L235 Live Clutch?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
According to the Spec. sheet the Live Clutch was Optional. How do I know if the used one I just bought has the Live Clutch or not?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Coach, the way to tell is to put the stethoscope you use for checking vibrations and noises down on the transmission and determine if there is a thumping noise.

OK, OK just making sure you're paying attention. I copy and pasted this from another site.

There is a lot of confusion about what a Live PTO is and isn't. A live PTO, normally, has a 2 stage clutch. You can depress the clutch 1/2 way in and the transmission will stop but the PTO will continue to spin. If you depress the clutch all the way the PTO will stop also. This is very useful when mowing because you can stop, change gears, back up, etc while the mower continues to receive power.

If the PTO is not "live" it will stop receiving power every time the clutch pedal is depressed. Because the PTO is always directly connected to the transmission you will need an over run clutch if you use a high momentum implement like a mower.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Well damn...... knew I should have kept the stethescope.

Much Thanx

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On the L185 I have the clutch stops both the PTO and the transmission at the same time. Inversely the PTO does not "start" until you release the clutch, if you are in gear the tractor takes off and the PTO starts at the same time.

You may be more interested in if you have an over running clutch which allows the implement to be driven by the tractor but does not allow the implement to keep driving the tractor when the clutch is pushed in.

There are ways to test for this. The most straight forward (to me) is to use a PTO driven mower (since it can store energy in the rotational inertia of the blade system) so you know it will continue to turn when the clutch is pushed in. Have plenty of clear distance in front in case the tractor does not stop.
Get the tractor and mower both going and push in the clutch. The tractor should coast to a stop or be stopped with the brakes IF you have the over run clutch. IF you don't have the over run clutch the tractor will continue to get power from the mower and will not stop until the mower is also at rest.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
This is very useful when mowing because you can stop, change gears, back up, etc while the mower continues to receive power.

If the PTO is not "live" it will stop receiving power every time the clutch pedal is depressed. Because the PTO is always directly connected to the transmission you will need an over run clutch if you use a high momentum implement like a mower.
I'm curious to know about the advantages, other than the implement losing power when maneuvering the tractor. I've seen external over-run clutches for sale and was wondering about them. I'm guessing that any implement with inertia - mower, bush hog, tiller - would be affected.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm curious to know about the advantages, other than the implement losing power when maneuvering the tractor. I've seen external over-run clutches for sale and was wondering about them. I'm guessing that any implement with inertia - mower, bush hog, tiller - would be affected.
The advantage of a 2 stage clutch setup or live PTO is that you can maneuver the tractor with the implement running all the time .

As far as an over running clutch advantage, the inertia from an implement, like flywheel off an old baler or the blades spinning on a brush hog mower, will not be transferred back to the tractor on slowdown, stopping of the tractor. It allows the "overrunning" of the PTO shaft to stop at the overrunning clutch.

A tiller does not have enough inertia to cause overrunning. ;)

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
An overrunning clutch also allows the engine to quickly drop to idle while the mower or chipper, etc. spins down slowly. This allows for much easier shifting and less wear/tear when changing gear and/or direction.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I put an over running clutch on the end of my pto shaft on the tractor. Worth every penny. If you have a bush hog, it will push you until it loses momentum. I wiped out a fence post the first time out with the bush hog :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be to concerned if all your gonna do is run your tiller. They don't have a lot of stored energy like the bush hogs do

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The advantage of a 2 stage clutch setup or live PTO is that you can maneuver the tractor with the implement running all the time .
Not sure I understand that. On mine, the travel clutch releases first. With continued travel, the travel pressure plate tabs eventually push up the pressure plate on the PTO clutch. It seems that the usage would be to release the travel clutch to leave implement running in place. Perhaps a bush-hog or tiller left working an area, or maybe shifting? Or is that exactly what you are describing?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is that exactly what you are describing?
I meant that you could leave lets say the mower running while you stopped to lets say let the mower catch up and get back to speed, or you needed to back up to maneuver to get around something like a tree! :)
Or snow blowing your constantly going back and forth, without a live clutch it would kick off every time you change from forward to reverse, that's really hard on shear pins! ;)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Ah, I get it. I thought it unlikely, but that perhaps some worked in the reverse so you could stop the implement while you repositioned the tractor. Thanks.