Tire chains. Type and source?

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
We are getting snow on top of the ice we got yesterday. I can't do anything to clear the snow because or drive is all downhill. My kubota has R4 bar treads and I need chains. I had chains for my old green and yellow 2wd tractor but they always ended up between the treads on the Ag tires and never helped much.
I want plenty of bite. This is the worst driveway and road conditions I've seen in the 20 years I've lived out here. Looking for suggestions. Buy redi made or buy bulk chain and fab?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With Industrial (R4) tires you can get away with using ladder chains (normal truck chains).
I would get cleated chains to use on Ice. Check your clearance on the inside and top of tires to the fender, if it's too close your going to have to get wheel spaces if you cant move your tires out to make room.
There are 100's of different places to get chains, Look for a local supplier and save on high shipping costs.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Clearance for chain is no problem. You know its bad when the dog doesn't even cross the drive. Even one of the barn cats looked like a pig on ice going across it. I wouldn't dare go out there without cleats on my boots.
We had 5" of snow a week ago and we drove on it and some of it melted then we had freezing rain etc. there is 1" of polished ice like glass on part of the drive.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have the same kind of situation going on here.
It was raining and sleeting when the temp dropped to the negatives, then some snow and warm and than cold again, Heck I could have a bob sled team practice on my drive way. It's not bad to get up it in the truck in 4 wheel drive, or the tractor with front studded tires. You could do this if your tires were foam filled, Killer traction!

Studs 4.jpg

Studs 5.jpg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
hey wolf,
where you get those? They look like Tapcons! Aluminum concrete screws......
if they are - you be a genius !!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DING, DING, DING, we have a semi winner! 85Hokie

Yes you are right they are Tapcon's, but they are not aluminum, they are hardened steel, very tough!

There are companies out there selling the same sort of thing for almost 10 times as much! I went the cheap route.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
DING, DING, DING, we have a semi winner! 85Hokie

Yes you are right they are Tapcon's, but they are not aluminum, they are hardened steel, very tough!

There are companies out there selling the same sort of thing for almost 10 times as much! I went the cheap route.

shortest ones i have used are about 1.25..........

http://www.lowes.com/pd_74126-2191-...pcons&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=tapcons&facetInfo=

did you do anything special INSIDE the tire? and or did you drill a pilot hole? or just nut them in the rubber?:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The real key to doing studs like these is to have your tires foam filled, then the screws screw right in and bite really well, I don't think that it's possible to pull them out of the tire!;) And yes they are 5/16" x 1 1/4" long screws. I thought I might have to go up to the 3/8" size heads to get enough traction out of them, but the 5/16 heads work great.

If you have air filled tires I wouldn't recommend doing this, as... well... you will have flat tires :eek:... HAHAHA :D
There are several companies out there that sell screw in studs that do work with air tires, just be prepared as they are not cheap to buy and because they are shorter they can pull out a lot easier than factory studs.
If you have a deep enough tread you could go with shorter screws, but I have not found any short ones that are hardened.
They do sell studded industrial tires from the factory, but they are expensive and I hear they don't last long.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wolfman,

Sounds like a plan, my old 53 Ford Jubilee had chains on year round, never liked crossing the asphalt ! Hell, if I thought we'd get some of that white stuff down here in VA, I would put chains on the BX - you are right - that old beet juice would come out of them thar tires! Aint seen that stuff (more than 1") in a while! I even have a nice 1/2" steel plate that locks on my Piranha tooth bar to scrape the white stuff, if,when it ever comes!!! Wolfman, you have a good Xmas!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
85Hokie,

I could box up some snow and send it to you, so you have something to play in, I'll make it a really big box, Express of course!
We don't have a lot this year (only about 6" right now), but I'll be happy to share it.
You have an excellent Christmas too!

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Sure would like to know what kind of foam and where to get it. I'm having a tough time trying to steer with the snowblower on the front

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Motorcycle guys have been putting screws in their tires like that for 40 years at least. Originally just sheet metal screws that weren't long enough to go all the way through. But, as guys are, various ways were developed to keep the screws in better. One was to take a bald tire, cut the sidewall off, and to length, and lay it inside the tire, then use screws long enough to reach half way through the "liner". Use good old duct tape along the sides of the inserted tire/liner to smooth out the roughest parts, and put a tube in it.

I know they make boots for the inside of larger tires, maybe one could find something like that. Be a lot less work than cutting up an old tire. That's easier said than done, BELIEVE ME!!!!

You don't need foam, you just need an old idea brought back to light! :D

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Did some searching around the internet. What we called "boots" 40 years ago are called reliners. There are also many places offering tire studs specifically for tires, as opposed to the old hardware screw. They are a bit more pricey, but would no doubt stay in the tire better.

Undoubtedly the reliners would be stiffer than a standard tire, but nothing compared to foam filled, which is effectively a hard, rigid, tire. Might as well have steel wheels as foam filled. That said, there is some new high tech foam that mimics a pneumatic tire, but bring a really fat wallet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I love my foam filled tires, I know what they say about it being rough and ridged, I don't have that feeling with mine, maybe it how heavy the tractor is that makes the difference, or maybe I got soft type foam?
If you have standard Ag tread tires they sell screw in studs that work with those tires without any alterations.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yes I do have Ag's. Wow the screw in studs are expensive...I'm going out today to see if I can get some 1" long tapcon's a little cheaper. Thanks for the help.

I love my foam filled tires, I know what they say about it being rough and ridged, I don't have that feeling with mine, maybe it how heavy the tractor is that makes the difference, or maybe I got soft type foam?
If you have standard Ag tread tires they sell screw in studs that work with those tires without any alterations.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The shortest Tapcons made are 1 1/4".
I haven't been able to find any other source of regular shorter hardened screws.

Next best bet is go online to EBay and search for Kold Kutter wheel studs, they come many different sizes.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks Wolfman, I'll give them a try. When I measure the thread debth it's an inch. Do you think I should go a full inch or 3/4"?