L3901 engine ran away today.

myfirstkubota

Equipment
L3901
Feb 15, 2015
harrietta mi
So as my name says this is my first tractor and it seems like I got a lemon. The first thing that happened was with only 6 hours on it the hydraulic oil filter loosened up while I was tilling my garden and sprayed 3 plus gallons of oil all over my garden. Dealer supplied me with a filter and some oil to fix it. No other major issues until today. I had been plowing snow for over an hour when suddenly the engine starts revving up uncontrollably. I tried to turn It off with the key but that didnt work and the throttle was useless. I was frantically trying to figure out how to shut it off. By the time I shut the fuel off it was blowing heavy smoke out the exhaust and sounded like the engine was going to explode. It finally just stopped running. There is a puddle of oil where it is dripping out the exhaust. Is it ruined? it only has 67 hours on it and I feel sick to my stomach about it. Anyone know what would cause this and if it will be covered under warranty? Im not even sure I want it now with the trouble I have had. Thoughts?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
So as my name says this is my first tractor and it seems like I got a lemon. The first thing that happened was with only 6 hours on it the hydraulic oil filter loosened up while I was tilling my garden and sprayed 3 plus gallons of oil all over my garden. Dealer supplied me with a filter and some oil to fix it. No other major issues until today. I had been plowing snow for over an hour when suddenly the engine starts revving up uncontrollably. I tried to turn It off with the key but that didnt work and the throttle was useless. I was frantically trying to figure out how to shut it off. By the time I shut the fuel off it was blowing heavy smoke out the exhaust and sounded like the engine was going to explode. It finally just stopped running. There is a puddle of oil where it is dripping out the exhaust. Is it ruined? it only has 67 hours on it and I feel sick to my stomach about it. Anyone know what would cause this and if it will be covered under warranty? Im not even sure I want it now with the trouble I have had. Thoughts?
Sad to say but yeah.... lemon. Something allowed another fuel source in form of engine or hydraulic oil via a head leak orr?? into the cylinders. This is why normal shut down did nothing. If this ever happens again you have to shut all air intake off. Stuff valve in air intake or a board over air intake etc.

Even by then though high revs will already have caused huge wear. If it is under warranty then let it blow itself up as happened this time so they dont try to fix leak and give you a tractor with overly warn engine.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Welcome to the forum. Man, nobody wants to hear that someones engine ran away. If you machine is that new, must still have some warranty left. I cant speculate as to what caused this,maybe someone will chime in. We all would like to know. I know i do. Good luck.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Myfirstkubota, did your tractor have a "recall" kit installed on it? The reason I ask is that I am not sure what was done on the 3901's, but on mine the fix included insulated breather tubes, oil separator, and breather. I am wondering if something froze up in that region the oil separator might put too much oil back into the engine via the egr system? It is bitterly cold here today and worse up your way. Someone who understands these better might be able to help. Your dealer ought to have contacted you about the "mandatory campaign".

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was just looking up what sheepfarmer was just asking about, It definitely sounds like the issue you are having.
It sounds like the run away was from engine oil being feed to it.
Yes it should be a warranty issue, if you don't get a good answer from your dealer tell them to escalate it to a regional rep.

myfirstkubota

Equipment
L3901
Feb 15, 2015
harrietta mi
Spoke with the dealer this morning and basiclly told him I want my money back. I refuse to put up with this because sooner or later it will be out of warranty and I will be left with a $350 scrap payment. All I can do is see what happens from here but one thing is for sure and that is I will NEVER buy a Kubota again! My first tractor and this is what I get.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
This is where Tier 4 Kubota's will get interesting. The Ford method for active regens injects diesel when the exhaust valves are open. I had one run away and personally (not forum talk) know of 2 others. There were 3 gallons of diesel along with the oil in my crankcase too. Chevy uses a 9th injector directly into the exhaust. I feel your pain but at least you're not stranded in another state. Let us know when you can.

Edit - are you sure that's oil and not diesel dripping out of the exhaust?

