26 HP B7100, mad idea maybe, i think it will be something special......

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Well guys, summers over again and the nights are getting darker way to early for my likeing now, so then, its mad machine time again;););):cool:
Or should that be " lets totally wreck a good machine time" :eek:

This is a bit of a follow-on really to a previous project that i just never progressed very far with to be honest.
I have a nice little V1100 engine good looking for a good donor tractor to go into, i dont have any what i would call spare tractors lying around , so i'm going to attempt a retro fit into my B7100D, mad, maybe but i allway like to be at the cutting edge or should that be the edge full stop:D:D

Anway, its going to be out with the D850 and in with the V1100, not sure if its going to as straight forward a project as some previous ones.
I do have one big advantage with this swap over, the v1100 is also one of the 70mm series engines so maybe a tad longer etc, a lot of the block details are the same etc along with the oil filter location injector pump etc etc, so in a way thats half the battle won.
its all the parts that interconnect that will need looking into at greater depth, such as drive shaft and flywheel etc.

As they say over here, " its a tough job but someone has to do it";)

pic of a similar unit attached.

i'll keep you all upto speed with progress, good or bad.

rob

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Why 26 horse power in such a small tractor? I can't see it pulling, pushing or lifting like a 26hp tractor because the gear ratios won't be the same.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This sounds great to me!:D
I too was thinking about doing the same thing to mine...more HP = more fun!:cool:
I will be watching your work very closely.;)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
And going from 16 HP to 26, I'm betting on more broken parts too. The first time it hooks up and the (somewhat) improvable object meets the (relatively) unstoppable force (of 26 HP and the torque that goes along with it), I expect things are going to get expensive right away.

Kubota seems to obviously build in a nice safety margin, if they didn't they wouldn't have the reputation they do. But I'm betting 26 HP uses all that up and then some. Add in the fact that all these 7100s are old, and most already well fatigued from use, and I'm not holding high hopes for this particular recipe.

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
dont get me wrong guys, this is meant to be one off experiment , or mad project as i'm allways looking for soemthing to do in the darker eves.

I was going to fit it to my 850 powered 7100 but after having had a good old rummage through the spare parts dept in my garage, i have a fair bit of kit i can use in conjunction with an old 7100d i have without an engine etc.

Dont get me wrong , i'm no automotive expert but being a bit of a bike performance fanatic i fully appreciate all about power to weight ratios , the effect of torque on transissions propshafts etc.
i race and maintain my own high performance 1997 ducati corse race bike, where the vast magority of parts are titanium, magnesium, carbon fibre bodywork and fuel tank, and aircraft ally.

I have no plans to run a V1100 engine through a b7100 clutch let alone the drive shafts etc.
The 26hp is max figure and is not PTO output, a more relistic HP at the flywheel is 22hp to be honest but torque will be more noticible than a 850 0r 950 power plant.

As i have a spare B7100 rolling chassis i will be useing the rear end inc rear axle of the b7100 and parts from the gearbox inc casing but fitting a different drive input shaft and larger drive couplings on the gearbox from a B1750 which is a more suitable shaft to take the extra, also using a b2150 clutch ,flywheel and drive propshaft.
cooling from a b2150 radiator .
other mods to configure into the mix aswell.
I have done a fair bit of groundwork and crossrefing to see what bits are most likely to be compatible.
after my calculations you may be surprised to find that it may all go together quite well, only the lenght will be the main difference, and the wheel base will be longer as the longer engine will put the front axle further out , so longer drive shaft and bigger uj's will be fitted .

This is not susposed to be serious working machine but i really wanted to see how it all works out, so you will all just have to do as i do most of the time and " Just go with the flow " ;):D

Over here in the UK we have Tv program called " scrap heap challange " a totallymad but brilliant program, its allways giving me these ideas, so here goes again.
rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
BadDog, fully with you on the safety margins etc, i am fully anticipated something going bang or just flying off.
I didnt have a load of surplus bits here i probably wouldnt really start a project like it
My B7100 is running like a dream and has been since i changed over the motor and sorted out a few areas, i think i would be totally mad to start messing about with it now just for an experiments sake.:eek:
Luckily i have now decided to use parts instead of a decent running machine.

i fitted a D850 a year ago to my 7100 as i gauged it to be the best compromise for my applications, a bit more power than stock 750 unit but not excessive as a direct replacement to my original layout 7100.
The biggest from my research is a 950 , but there can be cooling issues when running a 950 in a 6100 or 7100, a lot of guys have no issues but some do.
Not sure why, my B8200 uses a D950 unit and the rad and hose etc are the same as my old B7100 items, but there is more air flow space around the engine in a B8200 whereas its pretty cramped in the 7100 .

there is another option , kubota also make a DH850-B variant of the normal 850 power plant which has a better hp output than a D950, but i suspect cooling will be a problem in a 6100/7100 configuration.

thanks for the reply anyway.

rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Exactly Big K....someone else with my line of thinking;);):D

rob

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Over here in the UK we have Tv program called " scrap heap challange " a totallymad but brilliant program, its allways giving me these ideas, so here goes again.
rob
Used to love that program until they pulled it off the local BBC channel.:mad:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on it. Not doing it to a good running tractor (that you need and use) along with having all the extra parts (particularly the 2150 stuff rated for about that) would also eliminate most of my concern. At that point, if you have the time and energy (I wish I did), more power to you and I look forward to following along.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like a cool plan to me. I have my doubt that it will ever hook up so it will never be able to apply the power to the ground. Now a pto driven implement may be a different story. Might need to be carefull with anything driven by the pto. Any way you go I don't think you will ever stall the engine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've got a D950 that's rated at 21.5 HP in my B7100, and I haven't broken anything...;)
YET.:eek:

It takes a bit of work to stall that out... I think the only time I can stall it is at an idle working it. :rolleyes:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Sounds like a fun project. Challenges like this, trying to figure out how ##rig something to make it work, are right up my alley. Keep us posted with some good pictures and have fun.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
YUP Horse power is just a question of money,,lol,,, go for it big guy and pictures lot of em

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
well i have made a start, small, but its a starting point nevertheless.
spent a while trying bits and seeing what will fit to other parts, so far the engine crankshaft and clutch assembly and flywheel all workout out nicely ( thats one big issue overcome :eek:).
Drive shaft from gearbox fits into crankshaft a perfect fit, clutch fits spot on to shaft splines also:).

bellhousing backplate is not far off a spot on fit, just need to drill two differing holes as they are a fraction out, otherwise good to go.

the drive shaft coupling on the gearbox - drive shaft is not such a good fit, infact , its not even close, probably have to source one from a 1750 or b20 as they are probably closer to the size i need. i did suspect that this would be a problematic piece to overcome.

thats about it so far, i'll stick some pics up of things as they progess further.

rob