L3901 cold weather start

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Thought I would share my cool morning start of my L3901DT.

It was about 20°F when I started the tractor today after it being 5°F for the low. Glow plug light didn't stay on for very long, cranked it and it light right up. Did run a little rough at first. It idled up on its own for a little while and was a little louder than normal till it warmed up a little.

It did a lot better than my 1999 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins. The batteries are a little low and I had to jump it to get it to start. It was still about 12°F when I started the truck. It idled up and went in to three cylinder mode. Ran like that for about 15 minutes.

I have been very happy so far with the tractor. It now has a little over 12 hours on it. Been trying not to let it idle to much and keeping the RPMs up.

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
Thought I would share my cool morning start of my L3901DT.

It was about 20°F when I started the tractor today after it being 5°F for the low. Glow plug light didn't stay on for very long, cranked it and it light right up. Did run a little rough at first. It idled up on its own for a little while and was a little louder than normal till it warmed up a little.

It did a lot better than my 1999 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins. The batteries are a little low and I had to jump it to get it to start. It was still about 12°F when I started the truck. It idled up and went in to three cylinder mode. Ran like that for about 15 minutes.

I have been very happy so far with the tractor. It now has a little over 12 hours on it. Been trying not to let it idle to much and keeping the RPMs up.
I have the 3301 with 40 hours on it and it starts quite easy in the cold as well. I started it this morning (under a tarp right now as I am having to revamp a door on the garage to accept the ROP) and it was 0 degrees. I let it warm up for about 10 minutes. I keep my RPMS up as well. What are you using as a basic warm up rpm? I can not find any recommendation from Kubata. I might have missed it in the manual but I can't find it. I keep it above 1800 most of the time just to be safe until I find a good answer. Have fun on the new machine.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Res,
I have a new L3301 also and just out of curiosity, even though not using it, the past few days I have started it up just to see if it would. Temps have been as low as -13 and it has started up every time. It cranks noticeably slower but fires right up after about 10 seconds on the glow plugs.

Like you, since I can't find a definitive answer, I let it turn about 1800 rpm while warming up. It has taken between 10 and 15 minutes to get the temp gauge to start rising each time. My tractor is kept in an unheated pole barn where my thermometer always agrees with what the weatherman says the outdoor temp is.

Has your tractor gone through a DPF regeneration in this cold? I'm curious if they are able to produce enough heat to complete the regen process when it is so cold.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
When I started mine, it idled up on its own (I don't remember the RPMs) and I let it go on its own till it idled back down and I started to use it. Don't remember how long it took, I was putting the ROPS back up and putting the bolts in. I wonder if the L3301 engine will idle up on its own?

I have yet to have a regen happen with my L3901, it has 13.X hours on it.

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
It will start and idle just fine in very cold. I do not believe my tractor has ever gone through regen. One thing I want to discuss with my dealer is that every time I start, about 30 seconds after start up it smokes for about 15 seconds and then never smokes again. I have never observed any of the regen lights flashing as the manual says it should. I should start it and let it sit at straight idle and see if it revs itself up. To my knowledge which is quite limited, the 3301 and the 3309 should act the same. My manual is for a L3309 and the L3301 so the owner's manual applies to both. I leave mine in auto regen and never turn it off. The manual states in auto that if the light starts to blink for regen, keep operating like normal. When the RPM light blinks, up the rpms until the light goes out and operate as normal and regen will happen as we work. I have never noticed any of my lights lighting up but it might be we are getting little build up do to increased RPMS. I am learning as well and certainly open to input!!:D

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
I had a L3800hst.
Last winter was brutal here. Down to -20F sometimes.
The tractor always started, idled at 1300 rpm, half of WOT, and for 20 minutes or so. Also picked up rear blade and fel to get hydro pump going and warm up its fluid.
I have a OEM block heater on the 4060, and will turn it on 2-3 hours before starting. With block heater the glow plugs symbol does not come on and it starts easily. Idle it at 1,300 rpm and for same 20 minutes in cold weather.
I realize this is a Tier 4 engine and idling will increase Regen frequency, but don't see it as a big negative, that is how this engine is designed to work. I would rather have a properly warmed up tractor, and cab....
Always operate with auto-regen button on, and when the PM symbol hits 100%,
The rpm symbol will indicate if more rpm's are needed. Regen on this tractor takes less than 20 minutes and just keep on working the tractor. When Regen is completed the PM symbol goes back to zero.
Have fun with that new tractor &&& I am hoping for more snow!

