Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Me too... I switched from WD 40 to a PTFE lubricant water displacement spray.:D

Post Carbon

Equipment
B7800
Sep 18, 2015
Canada
Just wanted to post a hearty thank you in this very old thread, to Butch, because without his very specific instruction on reseating the detent, I would have gone screaming to the lake. The trick with the #2 pencil is great, and all the advice. My A valve was completely corroded and fused, but with all the advice here, I managed to get everything loose. Actually took both sides apart and cleaned everything. Also really appreciate the very clear diagram of where to drill weep-holes; have done that. When I took my bolts loose originally, water came out OF THE BOLT HOLES. So you can imagine how bad it was inside. Thanks again Butch, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

PCP

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Just wanted to post a hearty thank you in this very old thread, to Butch,... Thanks again Butch, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

PCP
Thanks for brining this thread to our attention. Have now included it in the menu of found in the "Ulitmate READ ME"

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dittos to what Paul said...

In my aviation career, I got to talk with loads of mechanics who were fixing my planes. No one carried WD-40 but instead, carried LPS or another brand of light lube. The FAA came down on a few mechanics for using WD as a lube when it actually has nearly zero lube in it, except for some wax.

Its a great water displacement formula and it offers limited anti-corrosion properties. Its a wonderful solvent. It even makes auto plastic look pretty good between washes. Some even say its good on elbow and knee joints for arthritis!

But, its not a lubricant.

For the record: I love WD and have several gallons of it. Call me silly but I love the smell!!!

Reactions: 1 user

bclippinger

Equipment
L3410 tractor
Apr 21, 2013
Baltimore, ohio
Ok my bucket won't curl back so I took it apart as mentioned. The detention regen was bad so I purchased a rebuild kit. Put it together but not sure how the large ball bearing stays in the end of the shaft. Doesn't seem to be anything to hold it in place

Thanks
Brian

grimah1w

Equipment
B2710
May 14, 2011
woodlawn, tn
Re: Preventative maintenance tips

Did the rebuild kit on my Husco, been fine for about a year now, took a peak yesterday and corrosions has started, emptied the cups and hit it with PB blaster...think I better drill the weep holes!!!
Belated thanks to Butch!!!

Hanksvwmech

Equipment
L185DT, BX23S, Woods Finish mower, 2006, 2023 Suzuki KingQuads, motorcycles.
Jun 24, 2019
Ashland, Oregon USA
Ways to protect or control. The bike shop gives me inner tubes out of the garbage. I cut them up for loops to hold bundles together. Vise grips handles together, etc. Protecting valves/sleeves? How about a CV axle boot as a replacement for that desintagrating tractor shift boot. Protecting wires/hose thru frame holes/etc. Stainless steel wire weave off a old fkex sink hose. Cutoff wheel the ends. Toss the hose. Slip the wires thru, Tape the frayed stainless ends. Shaffing problems are over.It will last forever!

tnichols

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-D
May 7, 2020
Poulsbo, WA, USA
Thanks all for the tips! I had a stuck float detent on my new (old) B7100HST / 1630FEL. Similar setup as described, but different in that the ball bearings sit on spring inside a bolt from each side of the casing. It was fairly easy to clean up and get working. Maybe it's a newer model control valve? The tractor and FEL are 1991 model.

Anyway, it's working great now!