B6200D Backhoe Subframe

iain7391

Equipment
B6200D Tractor, KM190 Back Hoe, S1000 Rotovator, Oxdale PTO-400 Log Splitter
Hi all, I have just bought a KM190 Backhoe to fit onto my B6200D. I haven't actually collected the digger yet as I'm working overseas but I need to find a sub frame from somewhere. I have searched all over the UK for a dealer who might be able to supply one but have had no success. If I can't find a real sub frame I could make something up from the drawings in the KM190 manual. My other thought was to mount it onto the 3 point linkage via a custom built frame. My only concern is that the link arms might not be up to the task of picking up the weight of the digger and I don't want to stress the frame or any components on the tractor. Could anyone advise what the best course of action I should take is or where I might source "older" parts. incidentally if anyone is in the know, the official part number for the sub frame is 71-20-305.

Thanks for now

Iain

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
They didn't make subframes for a tractor that old back then. Subframes are newer technology about maybe 10 years old or so.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
You want to avoid a 3 point hook up if possible. You are correct, it puts to much strain on the tractor. The part # you reference 71-20-305, is that the correct subframe for mounting the KM190 to the B6200? If it is you could have a welding shop just fab one up from the drawings. Most older tractors used a ladder type subframe. My B7100 the subframe connects at 2 points to the tractor. Once just below the rear axle and then it traves forward to just below the loader uprights and bolts to the cross member. The ladder subframe was the standard (at least with the Woods backhoes) back in the late 70's and the 80's. A ladder style subframe stays with the backhoe when removed from the tractor.
This subframe is almost the same as what is on my tractor.

Attachments

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
They didn't make subframes for a tractor that old back then. Subframes are newer technology about maybe 10 years old or so.
You can't just keep making this stuff up Eric.

My subframe and mounting arrangement is very similar to the pic that Kubotasam posted. My backhoe came with part of the subframe for an unknown tractor. I got the Woods/Kubota install manual for my model tractor and backhoe and then built the subframe and tractor side bracket to look like the pictures. Works great.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I didn't really consider those to be subframes since they came off with the backhoe attatchment. I supposed its all in how you look at things.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi and welcome ot OTT, you are sure to find all the help and info you may require here:cool:

You will find it very difficult to find the correct subframe for your 190 backhoe to be honest as with most kubota backhoes made for the smaller machines the subframes tend to get sold on with the backhoe itself.
Making a subframe is not difficult but you do need to make sure its upto the job and will fit your specific machine, also you'll neeed to take into ground clearance and any specific fitment issues on your 6200 chassis such as brake/clutch pedal pivot shaft (which gets in the way)also access to hydraulic drain points etc.
I am current fabricating a specific subframe to allow fitment of my lewis 200 backhoe on my B8200.
I am using a lewis parts diagram and comparing the subframe from a kubota BF300 loader subframe setup , that way i'll get a good strong and secure assembly.
As with all these type of fitment, strong a subframe is crucial and its needs to be a full length unit, ideally fixed to the rear axle casing lower mounting points also attached to the front chassis / engine mounts, with centre fixing to the drive shaft tunnel. this mehod enures you have dont over stress the tractor chassis and possibly break the tractor chassis.
You need to keep the weight of the backhoe low down and close to the rear end as possible .
if you need any pics drop me a line, if i get timei'll post some pics later.

good luck
rob

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
just been thinking, is this a KM190 or a KMS190 .
just looking for my manuals, both of these may be a little bit big for your 6200, i know the kms190 is a b8200 fitment and is hefty lump comprared to other similar sized backoes.
just a thought
rob

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT, Iain!
I agree with Rob- either build a subframe, or have one built for you. If you would come across a subframe for sale, it will likely be very expensive- why not build one that can surpass the strength of the original, have no stress damage to it, and probably spend less money?
Hopefully the backhoe that you have already purchased isn't too big for your tractor. Good catch there, Rob.

iain7391

Equipment
Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses so far:

@ kubotasam- yes the part number I quoted is taken directly from the KM190 owners manual and is a Kubota designed sub frame for the KM190 to the B6200D.

@ Rob- I suspected that obtaining an original mounting might be a bit of a challenge for just the reasons you mentioned, who would hold onto a sub frame if they were selling the digger or tractor! I can confirm that the digger is a KM190 and not the KMS190. Having managed to get a KM190 manual it definitely says that it is designed to be used on the B6200D. As one would expect as it provides the information and details for mounting it to a B6200 and other models of the time. Having said that when I look at the pictures it does seem to be a bit of a lump!

@ hodge - I think I will end up having a custom made frame built, fortunately I have a steel fabricator around the corner from me who should be able to knock one up for me which will be sturdy enough for the job!

Interestingly enough I contacted Kubota UK on Friday and the lad got back to me and said that the KM190, although marked as a Kubota, would have been made by McConnell, who are famous for making power arms, hedge flails and other 3 point linkage ground care equipment. I have contacted McConnell this morning to see if they can assist me in anyway. If I get any news I will keep you all informed!

Cheers lads!

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Do you have pictures of the attachment brackets that stay on the tractor? One of the most important things to consider is to be sure the load on the tractor is distributed as evenly ans possible. Try and stay as close to factory on the mounting position and bolt holes as you can.

iain7391

Equipment
Hi all,

Well I am back from working overseas and went to collect the digger yesterday. After some hassle trying to get it off my trailer (the guy I bought it from loaded it flat on the trailer bed) I managed to hook it up to the 3 point linkage via a frame the farmer had been using for a larger machine. No surprise then that the b6200 hasn't got the cajones to lift the assembly! I managed to drag it round the back of the garden leaving a lovely gouge through the grass which my missus is less than impresses with! After an oil change this morning I reversed up to the digger and hooked everything up and had her running, quite an impressive machine although I am now reading through the manual and working out how best to build the sub-frame as this is a must. As it stands the digger will be staying in it's current location for some time until I can have a frame made. Sadly my welding skills are pretty poor so it looks like a metal fabricator will be getting the job! thanks for all the advice so far. If anyone knows where I could get a frame that would be great, otherwise watch this space for an update!

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Nice to hear you are making progress with it, these small backhoes maybe small by name, but they are most certainly not lightweight items:eek:, as i have found from expereince, they are not easy to move around when not fitted to a tractor properly, been there and paid the price on our driveway:eek:.
I have only just finished fabricating a new 2 -peice subframe for my b8200 and lewis 200 backhoe, and, its been a bit more of a challange than i had first thought.
I had to make up the tractor subframe as a multi-section item just to make it a tad easier to fit to and remove to be honest, the backhoe section is a one piece section.
It took a while to get it all sized and sections fabricated etc but got there in the end.
Used 12mm "L "section for the main parts with 12mm - 20mm flat for other parts, also used m12-16 bolts and extra web sections for strenght on stressed sections.
A word of advise to you, as easy as it may sound to just throw togheter a subframe, its not quite that straight forward and there are a lot of factors to consider as to how its gong to fit, onto what, and in one piece or as several sections.
anyway, good luck with it and keep us upto spec with your progress.
I am in the process of uploading pics of my project frame , maybe of help to you.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Just started a new thread on the subframe theme, added more details and pics (not brilliant though ;)) specific to my project but i suspect will apply to most people doing silmilar projects etc.

rob