Land Pride PTO Shaft - How to grease

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
I have a LP RCR1860 rotary cutter to go with my L3200 and just realized in doing the 50 hour initial maintenance on the tractor I should have been greasing the cutter much more frequently...duh.

In any event I started lubing the grease fittings I saw as described in the manual which is frankly pretty lacking and had several questions.

1. How do you remove the plastic shrouds on each end to get to some fittings?
  2. There is a plastic nub on each end that looks like a grease fitting but without the metal grease fitting, if that makes sense. Do I grease that?
  3. How do you remove the sleeves so you can grease the shaft as they tell you to do.

The manual is pretty poor on maintenance instructions. It seems like there should be some easy tricks to get this properly lubed especially since it needs to be done so frequently.

I'd appreciate any help.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
There are three small indentations on my pto shaft that you push in all at once and the two plastic pieces then twist apart.

The plastic grease fittings are for greasing so that the drive shaft can spin while the plastic safety covers remain stationary with the help of the chain.

When putting your PTO shaft back together, remember to keep them in phase or else you'll likely get some vibration.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
How do you remove the plastic shrouds on each end to get to some fittings?

There is usually a brand name on the PTO shaft and cover. Finding that can help find more detailed information on them.
The plastic shield usually attaches to bearings (plastic) and require the pushing of a clip or the turning of a plastic screw that has an eccentric head so it aligns with a hole.

This link will get you started on you tube videos of what to do (there are a bunch of links to other videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBoINyG7USU

There is a plastic nub on each end that looks like a grease fitting but without the metal grease fitting, if that makes sense. Do I grease that?

Yes these grease the bearings between the shield and the attachment to the PTO shaft.

How do you remove the sleeves so you can grease the shaft as they tell you to do.

You actually disconnect the shield at the end and then pull one half of the PTO shaft out of the shield so you don't have to disconnect both ends of the shield. You can take the whole shield off but there is no need to disconnect both ends of the shield. It is better to get the half that fits inside the other half and grease the shaft outer surface and then put it back together.

Hope that helps.

pyates

Equipment
l3200
May 24, 2012
DeBerry Tx
Atlanta Panther,
I have exactly the same questions about my Land Pride that you do. Greasing it has got to be easier than the way i have been doing it.
If the comments you receive help and you figure it out, please let me know how you did it.
Thanks

Pine Tree Grower

Equipment
L3200HST
Jun 25, 2018
Soperton
I have exactly the same rig. I unchained the plastic ends of the shaft and rotated the plastic covering at each end of the shaft to find the grease hole, then shined a flashlight down it until I found a zerk. Since it was dirty, I shot some carb cleaner down that opening using the red-straw that comes with the spray can.

Then I extended the grease tube from my grease gun down to the zerk and gave it 6 pumps, per page 27 of the 2/3/17-printed manual that I downloaded online (a 2013 manual came with my rig, which I purchased new in 2013). We're supposed to grease these fittings every 8 hours (page 27), and also -- every 20 hours -- "Clean and coat inner tube of driveline with a light film of grease and then reassemble." (Page 27).

BTW, I like watching the "Tractor Mike" videos on Youtube -- shows little tricks for these things.