Looking For QA Boom Pole for L3800 FEL ??

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
OK fellas, I purchased my L3800 w/FEL to help with building our retirement homestead; 54 acres of vacant, hilly farmland here in Central NY. It consists of about 30 acres of woodlot and the rest is overgrown meadows and pasture. Seven acres is currently leased to the neighboring farm.

Thinking about a Boom Pole to replace the quick attach bucket. This would be used for raising the 24' 6x6 poles for my pole barn, so I would need a lift height of at least 16' (need to grab beyond the 12' halfway length plus the 4' depth of the holes). I reckon that the 24' 6x6s are gonna weigh in at 220 lbs +-.

Did a search and all I come up with are 3 point boom poles and Skid Steer boom poles. Does anyone make one for the FEL on a Compact Tractor?? O r maybe there is reason they don't??

Thanks!!

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
OK fellas, I purchased my L3800 w/FEL to help with building our retirement homestead; 54 acres of vacant, hilly farmland here in Central NY. It consists of about 30 acres of woodlot and the rest is overgrown meadows and pasture. Seven acres is currently leased to the neighboring farm.

Thinking about a Boom Pole to replace the quick attach bucket. This would be used for raising the 24' 6x6 poles for my pole barn, so I would need a lift height of at least 16' (need to grab beyond the 12' halfway length plus the 4' depth of the holes). I reckon that the 24' 6x6s are gonna weigh in at 220 lbs +-.

Did a search and all I come up with are 3 point boom poles and Skid Steer boom poles. Does anyone make one for the FEL on a Compact Tractor?? O r maybe there is reason they don't??

Thanks!!
I think I have a method that might work for you. Two years ago I needed to set a 30'n660 pound utility pole near my barn for 3 phase power. The pole needed to be 6' below ground. First you need to lift the top side of the pole and let it down on something (hillside, tree limb........) on something 6-8 feet high. Drive back to the bottom and drive forward on the pole until the cutting edge is about one foot past the part of the pole that will be under ground. Roll the bucket in the dump direction until the cutting edge and the top of the bucket are parallel with the pole. Lower it until it sits on top of the pole at the top and cutting edge. Now get a chain and chain tensioner and wrap it around the pole and bring it up against the cutting edge. Bring it up and around the back of the bucket and wrap it around the pole.
Before tightening the chain tensioner take two 6x6 cut offs and place one above and below the cross brace to protect the hydraulic line going across, from the chain. Now tighten the chain to the point where it and the cutting edge dig into the pole a small amount. This is needed to ensure the pole does not shift position against the bucket. Now slowly lift it and roll the bucket back just enough to clear clear the ground. Have someone there to spot for you to make sure nothing interferes. Move the pole over the hole and lift and roll the bucket till the pole is vertical over the hole. Now lower the pole until seated. Use the tractor and bucket to adjust the pole as close to perpendicular as possible and back fill.
Just make sure to work slowly and carefully especially on uneven terrain. We want you around to tell us how the project went. If you can find a spot as close to where you need to place each pole to minumize the distance you need to drive to set each pole. Good luck on your new place.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A boom pole for a Skid steer is what you would want, that is if you have a SSQA type quick attach on your loader, if you have the type that only uses Kubota equipment your out of luck on that side of things.

Next trying to deal with a pole of that size with a tractor of your size is not advisable a boom pole puts the lift way to far out front and will give you Zero stability a for going to end up on your nose and a pole shoved some place wouldn't want it.

Strapping the pole to your loader bucket moves the weight back to the tractor making it safer to deal with, still not Ideal.

There is one piece of equipment that is ideal to do these kinds of jobs and that's a crane or boom truck! Look in your area for someone with a boom truck to come set your poles, I wouldn't think they would charge you more than what a good boom would cost you anyway! ;)

How are you planning on setting the Trusses? That can not be done with a boom pole off your loader! :confused:

And if you do decide to go the boom pole method, hang 1500 to 2000 lbs off the three point to hopefully keep the back end on the ground.

Last edited:

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Within reason, booms are great. We made I've that went on our fork set. That way, you use the strength of the forks. 20' long 4x4x.125 steel box tube. Used the crap out of it building a house and garage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
A boom pole for a Skid steer is what you would want, that is if you have a SSQA type quick attach on your loader, if you have the type that only uses Kubota equipment your out of luck on that side of things.

