires are shot. Best source?
- The outer brake pedal return isn't all that great. I unlocked the pedals to play with the independent rear wheel brakes and the outer one stuck down after being pressed. Re-locked the two together and 's fine, brakes are strong.
- The key switch is super stiff. If I grab it with a pair of vice grips (I know, generally not the best idea) it actually turns fine. But just turning it with your fingers its really stiff. Have tried penetrating oil, didn't make much of a diff...
I am, btw, assuming that the tractor is not supposed to turn off when you turn the key off. If it is that's another somewhat minor thing to fix.

Would appreciate any additional input, esp what I need to do to keep the engine healthy.
's running good at the moment, starts right up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Welcome to the site :D sweet looking tractor. I have the grey version. It's a surprisingly strong rugged little tractor. With weight on the front you can handle a 60" finish mower with ease. Or a 4 foot rotary cutter. It will handle a five foot back blade or box blade also. :D

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Nice lookin unit. I like mine, and it handles a 50" tiller with ease. Wish mine had Ag tires, like yours, but beggars can't be choosers, as I got mine off of CL, too, but it was a basket case, when I gots it...:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If the front tires hold air that's all you need. Nice looking machine. Might blow air into the key hole, then squirt some WD-40 into the key hole and turn the key a few times. Should free it up. Probably set out a few too many times and got moisture in the switch.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It is your lucky day!

Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a few PDFs of things that will make your Kubota life better.

I have the owner's manual in PDF (2 sections - for some reason one is the odd pages and the other is the even pages so it make it a bit difficult to read in PDF - but print it out and arrange page numbers and you are good to go)

Search (advanced search button) on here for my user name and posts and you will get a lot of returns on things about L185 since that is what my tractor is also. You will love it. First thing to do is to clean the outside of the radiator and ensure it is cooling well. Search thermo syphon and learn about that also! The key does not turn the tractor off - just be sure you turn if off when you stop your tractor or it can drain your battery. All the key really does is to apply power to the starter switch and the headlights.

IF you use a rotary mower (shredder/brush hog/whatever your area calls them) you will want to invest in the front weights. And stay at 48 inch max or you will have trouble steering.

Last edited:

windetch

Equipment
L185
May 3, 2015
NC
Cheers guys.

What shape suitcase weights best suit this tractor? Looking around they come in various shapes and sizes.

Front tires are actually falling apart

Though they do appear to hold air, 's likely time

And thanks Russel, will send a PM.
Checked your past topics and saw you dealt with putting new headlight bulbs in last year, thanks for updating that topic with pics -- will have to do that shortly.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Manual sent!

The headlights are pretty dim so if you intend to work in the dark you will probably be getting something better.

Also - You can get a roll over cage for a couple hundred bucks from the dealer. They end up at about 7.5 feet tall overall so consider that if you are parking in a garage! If you want more details - get your serial number off the tractor, go to the Kubota.com and look under safety (I think).

If that does not work, let me know and I can figure it out again.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its a nice looking machine.
A little workhorse.
I put 12" trailer tires on my tractor, they work ok.
60" mower on the back of my tractor goes pretty good, front weight was necessary.
3 point hitch is the handiest thing i ever had, wouldnt be without it.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Cheers guys.

What shape suitcase weights best suit this tractor? Looking around they come in various shapes and sizes.

Front tires are actually falling apart

Though they do appear to hold air, 's likely time

And thanks Russel, will send a PM.
Checked your past topics and saw you dealt with putting new headlight bulbs in last year, thanks for updating that topic with pics -- will have to do that shortly.
I think the weights are the standard Kubota 55 lb weight, kinda looks like a teapot, has 1 bolt hole about a half inch in diameter, that a bolt goes through vertically, on the "spout"

I think the front tires are 4.00 X 12's about $125 a pair on fleabay...

windetch

Equipment
L185
May 3, 2015
NC
Stopped by the Kubota dealer over the weekend and picked up a new air, oil, and fuel filter. The filters on the tractor were all Kubota brand, so that's kinda nice.

Got the oil changed, put in 15w-40 Rotella.
The oil that came out was pitch black, but I guess diesels dirty their oils a little more than gas (?). Will likely change it a little early...

Also picked up Shell Rotella Trans/Hydraulic fluid (TSC) for the transmission; there were cheaper alternatives, but I trust Shell a bit more. Won't have to change it out again for a while at any rate.
Was going to ask how much the Kubota stuff was while at the dealer but forgot; Shell specifically says it'll work in Kubotas so I'll roll with it.

Got a pair of Carlisle 3-Rib front tires installed, need to adjust the toe-in a little.
And the key switch is behaving better after soaking in Liquid Wrench. Still a little stiff but nowhere near as bad as it was.

Found my set of 4 35lb Case garden tractor suitcase weights, will need to make an adapter for the front weight bracket (these fit a narrower bar) but it'll give me some weight up front while I look for a few larger weights.

Ran a few passes with my DR Grader this afternoon, 's running good.
Little Kubota pulls it better than my garden tractors (pic)... they do okay, but once the gravel gets loose they lose traction fairly easily. Kubota has no such issues.

Another quick question, there's a few wires over by the fenders. Are those for the optional hazard lights? Or something else?
The blue wire is for the fender light, will have to disassemble, clean, and replace the bulb.

wokndadog

Equipment
Kubota L185, L2500+LB400 loader & X350 chipper, AC 912H, JD 112 RF and X740
May 28, 2015
Central PA
Hi Windetch & Others,

I also picked up a Kubota L185 just over a week ago. It appears we are seeking answers for some the same questions, so I do not mean to hijack your thread, instead just posting here to follow.

It seems these are very well built little tractors, the only issue I have discovered with mine thus far is a brittle connector on the back of the alternator along with some wiring in the harness that needs replaced. Nothing much to get excited about, will either replace the bad wires or order a new harness ($200) if too far shot & replace.

Wishing you the best of luck with yours & looking forward to learning more about these little tractors.

Best Regards To All,
Gary

Last edited: