Homemade box blade

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Started building a box blade to fit my l1501. Needed one that was 54" and didn't like the prices. Started scrounging around and managed to find most of a sheet of 1/4 plate steel that someone was getting rid of. Was able to pick it up for $50. Then it cost a case of beer to get it run through a press break and sheer at the local fab shop.
While at the fab shop, I went digging through there left over rack. Was able to pick up some 1/4" 2x2 square tubing, some 1/4" 3x3 square tubing, 3" angle iron and
2 1/2" angle iron. Picked that stuff up for $30. Ordered a 60" cutting edge and lift arms for a king cutter box blade from broken tractor llc,. And 4 18" rippers from agrisupply. Waiting on the stuff ordered to get here to finish. Here's what's been done so far.

I started out with two pieces that were 2'x2'. Cut them down to 18"x24" and angled it on one end to 16" to be able to get more depth if needed for the rippers.

Then welded the 3"x3" tubing to the top from corner. This is to support the rippers and lifting arms.

I had the fab shop run a 6"x54" piece of the flat stock through the press break to give it a 22 degree angle for smoothing.

Although I should have given him the beer after he was done :rolleyes: he managed to get one side at 22 degrees and the other was more like 16 degrees. So it was a little tricky getting it in right. There's gonna be another piece welded in to bolt the cutting edge to. And then gussets welded in to support the two plates. Lower half of the back wall is gonna be hinged to allow material to flow out the back if I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, looks good. You'll have a custom implement at a very reasonable price. Only thing I'm not sure about is those red containers setting in there where you're cutting, grinding and welding. Be careful.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Cans were put outside before any cutting and welding started :D It's been a snail's paced project. Twenty minutes here, a half hour there. Over the course of a week :rolleyes: can't get two fired up till the parts that were ordered get here :D still gotta figure out something for the hinges and latch also

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I was thinking the same thing about the gas cans.:eek: Keep the pics coming.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the piece made up and installed for the cutting edge. Then bolted up the cutting edge. Managed to get the cutting edge and back edge level. Now onto the back wall of the box. After a trip to town for some more cutting wheels for the grinder.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looks like a fun project, good fab skills. For my own education, what are you welding it with? (mig, tig, stick) And what amps & wire size or rod material?
Thanks.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Nothing worse than building stuff on wooden giddy-ups.
Them horses tend to walk away after a while. I was shifting a tacked-together project when they toppled. I wasnt happy. Next- steel welded giddy-ups.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lil foot, right now I've been using a little harbor freight 110 mig welder. Mentioned to my wife that I wanted to get a welder, and she came home with it for Valentine's Day. I should have specified what I was looking for, but oh well. :rolleyes: there's some spots that are gonna need a lot more heat, so I'm gonna drag it to my dads and use his Lincoln arc welder and go over some spots next weekend. Goals getting it together, then I'll take a day and go back over it and really put the heat to it :D the 110 welder is cranked up to the max, but is still only so so.
Got that back wall on it. Won't get a chance to work on it tomorrow, wife had to work the night shift tonight.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Nice to see it coming together. In a previous life I had a Lincoln SP-100 that was a great tool. Portable and could run it off an inverter in my van.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the supports in for the lift arms today. Just need to swing by the fab shop tomorrow and pick up something 2" wide for the support for the top link and a 2' piece of 2 1/2" angle iron to make the brackets for the rippers. Almost done :D then it's a test fit and priming and panting.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Starting to look like a tractor implement :) couple more days and it should be ready for a test fit on the bota

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
That really awesome Daren!

Thanks for sharing, I need one of those but will have to get a welder, torch and my Sons to fabricate that. Just had a great evening with a machinist that get his red seal in May, and a welder that gets his read seal in May. These are my Oldest Sons and I am proud!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the support made up and installed for the top link. Now to hook it up to the bota and double check clearance for the rippers :D

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Where is that "hats off, lotsa respect" smiley.......

Yes Sir, that is lookin mighty fine!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looking great! The only thing I would suggest is to round off those corners- I bang into mine with some regularity, and if not for round corners, I would have bled out by now.:rolleyes:

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very good set up and build,, I may have missed this but what did you use for the blade edge.... and do you have or will have one on the front and back