BX25 Bogging down and occasionally dies [video included]

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
So here is a long winded reply. I'm hoping some of you find this useful as I have tried to document this as best as possible.

This morning I went to the tractor dealer and they suggested that I may have some algae in there so I bought some algaecide for it.

Here is what I did:

1. Removed filter and took video's of the flow. I realized later on this was reduced flow on both the filter and the fuel line. Videos included.
Fuel filter video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNptbGsLn_Y&list=UUoQ2FLqUlZIzDrFTyw4FYmw&index=5
Fuel line video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYzXcU_KTM&list=UUoQ2FLqUlZIzDrFTyw4FYmw

2. Next I drained the gas tank from the bottom as well as started to siphon from the top.

3. I drained all the fuel into a clean white bucket to observe for any debris. There was nothing in all 5 gallons. Totally clean. If there was any algae, I did not see it. Nothing brown. No sludge. Nothing.

Nothing came out of the fuel filter other than fuel.

After a few minutes the fuel settled and I could see the bottom of the bucket and it was clear.

4. At this point I did what I think solved the problem (at least temporarily) for me. I took an air compressor nozzle while there was still some fuel dribbling out and put 30psi into the fuel line. I heard the air moving into the tank and then I witnessed the fuel coming out much much faster out of the fuel line.

Here is a video of what I believe is a correctly flowing fuel line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGz5yZgnGCg&list=UUoQ2FLqUlZIzDrFTyw4FYmw

5. The tank was empty from both the bottom and the top with only a bit of standing fuel left. Here is a cell phone pic of the inside of the tank.

6. Then I attempted to clean the inside with a wet-dry vac. I duct taped a tube onto the end and attempted to suction. I did this for about 1-2 minutes and I had no luck. At least not that I know of. Not sure this was worth it.

7. Then I taped a clean towel to the tube and attempted to "wipe" anything clean from inside the tank. I did not have any debris at all.

8. At this point I dd not feel like pulling the tank. I smelled of diesel and I needed some time on the machine. I temporarily put the filter back in place as I did not see it was clogged. I refilled the tank with the same fuel I took out. I just strained it with a clean cloth when I refilled.

9. Just for giggles I put on a new fuel filter even though the old one did not seem clogged. It flowed MUCH better so here is a video of the fresh fuel filter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-BolOa_CQ&list=UUoQ2FLqUlZIzDrFTyw4FYmw

10. Reassembled, the tractor acts totally different now. I guess this was slowly getting clogged over time. I don't remember the last time the machine moved this fast.

While what I did today was not a "fix" per se, I learned quite a bit about what a good filter was supposed to flow like, what an unclogged fuel line should flow like.

Next time if this happens I know a quick fix should be just a hit with an air compressor.

As far as a real "fix" for the future. I believe the answer is similar to what I had read on another forum. There really should be some sort of access panel to the fuel tank. I may cut a hole in the top (under the chair) and create some sort of panel. From what I've read on another forum, someone sealed it with some sort of galvanized sheetmetal + silicone.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Happy to hear your machine is working better BUT you took an awful chance using a shop vac to remove the fuel. Fuel combined with sparks from the vacs amateur could explode. Fuel when warm is pretty flammable. You are a lucky man. Don't push fate.

I've been on these forums a long time and I've never heard of anyone who has successfully cut a hole in a plastic tank, plugged it and had it last.

The tank is not the issue. I'd look at your fuel source and how you store your fuel.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Happy to hear your machine is working better BUT you took an awful chance using a shop vac to remove the fuel. Fuel combined with sparks from the vacs amateur could explode. Fuel when warm is pretty flammable. You are a lucky man. Don't push fate.

I've been on these forums a long time and I've never heard of anyone who has successfully cut a hole in a plastic tank, plugged it and had it last.

The tank is not the issue. I'd look at your fuel source and how you store your fuel.
Thanks. Yes I didn't see your post until after I had come in for the day.
Makes sense.

As far as fuel storage: I drive a diesel car and keep a fuel can in the car for the tractor. I fill up at the same gas stations I fill the car up from. I use the tractor quite a bit so fuel doesn't sit for more than 2 weeks at a time before it is used.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Regarding use of a shop-vac to remove diesel fuel and / or debris from the fuel tank, I think you used up one of your nine lives. Be cautious.

When I have absolutely had to remove any kind of flammable liquid from a vessel I have occasionally and with great care used an aspiriating-type air blow-gun hooked to air compressor.

The small-diameter plastic pick-up tube extending from below the blow gun outlet tube can be manuvered and 'fished' to reach into small areas. I use highly-flexible fuel-line hose in a diameter to fit onto the [typically] hose barb built into the blow gun tube.

Stick the outlet end of the blow gun into a hose or pipe and pack it off with rags (keeps diesel out of your face while handling gun and suction hose) and let the end of the larger drain hose stick down into a bucket through a hole cut in the lid and itself lightly packed off with rags to catch the mist. Having a willing helper that doesn't mind being misted with diesel will be helpful.

Outside on a windy misty / foggy day is best and watch where the diesel mist is going to land downwind. It's going to be terribly sloppy but it's slightly safer than using a shop-vac and easier than dismantling a tractor.

CAUTION: this method under rare circumstances can produce static spark especially on dry days. I still consider this better than using a shop-vac that is continuously electrified and running.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If I had this issue I'd split the fuel line into 2 fuel filters and recombine back into the intake. This would give you parallel flow and double the volume available. You could switch to a far larger filter as well with a remote filter setup. These are common in marine applications.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My post a year ago was optimistic. I am not so today. After last stoppage at 16 hours on new filters I will bite the bullet this winter and remover that fuel sensor. If rusty, then will figure on no replacement, but a covering for the hole. Am also thinking about replacing the front filter with the old fuel pump that still runs apparently OK. I keep thinking "I shudda stayed with blue".

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I like the idea of putting a fuel shutoff in-line before the fuel filter (or moving the fuel filter to the frame as shown earlier).

Can someone tell me what size fuel line is used (i.e. 5/16" or 3/8", or 10mm ID, etc.), so I can look around on the web for a nice in-line shutoff valve. I assume I will need a shutoff with barbed hose connections on each end to splice into the line between tank and filter.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
My post a year ago was optimistic. I am not so today. After last stoppage at 16 hours on new filters I will bite the bullet this winter and remover that fuel sensor. If rusty, then will figure on no replacement, but a covering for the hole. Am also thinking about replacing the front filter with the old fuel pump that still runs apparently OK. I keep thinking "I shudda stayed with blue".
I suspect the fuel line is coming apart internally. There is probably some rubber peeling off inside the line and restricting the flow. When you blew the air through the hose you either blew out the offending piece of rubber or moved it enough to get good flow for a while. As the hose was not changed and is still deteriorating, the problem was never fixed, just postponed.
I would replace all the rubber lines (and filters) at this time.