B3200 won't start

mn1247

Equipment
b3200
Aug 11, 2012
motreal, CA
My B3200 HST is no longer starting. It worked for a quick trip across the field, then refused to re-start. Prior to the field trip, it had been VERY low on fuel, but I did refill before starting the first time, and (as I said) it ran fine for a short trip.

The lights work, but I only intermittently hear the solenoid engage, and the engine won't turn at all. I've tried jiggling the PTO lever and the gear lever. I checked the solenoid fuse - fine. I messed with the seat sensors too, to no avail. The battery indicator is green.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

mn1247

Equipment
b3200
Aug 11, 2012
motreal, CA
Thanks.

So, how do I figure out which switch? I tried jumping the two sensors under the seat - same starting problem.

Eric

mn1247

Equipment
b3200
Aug 11, 2012
motreal, CA
Thanks.

One more clue from further experimentation... if I'm not sitting on the seat, but I turn the key to the first position (not all the way to start position, just the first), sometimes I hear the solenoid engage, but other times I hear a sort-of buzzing or vibrating sound from behind the dashboard.

Is this normal? Could the solenoid be bad? Or, is it still a safety switch I'm looking for?

Again, I appreciate your help. I know little about fixing tractors.

Eric

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks.

One more clue from further experimentation... if I'm not sitting on the seat, but I turn the key to the first position (not all the way to start position, just the first), sometimes I hear the solenoid engage, but other times I hear a sort-of buzzing or vibrating sound from behind the dashboard.

Is this normal? Could the solenoid be bad? Or, is it still a safety switch I'm looking for?

Again, I appreciate your help. I know little about fixing tractors.

Eric
That sounds bad. Not aware of any solenoids behind the dash. Maybe a bad relay. Do you hear the fuel solenoid on the engine click when you turn the key?

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You don't state how old or how many hours are on the tractor.
Did you check and clean the battery terminals? Do the lights go out when you hit the start position on the switch? How old is the battery?

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
You don't state how old or how many hours are on the tractor.
Did you check and clean the battery terminals? Do the lights go out when you hit the start position on the switch? How old is the battery?
Battery, connections at the Battery., connections both ground and hot to frame and starter and corrosion of the actual cable?

Chasing complicated problems and overlooking the obvious is an art.

The artist

mn1247

Equipment
b3200
Aug 11, 2012
motreal, CA
Thanks for the tips.

Yes, the headlights go out when I try to start. Someone suggested to me that the problem is with grounding.

When I initially turn the tractor key into the first position (not all the way to start), the headlights won't shine at all. It takes several minutes (despite warm weather) before they finally come on. Meanwhile, I hear a faint humming or buzzing sound from behind the ignition switch area. The solenoid does not seem to engage (click) consistently, but gets better once the "warm up" of several minutes completes. Also, the fuel gauge rises very very slowly (several minutes) after turning the key to the first position.

Once the lights are on, turning to start causes them to go out completely.

The tractor is not that old - 2 years. It has about 80 hours. Just had it in for general maintenance this Spring.

How do I chase down a problem with the electrical ground (or whatever this is)? I checked the battery connection and chassis connection (looks fine).

Now what?

Thanks again
Eric

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Sounds like to me that you have either a very bad battery connection or a poor battery. Have you tried to jump it from a car with battery cables?
Pull the battery out and have it load checked at most auto parts stores. I believe the battery is the same as a lot of Honda automobiles use.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a bout the same problem with one of my tractors. I had just replaced the battery a few weeks before. I had cleaned the cables and post during the install but for some reason the post had corrosion on them and it wouldn't start. Cleaned the cables and post again and the problem went away. Good luck with yours.