L225 fuses on dash - where to find them?

SCVandy

Equipment
L225
Dec 31, 2013
Waverly, NY
Hi - first off, thanks for the help with my wiring meltdown and helping me find where the mystery wire went. I'm a history teacher by trade, so novice is actually a compliment to me when it comes to tractor repair.

I have everything rewired now but my headlights don't work. The grey fuse box on the dash has three flat metal wire things that are 10 A and 5A fuses. The two 5Amp wires are broken. If I cross the poles my lights work, so I obviously need to replace the two 5 amp links. I've looked at tractor supply stores and auto stores with no luck.

Where do you find those flat 5 amp fuses? Can I just buy the 5 amp fuse wire off ebay and make my own connections?
Thanks!
Susan

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Hi - first off, thanks for the help with my wiring meltdown and helping me find where the mystery wire went. I'm a history teacher by trade, so novice is actually a compliment to me when it comes to tractor repair.

I have everything rewired now but my headlights don't work. The grey fuse box on the dash has three flat metal wire things that are 10 A and 5A fuses. The two 5Amp wires are broken. If I cross the poles my lights work, so I obviously need to replace the two 5 amp links. I've looked at tractor supply stores and auto stores with no luck.

Where do you find those flat 5 amp fuses? Can I just buy the 5 amp fuse wire off ebay and make my own connections?
Thanks!
Susan

Post a pic or a link to the ebay item you found so we can see it.

SCVandy

Equipment
L225
Dec 31, 2013
Waverly, NY
This is what I've found on ebay. I haven't been able to find a single picture of the actual fuse online. I'll take one of my tractor and post it. I guess I could wrap this in place of the broken ones.

Attachments

SCVandy

Equipment
L225
Dec 31, 2013
Waverly, NY
I wondered about that too. Given the apparent rarity of these crazy fuses, this is probably the way to go. Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you sure they are not just regular fuses with the glass tube broken away?

I have a L185 and have not looked at the fuses lately but could almost swear they are the older style (1960 - 1980) fuses (glass tube with the flat metal that is wide at the ends and thinner at the middle). Sounds like what you are saying without the glass...

hope this helps and I am not too far off base but I have never seen a fuse without some insulator around it.

SCVandy

Equipment
L225
Dec 31, 2013
Waverly, NY
I ended up buying some foreign car fuses and taking the metal off and screwing them in place. It worked fine. I think taking the wire from a glass fuse would work too, but the 5 amp glass fuses have tiny wires, so these worked better. My tractor is all re-wired from the melt down and everything works. Good thing, because I had about 18" of snow to plow today!
Thanks

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
You've got me completely bewildered. You really need to post a photo of what you're dealing with. I'm with Russell on this and also because I have a L235 that you're looking at broken, as in glass tube that the small flat wire is encapsulated in. A very older auto style standard fuse that I believe is still easy to find.

Ron

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
You've got me completely bewildered. You really need to post a photo of what you're dealing with. I'm with Russell on this and also because I have a L235 that you're looking at broken, as in glass tube that the small flat wire is encapsulated in. A very older auto style standard fuse that I believe is still easy to find.

Ron

It's not nice to be bewildered.

Wire is cut, wrapped post to post, secured.

Not a fuse encapsulated in glass.

Last edited:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

WELL....I would of never guessed and can say that is something that, in my sixty six years, have never come across. See......never too old to learn something.

Ron