snow squeegee for my back blade

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
i found a good use for those truck tire pelts on the roadside.
I made me a snow squeegee for my back blade.
It cleans up the snow without digging up the gravel drive.

Ray

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
i found a good use for those truck tire pelts on the roadside.
I made me a snow squeegee for my back blade.
It cleans up the snow without digging up the gravel drive.

Ray
Awesome idea. Might steel it myself.
What make of blade is yours? Mine looks reallll similar judging by your pics. Bought mine used so I've got no clue. If you know the make, can you please take a few more pics of the mechanism the pin goes thru to hold the blade at an angle or straight (or turn 180 and hold). This will identify for sure if mine is the same brand.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined to help us out with a great idea.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Crap! I wish I would have thought of that. I looked for an old non-steel belted car tire for a while and couldn't find one. I ended up spending way too much time cutting through a steel belted radial tire to get a 5' section of tread to use. It's holding up well and shows little wear after 2 years plowing snow on a gravel 500' driveway.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Guys, ever seen "cow mats"? They sell them at Tractor Supply and similar...they're not too pricy and are nice thick reinforced rubber mats that can be cut into strips and used for similar uses. I have cut mine and use them as pads under my compressor in my garage, any many other uses.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

Paulemar

Equipment
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Billdog,
I tried those mats from TSC, they didn't last a season on the snow plow. I even tripled them up to get more stiffness out of them. They look like they are made from ground up rubber particles. It would have been nice if they worked, but----no go.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Billdog,
I tried those mats from TSC, they didn't last a season on the snow plow. I even tripled them up to get more stiffness out of them. They look like they are made from ground up rubber particles. It would have been nice if they worked, but----no go.
Thanks for posting this- I was getting ready to buy some. Guess I'll start hunting for a tread thrown from some semi- ought to be easy around here, seems like they're everywhere.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Awesome idea. Might steel it myself.
What make of blade is yours? Mine looks reallll similar judging by your pics. Bought mine used so I've got no clue. If you know the make, can you please take a few more pics of the mechanism the pin goes thru to hold the blade at an angle or straight (or turn 180 and hold). This will identify for sure if mine is the same brand.
It is just a Tractor supply special
County line 5'
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg;-rear-blade-5-ft

I saw a post on another forum using a mat but thought it would not hold up.
Do I used a tire instead.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Paulemar, did you use the thin 1/2" ones or the beefy 3/4" ones that I linked to? I have some of the 3/4" ones and they're tough to cut or break so I thought they'd hold up great. The 1/4 and 1/2" ones look more flimsy and I could see them disintegrating quickly.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Kudos: What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I've been buying stall mats from TSC for at least 15 years, to use as stall mats, and the quality and type they have on hand has varied. I once got some really thick ones at an ag show and they held up the best but you need that FEL to shift them around. (Too bad the tractor doesn't fit in box stalls :D)

Paulemar

Equipment
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Paulemar, did you use the thin 1/2" ones or the beefy 3/4" ones that I linked to? I have some of the 3/4" ones and they're tough to cut or break so I thought they'd hold up great. The 1/4 and 1/2" ones look more flimsy and I could see them disintegrating quickly.
Sorry for the delay in answering. I had a small medical issue to deal with.
I used the stuff that you can buy at TSC off of a roll by the foot. The stall mats were my first consideration but they were all of the waffled type texture at my TSC. I wanted solid. Thick used conveyer belts would be perfect, but I have no known source. Belts for farm equipment that I saw weren't suitable as far as I was concerned---too thin.