R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal?

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Called my dealer today and asked for a quote to order R1 tires and wheels, with rear tires filled for my tractor.

I have 50hr on my tractor and the R4's look barely used, been on grass and dirt mostly and pavement once.

Dealer called back and quoted me the following....

$500 and my R4 tires/wheels
$1,460 to buy the R1 tires/wheels out right

Does this sound like a fair deal?

I think I may be better buying them out right and then selling my R4's but I don't know. At least if I did, I'd have them both on hand to try and make SURE I kept the ones I wanted to live with from now on.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Hmm, so the Wholegoods Price List shows

R1 F $262ea R $435ea = Total $1,394
R4 F $251ea R $773ea = Total $2,048

chip812

Equipment
L35
Jul 9, 2013
Alabama
Does that Wholegoods Price include the wheels?
Why you want to switch tire types? (just curious - don't have an opinion one way or the other)...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally would keep both sets if you can afford it.
Run the new R1's and see if they are going to suit your needs.
Then sell the tires and rims outright.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Called my dealer today and asked for a quote to order R1 tires and wheels, with rear tires filled for my tractor.

I have 50hr on my tractor and the R4's look barely used, been on grass and dirt mostly and pavement once.

Dealer called back and quoted me the following....

$500 and my R4 tires/wheels
$1,460 to buy the R1 tires/wheels out right

Does this sound like a fair deal?

I think I may be better buying them out right and then selling my R4's but I don't know. At least if I did, I'd have them both on hand to try and make SURE I kept the ones I wanted to live with from now on.

I think both deals sound fair, assuming they include all 4: fronts and rears.
Personally, I'd swap 'em.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I personally would keep both sets if you can afford it.
Run the new R1's and see if they are going to suit your needs.
Then sell the tires and rims outright.
I'm leaning that way. Worst thing I'd want to do is trade the dealer and then want the R4's back. I don't think that will happen though. I've got real drainage issues on my land and after a good hard rain, you can't go anywhere for 2-3 days without tearing the place up and making a mess. (I will be cutting lots of ditches).

I just wonder how slow the R4's would be to sell and what I could get out of them.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm leaning that way. Worst thing I'd want to do is trade the dealer and then want the R4's back. I don't think that will happen though. I've got real drainage issues on my land and after a good hard rain, you can't go anywhere for 2-3 days without tearing the place up and making a mess. (I will be cutting lots of ditches).

I just wonder how slow the R4's would be to sell and what I could get out of them.

If you were close and they fit my 2150, you could sell them tonight. As to how much, as little as possible, I'm cheap. ;)

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Well I think I am going to trade with the dealer on Saturday.

What's the widest the R1 rears can be set out? I don't have my manual with me here at home.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Pulled the R4's off today and loaded them in the truck. I took a bunch of pics, cause I know my tractor ain't gonna look nearly as good with the R1's, but how it looks don't matter much when I'm stuck I guess :p

Sure looks funny sitting on jackstands

I measured with the R4's and 3" wheel spacers and got the following:

Inside of tires 36"
Center of tread 51"
Edge of tread 64"
Sidewall to sidewall 67"

Looked in my manual at the shop and see that with the R1's, widest I can set them stock is 50.8" center of tread. So with the 3" wheel spacers they should be right at 57". But I think the R1's are 11" wide, right? So that should put them about 68" sidewall to sidewall, so right at the same as with the R4's. I was hoping to get a little more wider stance with them matched up to the 3" wheel spacers.

I'll post some pics when I get them on.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
One of the upsides to r1 are chains go on easy and you can adjust the wheels out. I like my r1s. My friend with r4s likes likes my wheels better too.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
At about 150 hours I'm very dissatisfied with R4s. My dealer also quoted me $1462 for R1s mounted and filled, but did not want to take the R4s in trade. I see plenty of R4 sets on Ebay - I get the feeling a lot of folks are getting rid of them. I never see R1 sets with wheels there. I get torn about spending the $$, then being stuck with the R4s. It is a lot of cash, especially when we don't get too much rain here in Eastern Washington. I'm finding the R4s don't "dig" like R1s used to, even on dry ground. Boo.
I'd say go for the trade in. You are not likely to sell the R4s. Changing wheels for a particular job is a PITA. Storing them takes up space. And they rot after a while.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Haha, looks like it, don't it. :D

Got the R1's today. I could tell when I pulled out from the dealer with them in the bed of my truck that they are WAY lighter than the R4's. I'd guess a several hundred pounds lighter by the way my truck rode.

Anyway, got them mounted up with the 3" wheel spacers still on. They set out wide - or just look really wide because they aren't as wide as the R4's were. They are about 4" wider from the edges of the tread than the R4's, but mostly because the R4 tread rolls off a couple inches before the sidewall.

I didn't think I'd like the way it looks, but I DO. I took some pics before I took it in the woods and got it all muddy. I drove it around my yard to see if it'd do any damage and it didn't leave any that I seen. It seems pretty planted on the slopes even without the extra weight the R4's have over them. I'll see how it does a while and may think about wheel weights, I think it could use a couple more hundred pound on the ground.

I noticed right away that it rides a lot smoother. And....it chugs through places in 2wd (without Diff Lock) that I had to put the R4's in 4wd to get through. LOTs more traction. When I noticed this, I headed straight for the hill that I got stuck on with the R4's last week. I had the BH and FEL on just like that day and the ground conditions were pretty much the same as that day. Only exception was the hill wasn't covered in "woods covering" but now was just slick where the R4's polished the ground spinning like crazy that day. I tried in 2wd first and it got about 1/3 the way up, Diff Lock took me about 15' further then it started to spin. I put it in 4wd and it pulled right up the hill, did spin a few times, but never lost forward momentum.

After that I stopped to BH a near by field and I noticed that it turns tight to double back and BH the next strip a lot easier than the R4's too.

When the BH'ing was done I headed on back to work on a clogged stream that's been diverting TONS of water down my trail road. It stays muddy down there and the more I worked the tractor the worse it got, but it never showed signs of even thinking about getting stuck. It pulled thorugh this slop with no problems, over and over. The R4's could have NEVER even thought about working in this slop with any real control of where you were going - IF they wouldn't have just got stuck. You can see where the bottom of the tractor was planing the top of the mud off. And those R1's just kept right on working.

I am 1000% SOLD on R1's over R4's. It was an expensive lesson to learn, $600 option to get the R4's in the first place, then $500 more to trade them, but a lesson that won't be repeated for sure.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hate you had to pay to learn that lesson but it looks like a real tractor now instead of a overgrown lawn mower. Nothing like getting to play in the mud without the need for a tow.

I may be wrong but it looks like your rear wheels can be spaced out another step wider if you need it.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Not as bad as I do!! That money could have paid for the TnT and Prince SV valve I've got coming, or nearly the Woods Box Blade that should be here next week :(

I had the dealer set the rears out all the way when they switched them.