Splitting a B2150 to RR 2 stage clutch

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Since it looks like it's all but certain I'll be replacing the clutch in my B2150, and I've never "split a tractor" before, I'm wondering what the best approach is. Looks like my B7100 wouldn't be too bad, but the B2150 is a comparatively large compact and my impression is that this is likely one of those things where there are some tricks I would be far better off knowing than not before starting.

It seems removing the loader is a given.

To begin with, it looks like the best place to separate the loader frame is at the bottom of the front tie bracket, leaving the majority of the frame connected to the rear half. , though it also occurred to me that the loader might be useful to support the rear half when disconnected.

Then separate the remaining hydraulic "bridges", remove a collection of links, springs, panels, wires, etc as necessary, as well as the front drive.

Finally "split" the tractor by removing a dozen or so bolts at the bell housing while supporting both sides of the joint.

So here is the first experience question that comes to my mind (assuming I'm not off base already). Is it generally better to move the front forward, or the rear back? Seems the front is more physically manageable, but then you've got to deal with front axle instability at the pivot. So maybe make the front fixed side (blocked and stabilized) and roll the back away? I figure which ever end moves, I'll support with my gantry A-frame while moving. Other suggestions?

The service manual indicates what seems quite a complex "table" and alignment/setting jigs for setting up the dual clutch assembly on the bench. Anyone know anything about this? Anyone have dimensions, or maybe alternatives? The pictures in my service manual are so poor, I don't see how I could possibly make up the jigs to provide the reference points for the settings indicated.

Finally, assuming I get that far, getting those big heavy sections lined back up going together seems like it's going to be a real bear. Is it as bad as it seems, or does it generally just slide together on alignment pins or the like?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I split my Ford 1210 twice. That doesn't make me an expert by any means, but here are a couple of tips. Sounds like you already have covered a lot.

I removed most of everything I could including the fuel tank.

The front part was supported by a stout comealong from overhead, and the rear was rolled back away from it. Your idea of blocking the front axle to keep it from pivoting is good. Mine was a little "floppy" with only the single overhead point of support. If I recall correctly, the front was a bit nose-heavy and I had to remove the small suitcase weights to make sure it didn't want to flip over forward.

The rear portion has some vacant tapped holes in the trans casting. I made up a couple steel props that acted like stands that worked like the legs on a wheelbarrow. These were bolted on before splitting the tractor and were long enough so they just kissed the concrete floor. The Ford was small enough for me to wheel the rear part back away from the stationary front part. Looking back it might have been useful to support the back part with something like a transmission jack on wheels.

Alignment was similar to working on a car clutch and wasn't too bad. Take your time and make sure things are adequately supported and you'll be OK. Don't forget the camera and you'll be able to help the next guy a lot more than I hellped you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Splitting a tractor is easy, just start pulling all the parts that attach the front and back.
I personally would pull the loader as I do believe your model has a sub frame that really going to get in the way.
I can split my L3450 in about 4 hours and back together in another 4.
I blocked the front axle with wood shims to keep it from swinging side to side. I bolted the drawbar to the wood deck I was working on, you will probably have to just block up the transmission to hold it in place.
Roll the front end away from the back end leaving the back tires blocked front and rear to keep it from shifting around on you.