Changing the fluid in the f.e.l.

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
I have an L245DT with a 1200 FEL mounted. I just picked this unit up and would like to change the fluid and filter before I start using it. There is a reservoir tank by my right knee while sitting on the tractor but I don't see a drain plug. I am thinking that if I disconnect the lowest hose I would get most of the oil out of the tank. How would I drain all the hydraulic hoses and the cylinders. Maybe I am over thinking this whole thing !!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You're right. Technically, you never get it all...

While you have the lowest hose off, drill a hole, and tap in a 3/8" or 1/2" pipe plug, into the lowest portion of the tank, that you can access. that will get a little more out, next time, and make future changes easier...:D:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My question is WHY? The fluid is going to cycle through the system anyway and will go through the filter sooner or later

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
My question is WHY? The fluid is going to cycle through the system anyway and will go through the filter sooner or later

My why is that once you have a drain plug, you don't have to remove the lowest hose, and slop oil everywhere...:D:D