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
Cal270,
I am just north of you a bit and I have no problem remembering last year!!!:eek: It was like winters of old when I was a kid!!!:D No tractor that year and after fighting all of that with a walk behind snowblower, I decided to take the plunge and get a tractor. I like my unit. I did tell my wife after the first time using it that I thought it was to small. LOL I was politely informed to deal with it!! It sure is fun to handle snow right now compared to last year. Just have a lot to learn so I take good care of it. Thanks for your input

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I've 'tested' our Kubotas and proven they'll crank at zero degrees Farenheit. That said, it bothers me to subject our iron to conditions that can be avoided.

We keep everthing with a battery plugged into a trickle maintainer year round. If it's parked for the day, it gets plugged in.

Heating the engine starts at 40-F. At that temp the machine gets at least two hours of block heating before cranking.

We've found lower radiator hose heaters the best for our application.

If needed early the next morning, it gets left plugged in all night or set on a timer.

I realize this process is overly cautious; I just like taking care of the little guys. And not so little.

And having proven they can start without assistance I'm comforted knowing they're fully available in emergency (ice storm trees down power out) if required. Truthfully, the last time had to cold-crank without grid power the barncats and I used a genset to heat one up before cranking.

One perspective. Others invited.

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
Has your tractor gone through a DPF regeneration in this cold? I'm curious if they are able to produce enough heat to complete the regen process when it is so cold.
As an update to your question, my tractor went through regen for the first time. We got a dusting of snow and since that was the first snow in about 2 weeks, I just HAD to plow it. Outside temp was about 10 degrees. Might have been a bit lower. It started fine, I let it warm for about 20 minutes. I plowed for a bit over 45 minutes when my regen light popped on and there was a definite change in engine pitch. I was running at 2200 rpm and no rpm change took place. I increased it to 2500 even though the rpm light was not blinking. I finished plowing and did not notice any loss of power. It took a bit over 15 minutes and the light popped off, the engine pitch went back to normal, and it was all over!!:D My tractor had 41.9 hours when the regen started. So it appears it can regen at least into the low double digits in temp.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Res,

Thank you for the update. This is very reassuring because the naysayers were starting to make me worry. I realize the most vocal haters probably have zero experience with these new tractors so it is great to read the experience directly from somebody who has one.;) Thanks again.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Fro, res, thanks from me too, I have started to feel like I adopted something like a pit bull puppy that everyone is sure it is going to turn out bad before it even grows up. There is much to like about these new engines separate from the dpf. Hopefully any bugs that show up will be minor fixes. The mandatory campaign on mine had nothing directly to do with the dpf that I could see and was dealt with promptly by my dealer.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The haters don't hate it for working/not working. Being a hater of the DPF regen cycle myself (for a lot of reasons) doesn't mean I hate the tractor or would never purchase one. It is what it is, and unless there is a radical change at the EPA, we are stuck with these types of units for a long time.

DPF regen is a waste of fuel for negligible benefit to the exhaust. I would rather have had them use DEF liquid catalyst systems which let you run the unit like normal and you just have to keep fluid in it, like any other fluid (fuel, oil, water, hyd fluid, etc.)

So, it's not like it's a world ending 'I'm never buying another new tractor' thing, it's a PITA to have to watch over warning lights and worry about RPM's and extra heat coming from the exhaust system. That's the target of the 'hate' not the units themselves, so enjoy your tractor, but let folks vent about the increasing intrusion of the Federal and State governments into your farm life. If that makes us haters, then I guess we're haters.