Next trying to deal with a pole of that size with a tractor of your size is not advisable a boom pole puts the lift way to far out front and will give you Zero stability a for going to end up on your nose and a pole shoved some place wouldn't want it.

Strapping the pole to your loader bucket moves the weight back to the tractor making it safer to deal with, still not Ideal.

There is one piece of equipment that is ideal to do these kinds of jobs and that's a crane or boom truck! Look in your area for someone with a boom truck to come set your poles, I wouldn't think they would charge you more than what a good boom would cost you anyway! ;)

How are you planning on setting the Trusses? That can not be done with a boom pole off your loader! :confused:

And if you do decide to go the boom pole method, hang 1500 to 2000 lbs off the three point to hopefully keep the back end on the ground.
The L3800 will have the BH77 backhoe and loaded R4 tires . . . that's gotta be at least 1500 lbs in the back . . This is why I asked here . . . safety is priority!! Hiring a boom truck may be the best answer.

It's a raised center Amish style barn . . . I will be building the trusses on the deck of the loft. They will be 14', (12' span) 3/12 or 4/12 pitch.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well heck you have a BH, I would set the poles with the BH then, super stable with the outriggers set and a lot more power and maneuverability than the loader! ;)

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
I think I have a method that might work for you. Two years ago I needed to set a 30'n660 pound utility pole near my barn for 3 phase power. The pole needed to be 6' below ground. First you need to lift the top side of the pole and let it down on something (hillside, tree limb........) on something 6-8 feet high. Drive back to the bottom and drive forward on the pole until the cutting edge is about one foot past the part of the pole that will be under ground. Roll the bucket in the dump direction until the cutting edge and the top of the bucket are parallel with the pole. Lower it until it sits on top of the pole at the top and cutting edge. Now get a chain and chain tensioner and wrap it around the pole and bring it up against the cutting edge. Bring it up and around the back of the bucket and wrap it around the pole.
Before tightening the chain tensioner take two 6x6 cut offs and place one above and below the cross brace to protect the hydraulic line going across, from the chain. Now tighten the chain to the point where it and the cutting edge dig into the pole a small amount. This is needed to ensure the pole does not shift position against the bucket. Now slowly lift it and roll the bucket back just enough to clear clear the ground. Have someone there to spot for you to make sure nothing interferes. Move the pole over the hole and lift and roll the bucket till the pole is vertical over the hole. Now lower the pole until seated. Use the tractor and bucket to adjust the pole as close to perpendicular as possible and back fill.
Just make sure to work slowly and carefully especially on uneven terrain. We want you around to tell us how the project went. If you can find a spot as close to where you need to place each pole to minumize the distance you need to drive to set each pole. Good luck on your new place.
You think like I do zoomy!! What size tractor did you do this with??

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
You think like I do zoomy!! What size tractor did you do this with??
I have a L5740. It was plenty stable setting the utility pole. We have to try to utilize our equipment to full capability. Makes life easier.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
We used my dad's Kubota L48 and a set of forks with a boom that attaches to the forks to lift all sorts of stuff including the post and beam bents while building my parent's house in VT. Of course you need to worry about getting too much weight too far out....but if the weight is low, those boom assemblys work great. We have the forklift boom set up with a 10,000lb winch and remote control so its like a true crane, with ability to do fine adjustments. Works mint.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I had a boom for a bucket on a tractor of 28 HP. It lifted 500 pounds easily way out there. This sketch shows how it is a "T"shaped thing with top of Tee in the bucket. Chains go from the boom to top corners of bucket. Add a clip angle under it at the bucket edge to keep it from lifting in case you set it down, etc. I used 3 x 3 inch tubing about 10 feet long.

You may want rear weights to counter the bucket load.

Attachments

Oldtrucks

Apr 14, 2016
Emmett, idaho
Curious what you ended up doing? I'm about to start construction on a stick frame shop with 16' walls and prefab trusses. A Skid Steer Truss Boom looks like it could come in quite handy during construction. Not for any heavy lifting, but sure be nice for setting trusses and moving small loads of plywood and roofing material to the roof.