L285 Problem with hydraulic lift

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
I recently traded for an old L285. After replacing the radiator and the steering box it is now running nicely. However when I attempted to operate the hydraulic lift I had problems. When I raised the lever to lift the hitch arms at first they didn't move. Then they did come all the way up jerking a little. When I pushed the lever down nothing happened. Since there was no weight on them I stood on them, pulled etc to no avail. I disconnected the link and shaft that I suppose provides position feedback. Moving it didn't help. Next I screwed the knob under the seat in a ways. (Don't yet know the purpose of that. - Operators manual is ordered.) At a certain point the lift arms dropped without any weight on them. Now, what I call the feedback shaft will not turn easily. Didn't use force. The lever that raises the arms is down and it will not come up when I pull on it. Does anyone have an idea of the best place to start troubleshooting this?

Thank you,
Jack

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The knob under the seat is to control the drop rate of the 3pt lift arms. When it's closed it will lock the arms so they won't drop at all.

Have you checked the fluid level in the transmission?
Is the fluid clean or does it look milky?
You could have a stopped up filter or suction screen.

You saying the arms being jerky sounds like a plugged up screen or filter.

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
I looked a the fluid level through the filler hole. It appears to be approximately 3" below that. I did not measure. Don't know where to check it. The oil looks good, kind of a light golden color, not milky. I'll check the suction screen when I have time to drain the oil.

With the tractor running I did fiddle with the lift lever and the feedback arm. They were stuck and all of a sudden they started moving freely again. The arms would not move when I raised the lift lever regardless of the position of the under-seat adjusting knob.

jerrell

Equipment
tiller, B6200, B6000, 2 bottom turning plow, 5 ft bush hog, frail mower 5 ft,
Jun 23, 2013
beebe, arkansas
Just adjusted my 3 pt , the yellow bolt with lock nut under the seat is an adjustment to adjust the speed in which the 3 pt will lower, if you have a heavy piece of equipment turning the bolt clockwise will slow the speed down, this is on a B6200E

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To check your transmission/hydraulic fluid level there is (probably) a plug that is near the clutch pedal. See the picture in this link - it is painted red.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9299

The picture is showing a plug that looks like a pipe plug but the actual plug on my tractor looks like a bolt with a seal washer under the head. On level ground, if fluid runs out of the port it is full. If no fluid runs out it is low.

Before removing the plug - have some type of drain pan under the tractor and a handful of rags to wipe off the side of the transmission if/when fluid runs down the side.

On the filter - you will need to locate a cover (it is a bump with two bolts holding it on) on the clutch side, near the bottom and rear of the of the housing. It is basically right at the back end of the floor board on that side. Behind that is a spring and a long cylindrical screen that is the filter.
You can clean it with diesel or replace it with a new filter screen.

The knob only controls the lowering speed of the arms. Has nothing to do with lift operation. There is a pressure release mechanism on the upper arm again on the clutch side of tractor that may need an adjustment.

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
To check your transmission/hydraulic fluid level there is (probably) a plug that is near the clutch pedal. See the picture in this link - it is painted red.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9299

The picture is showing a plug that looks like a pipe plug but the actual plug on my tractor looks like a bolt with a seal washer under the head. On level ground, if fluid runs out of the port it is full. If no fluid runs out it is low.

Before removing the plug - have some type of drain pan under the tractor and a handful of rags to wipe off the side of the transmission if/when fluid runs down the side.

On the filter - you will need to locate a cover (it is a bump with two bolts holding it on) on the clutch side, near the bottom and rear of the of the housing. It is basically right at the back end of the floor board on that side. Behind that is a spring and a long cylindrical screen that is the filter.
You can clean it with diesel or replace it with a new filter screen.

The knob only controls the lowering speed of the arms. Has nothing to do with lift operation. There is a pressure release mechanism on the upper arm again on the clutch side of tractor that may need an adjustment.
I finally got around to looking for the hydraulic oil screen. When I removed the cap located as described above I found no screen. I poked my finger in the hole and felt nothing so I put the cover back on. Since there is a screen located just below the hydraulic pump, I removed it and found it caked with sludge. (This screen looks like the one described as internal.) I cleaned the screen and placed it back in the housing. Then I filled the transmission with oil. I let it run a few minutes but the lift didn't function. Since the hydraulic pump and that filter are higher than the oil level it seems that there must be a way to prime the pump with fluid to get it started. I didn't see any way of doing that. Any help would be appreciated.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The hyd pump should prime it'self as long as the fluid level is correct. I have seen times that it will take 10 - 15 minutes of running before the hydraulics start to work. My first M9000 did this when I serviced it the first time, scared me to death. After about 10 or so minutes it started working like normal.

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
The hyd pump should prime it'self as long as the fluid level is correct. I have seen times that it will take 10 - 15 minutes of running before the hydraulics start to work. My first M9000 did this when I serviced it the first time, scared me to death. After about 10 or so minutes it started working like normal.
Thanks, Bulldog. I put in the 29 Quarts recommended. I'll try letting it run longer and hope it begins working. I know that the pump did function because before I worked on it, it did raise the lift once. I am amazed that it even moved the lift once as clogged as the screen was.

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
I started the tractor and drove it around for about 15 minutes. The lift will still do nothing. Then I loosened the pipe at the hydraulic pump inlet. Oil came out so I knew it was getting oil. Then I loosened the discharge pipe where it connects near the seat. Oil gushed out so I know that the pump is working. Next I guess I'll check to see if the relief valve is stuck open. From the manual pictures I can't tell exactly how the relief valve works or how to access the valve itself. Figures 155 and 156 are missing in my pdf manual. That's where it shows the shims that adjust the relief pressure. I'll experiment and see what I can do.

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
I discovered how to access the pressure relief valve. I removed it. It is seating and everything looks ok. So, I have pressure although I don't know how much. The relief valve is closed. There is no weight on the 3 point arms. I can raise and lower them easily by hand. Moving the position control handle from one extreme to the other does absolutely nothing. Is there anything I can do or check short of pulling the top part off to check the control valve. One thing I don't know is how the position shaft interfaces with the control valve. Maybe it is not actuating the control valve. Any ideas?

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
I checked the pressure relief valve it is seating and all looks OK. There is no weight on the lift arms. I can raise and lower them by hand very easily. As stated above, I do have pressure although I don't know how much. Moving the position lever from one extreme to the other does absolutely nothing. Is there anything to check or adjust short of opening up the case to check the control valve and also make sure that the position control shaft is actuating the control valve. I don't know what that interface is like... how it connects to the control valve. Any ideas?

Chubbs75

Aug 16, 2013
United Kingdom
I checked the pressure relief valve it is seating and all looks OK. There is no weight on the lift arms. I can raise and lower them by hand very easily. As stated above, I do have pressure although I don't know how much. Moving the position lever from one extreme to the other does absolutely nothing. Is there anything to check or adjust short of opening up the case to check the control valve and also make sure that the position control shaft is actuating the control valve. I don't know what that interface is like... how it connects to the control valve. Any ideas?
Don't get confused that you got flow but maybe not enough pressure. You need to find the measuring ports and to a pressure test.

JRPoage

Equipment
L285
Jul 6, 2013
Pearland, Texas, USA
I am aware of the difference in flow and pressure and I will get a pressure test. Just thought that considering the force of the oil coming out when I opened the connection, That I should see something move a little. Actually, the first time I tried the lift before working on it, the lift didn 't move at all for a little bit and then after a couple of jerks it came up very quickly so at that point it had significant pressure. After that it wouldn't move at all.