By the way, my D-17 probably cranks out more carbon than 10 of my L3200's and my conscience is clear on using it to do work. Lighting a fire in a fire pit puts out more carbon than both my tractors combined do in a month yet you don't see the Feds forbidding campfires at all campgrounds do you? It's not about emissions, it's about control. Rural America is the last vestige of freedom from government and they are making their way into that. When you understand that, then you might understand us haters.

By the way, the State of California now requires all agricultural vehicles to be registered like cars. They don't even send you license plates for your money now, you have to paint or stick the license on the side and a sticker like boats have. Just another money scam in the excuse of watching those evil tractor pollution devices!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks Shaun, I think that is a very helpful and balanced summary of the issues, it is a complex situation. I hope the manufacturers of the various tractors and other engines do a better job of solving the problems in the future.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
The haters don't hate it for working/not working. Being a hater of the DPF regen cycle myself (for a lot of reasons) doesn't mean I hate the tractor or would never purchase one. It is what it is, and unless there is a radical change at the EPA, we are stuck with these types of units for a long time.

DPF regen is a waste of fuel for negligible benefit to the exhaust. I would rather have had them use DEF liquid catalyst systems which let you run the unit like normal and you just have to keep fluid in it, like any other fluid (fuel, oil, water, hyd fluid, etc.)

So, it's not like it's a world ending 'I'm never buying another new tractor' thing, it's a PITA to have to watch over warning lights and worry about RPM's and extra heat coming from the exhaust system. That's the target of the 'hate' not the units themselves, so enjoy your tractor, but let folks vent about the increasing intrusion of the Federal and State governments into your farm life. If that makes us haters, then I guess we're haters.

By the way, my D-17 probably cranks out more carbon than 10 of my L3200's and my conscience is clear on using it to do work. Lighting a fire in a fire pit puts out more carbon than both my tractors combined do in a month yet you don't see the Feds forbidding campfires at all campgrounds do you? It's not about emissions, it's about control. Rural America is the last vestige of freedom from government and they are making their way into that. When you understand that, then you might understand us haters.

By the way, the State of California now requires all agricultural vehicles to be registered like cars. They don't even send you license plates for your money now, you have to paint or stick the license on the side and a sticker like boats have. Just another money scam in the excuse of watching those evil tractor pollution devices!

ShaunRh for president, I'm with you brother,.......... Just buried my only son in the name of freedom for this country, our way of life and to watch govt. trample it for no justifiable cause just brings more tears nuf said...

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
What? How can they regulate something on private property? Do you need the tags to use roads between fields?

Duarte's still there?

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Re:cold weather starts

I am also like Stubbyie,, I know my Bota will start way down in temp without issue... -BUT-
I also believe that the worst thing we do to our "Chore Tractors" is fire them up use them hard then put them away wet :p

This is my process.. Seems to work rather well for the cold weather..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__UFau0yKyU&list=UUFsyslm41jb3ZPFa-2gdfdw

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: cold weather starts

I am also like Stubbyie,, I know my Bota will start way down in temp without issue... -BUT-
I also believe that the worst thing we do to our "Chore Tractors" is fire them up use them hard then put them away, is the worst thing we do to them..

This is my process.. Seems to work rather well for the cold weather..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__UFau0yKyU&list=UUFsyslm41jb3ZPFa-2gdfdw

That is simply perfect !!! Great low budget heating,and the light is a simple answer to prove that it is on!:) I was worried about the amp draw, but I am sure that is not a problem.

Nicely created!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Res,

My 3560 was able to complete its second regen today at about 10 F. Required a higher rpm to get the symbol to stop blinking, about 2400, than when the air temp was warmer this fall. Seemed like it took a little longer about 15 min.

I think it would be nicer from a user point of view if one could initiate regen any time convenient after 90% or so. Mine has a tendency to reach 100% about when I want to put it away. The tech from my dealer told me just to wait until the next time I wanted to use it. However, the coming week is forecast to be even colder here so I didn't want to run into problems if it hit 100% just as I started it up. But finding something for it to do or just waiting for it to finish regen is a PITA if you are tired cold and hungry. Does anyone have any idea how long you can run your tractor in the different regen stages, eg light on but no beeping, beeping and light?