L185F headlight bulb

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well, I am somewhat embarrassed to have to ask this:

How the heck do you replace the headlight bulb on this tractor?

The bulb looks like it has to go into the socket from the front (lens side).

I removed the complete light assembly from the tractor, figured out how to get the 4 clip springs to release the chrome ring off and thought the lens would just come off. No luck there. It does not want to rotate and did not separate from the reflector.

There are 4 slots that look like you pry the lens (has a metal frame around the lens) from the reflector but again no luck. I was prying about as hard as I felt prudent on a glass lens.

Is there some magic incantation that must be said to separate these or am I going about it completely wrong?

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
The bulb in my L1501dt comes out from the rear, you just turn the bulb holder backwards and the socket with the bulb pulls out.

in my bota both my bulb sockets have been burn from the time and the heat of the bulbs (check to see if yours is the same that's why the socket has stack in the headlight).
So a ask for kubota bulb socket and they say 30€ each, and i have change it with the same sockets from japan cars rear stop lights sockets-they are the same with only 5€.

look that picture and you will understand.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you for the help.

Mine do not look the same as that. I can't take a picture right now since my tractor is not near.

The bulb has a wide flange on it that has the twist lock slots in in. This flange is where the glass and metal join so that makes me think it has to go through the front.

I'll take a couple of pictures this week end, if I can't figure it out.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Your on course with what I had to do with my L175. Getting the glass to separate from the metal reflector housing was tedious to say the least but just keep at it. Maybe use a razor blade to slip under it if the lip doesn't prevent access.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I should mention too, just be careful with a razor blade. I have cut myself trying to use a lot of force on a razor. Now I find it easier on tough jobs to clamp a razor blade in some vice grips. Better control and safer without getting cut.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok figured this one out!

The glass lens is all that needs to come off. Mine was stuck to the reflector by the gasket and it took some prying to get it separated. Following is how it worked:
Take the light off the tractor (3 nuts with washers, disconnect wires)

Take the chrome ring off the light. There are 4 clips that are seen from the back. Push down on the side and the end of the clip comes out from under the chrome ring.

Separate the glass from the body. There is one tab on the glass that fits into the reflector body. Pry the glass there. Use a razor blade to cut around the glass to clear out dust and junk.

Push on the back of the connector to release the spring tension on the bulb holder. Rotate the bulb to unlock

Install the new bulb. The three slots align in only one place so make sure all three align. Push from the back, turn bulb to lock in place.

Reverse the remaining steps (put glass on, put chrome ring on, put 4 clips on, install back into tractor and connect leads.)

IMG_0469[1].jpg

IMG_0472[1].jpg [/ATTACH]