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I bought an L35tbl for my local dealer. This was several years ago. At 76 hours, it dropped a valve and damaged the engine. I told Kubota that I was ok with a repair. They insisted upon replacing the entire engine. They sent a complete engine and had the machine back to me quickly. Kubota will do the right thing. They can't guarantee that they won't break, only that they will fix them if they do. Your main concern is having your dealer do the leg work.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
... All I can do is see what happens from here but one thing is for sure and that is I will NEVER buy a Kubota again! My first tractor and this is what I get.
Under your stress can see your reasoning. At same time though FUBAR situations happen be they green or Orange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sewFOATAAis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0eHtXTnDw

some others for the fun of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzf3ItkbOE

my VW golf did it about a month ago:mad:

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I'm so sorry to hear what happened. Your dealer should have been ringing your phone about the breather update as soon as it was released. Kubota knows about this issue and that's why they released a fix for it.

HUGE bummer!

This is an issue across all brands of tractors. The Feds are forcing the engine manufacturers to reduce emissions so far that they're are being forced to re-burn too much in their attempts at emission reduction. It's coming back to haunt them in all sorts of ways and it's not only Kubota.

Kubota will take care of you if you let them. As Wolf mentioned, get the Kubota regional rep involved if the dealer jerks you around. I would suggest part of your Kubota evaluation should include how they handle this situation. It's unfortunate that it happened in the first place, but if they step up and take care of you that should count for something. On the other hand, if they jerk you around then ram it back down their throat.

And, you want a new engine, not it being "repaired" by the dealer.

It's a bummer that your ownership experience has been damaged because it's a nice tractor that you would likely have loved owning for a long time.

Best,

Steve

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I dont think it matters what brand you buy nowadays. They all have their problems. The way i see it is how far the dealer is willing to go for their customers. Thats what counts.a good product doesent mean a thing if a dealer dont give a crap.

This should be a clear cut case for new engine. With updates.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok that's the first time I've ever seen one do that! :eek:

Kubota's are not junk by no means, it just sounds like you got one that was... well just not right!:(

Note everything that happened when it happened, temp, humidity, wind, any weather conditions, when you fueled it last, when you did an oil change last, all factors involved.
I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but you could help Kubota help you and help others avoid a similar fate.
As with all equipment there is always the unknown operational factors that can lead to mishaps such as this, and Kubota doesn't want that, why would they it's bad for brand and business.
If you dealer didn't do a recall before delivering it to you shame on them if your dealer doesn't step up to the plate and make it 100% right then have them escalate it to the regional Rep, that will take care of your tractors issue.

Having them just refund you for the tractor and take it back, is probably not going to happen, as they would rather keep you in a tractor than lose the business.
Let them make it right, and as far as it turning to scrap after its out of warranty, your odds of that are very, very, high that it just won't happen! ;)

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
MFK,
I am only a few miles east of you. Did you get your rig from TC or from Tustin? Just curious. I am sitting on a 3301 I purchased from Tustin and if there is something I need to approach them with I would like to do it now before I have any other issues. Interested in hearing how the dealer helps you out.
Rick

myfirstkubota

Equipment
L3901
Feb 15, 2015
harrietta mi
I bought the machine from Freeman creek in Freesoil. They are coming to get it this morning so we will see how it goes from here. I am going to push real hard for a straight up refund. I have $5000 into it and at this point has not been worth it. At the very least I want a different tractor. Time will tell. I will keep you all informed as to the outcome. Thanks for the input everyone.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'd like to echo NIW about jotting down for Kubota and for us anything you learn about what might have happened inside the engine to cause the runaway. Many of us are apprehensive about regenerations happening normally when it is cold out, and what happens if you get water vapor in the breather system etc. Some of us have the new tier 4 tractors and want to manage them as best we can. I for one would be scared #$%*less if my engine ran away. Thanks so much for your posts.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
myfirstkubota, why not give your dealer a call? It lets him know your tractor is a priority to you, and you can also see where they are with diagnosis.

As you say, "Time will tell", but you can move that time up!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Well, im hoping they come up with someting that is satisfactory to you, not them. Being new-they should step up and solve it quickly.

myfirstkubota

Equipment
L3901
Feb 15, 2015
harrietta mi
So I called the dealer and he said that kubota is going to replace the engine and dpf filter no questions asked. I assume they will do all the required updates as well. Thanks for all the replies and I will let you all know how it goes from here.