B7100, B219 Loader Control Valve Issue

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I am having an issue with the B219 Loader Control Valve - detent not holding. With all the snow we have had it has become a major pain - not having the float position.

Has anyone had this issue, where the handle will not stay in the float position? It almost seems like it only happens and does not hold when the temp is below freezing.

I guess I'm just assuming that the valve has hydraulic oil running through the entire valve. Is it possible that there is some moisture trapped in the valve and the detent ball is getting frozen in place. Above freezing I have never had an issue with it. It was working fine last week but the temps were around 45 deg F.

Is there some way to pull the detent ball and spring out without a complete tear down of the control valve?

Any suggestions??? Thanks, Dan

Photo is not my rig, but an identical setup. Hoping the owner of this photo does not mind my borrowing the pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Have the same loader, and had the same problem. The detent mechanism can be disassembled without getting into the hydraulics. Yours is probably rusty like mine was, & my neighbors was the same. (different Kubota tractor, loader, & valve, but similar layout) On the front of the valve, (opposite the levers) there are a pair of caps that cover ends of the spools- the longer one houses the detent parts. The end of the spool has a cross hole which contains a spring & 2 steel balls. The inside of the cap has a ridge & a groove- in normal FEL operation, the spring loaded balls stop against the ridge, and when pushed forward to the float position, they compress into the hole in the spool, then pop out in the groove, locking it in the float position. Mine had rusted to the point where the spring & balls no longer existed. Inside the cap was pretty bad also. Dealer (and Cessna) both told me parts are no longer available. I just cleaned it up, re-assembled it minus the bad parts, & if I need float, I hold it in manually. My neighbor could still get parts for his, so we replaced the parts in his, now it works great. It was a major PITA to hold the balls & spring in place while screwing on the cap, but it can be done. I suppose one of these days I'll make replacement parts for mine, but for now it's just not a high priority for me. If you take it apart, be prepared to have the balls & spring (or whats left of them) go flying, & be prepared to have fun putting it back together. Another neighbor has a Yanmar with the same setup, and we were able to disassemble his, clean the rust, grease it up & re-assemble it, & now works great. Just depends on how bad yours is.
First pic shows the Cessna valve with the two caps highlighted.
2nd pic is the exploded view of my neighbor's valve, (similar) so you get an idea of the ball detent mechanism. Keep us posted….

Attachments

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Have the same loader, and had the same problem. The detent mechanism can be disassembled without getting into the hydraulics.
Thank you for the excellent and very detailed post. It is a big help.

The manual suggestion is what I have had to do (until my hand is needed elsewhere at the same time) :D and by the sounds of the repair, will continue that way, til things warm up and dry out this spring. Don't need to be pulling tiny springs and balls in 5 degree F weather today.

At least I now know what needs to be done. THANK YOU !!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
No problem, maybe you will help me with something else one day.:)

nav0239

Equipment
B6000, B219 loader, 619B backhoe
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
Any source for the detent spring/ball replacement?

I have a similar problem and the ball/spring turned into brown mud. The rust balls has a dia of ~3.8mm. Nowhere to see the spring.

Assuming nowhere to get the replacement, I bought some 4mm stainless balls and planning to drill the hole to suit if needed. I wonder if someone knows how much compression force the detent spring has roughly, like 1lb? 8 oz?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Another thing i would add, something to help keep water off the controls. Will help somewhat.

Last place of work, star operator plows snow with wheels a foot in the air, cranked to one side. Aparrently using float is the wrong way. Least i didnt grind the cutting edge off in one winter.