Stump grinder build

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Started getting the pump fitted up to the tractor PTO. The angle brackets for the upper link on the 3PH were in the way, so I marked them and machined off the angle legs with a roughing end mill. I chose a 3/4" end mill to leave a good fillet for strength. Ordered some Kubota gray for touch up.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Now that the pump fits the PTO shaft, I started planning the torque arm. My plan is to use the center holes in the 3PH upper link angles and a long 3/4 bolt with either a spring or rubber cushion on the end. The pump will still be able to 'float' on the shaft with this arm plus it will keep the pump on the shaft.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Will these Prince pumps self prime? Designing the oil tank and planning the hose routing and need to know if the oil should gravity feed to the inlet.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Only managed to get the torque arm done for the pump this past week. I'm going to weld a nut on the left bracket so I can mount the pump and with just one bolt, it will secure the pump to the PTO. Going to use a spring or rubber cushion at the end of the bolt. Also a cotter pin at the threaded end so it won't loosen up.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sorry can't answer your question about self priming.... am curious though.... how are you going to get to the IN port now that you covered it with that bracket or is the photo deceiving and the port sits well outward of the bracket?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Sorry can't answer your question about self priming.... am curious though.... how are you going to get to the IN port now that you covered it with that bracket or is the photo deceiving and the port sits well outward of the bracket?
I thought that, too, looks like a trick of perspective...:D:D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Some more progress on my build. Third picture is the final pump mount set up. The other pictures are of welding the oil tank which I designed to fit inside the 3PH. I put in a good size baffle in the center to split the intake and return to insure the oil gets homogenized to help control temperature. There is a port in the tank for a thermometer to monitor temp.
The second picture is welding the 10-32 tabs in place for the fill/vent, which was all for nothing as you will see coming up.
I always pressure test tanks with air and soapy water, and when it comes to plugging the holes, anything and everything that works is the rule.
Tank capacity is 27 gallons filled to the top. Prince recommends a 25 gallon reservoir for the pump that I have, so I'm good there.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Made up these mandrels for installing and removing the reusable hydraulic hose ends. I want to make up my own hoses so I can dial in the correct length, such as for the boom extender cylinder.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
everytime I stop in this thread I feel I should

worship.gif

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I would have sworn the instructions for the fill neck said five holes, but no, it did say six when I went back and looked at it. So, I made up an adapter plate and welded this on over the opening. Probably better this way anyway, the sealing surface on the adapter is flatter than the tank top. Got away with this one!

The other pictures are getting the tank mounting plate fitted to the main frame. This bottom plate will support the weight and I'll have two angle tabs mounted up towards the top on the tank

Attachments

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Looks like that top link gets awfully close. Is that all the way up?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
One question I have: Hard hard will it be to hook this all up when mounting on the 3PH? Reason I ask, looks like it would be rather hard to reach in there to line up the pump to the shaft and hook up the torsion bar.