L2800 Won't start

ShaneHody

Equipment
2004 L2800 Kubota
Nov 24, 2015
SAlado, TX
2004 L2800 Kubota
My tractor would not start after turning it off.
1. worked fine before shutting off
2. has fuel
3. PTO lever is moved to off
4. In neutral, high/low/f/r and gear selector. high/low/f/r is getting good contact for the safety switch
5. When I jump the starter the starter turns but does not engage (YES I know the safety concerns)
6. When I jump the seat safety switch at the starter, and jump the starter, the starter turns and turns the motor, but no fuel being delivered, battery is strong ( have tried jump)
7. Once when I wanted to check for lights I turned the key and the tractor started, I WAS standing on the ground, it should not have started
8. will not show any signs of power getting to anything, no lights, or movements of gauges
9. does the seat safety switch also allow the fuel to be delivered?
Full maintenance was done earlier this year. All filters, fluids etc. (and spark plugs, just kidding)
Does this mean that the seat safety switch is bad? The switch is about 7 years old.

Thank you for your time.

-Shane

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Did you check the fuses? If the L2800 is like the L2900, the fuse panel is on the left side of the instrument panel just above the brake pedal. There is a "slow blow" fuse that protects everything - which may be blown. Check them all.
Good luck.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first thought was what CB mentioned.....
check them fuses!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you cleaned the battery terminals? My 9000 did what you describe after being run all day cutting hay. Shut it off and it wouldn't crank back, or do anything for that matter. Cleaned the terminals and all was good.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
When you're jumping the starter, you're bypassing EVERY starting system control....key switch, neutral switch, PTO switch, everything. When you're jumping the starter like that, all you're doing is testing the starter and possibly the battery. So you know those two are "ok", time to dig a little deeper. The starter is controlled by a little white wire. It's powered through all of the switches. On a gear drive tractor, the PTO switch, range gear shift switches are the only two switches that will keep it from starting. HST, you have a clutch safety switch and a HST neutral switch. You'll want to test each switch. A cordless test light makes it really easy. They have two wires per switch. In the "neutral" position, there should be power on both wires. Real simple system. IIRC, the gear drive tractors have TWO switches on the range gear shift lever and they both have to be pushed at the same time. If you look at the shifter you'll see them, and both have to be working. If one dies, it will not crank over because the tractor "thinks" that it's in gear. It also won't start if one of the switches-or wiring-is not correct, even by jumping the starter, because the fuel cut solenoid also works off of the switches. When you turn the key to "on" you should hear an audible "clack"-assuming the PTO switch is "neutral" and neutral switch and wiring are correct.

There is also a fuel stop solenoid fuse and I have seen the fuse die on a couple L3400's (same as the L2800). I was told by a reliable source that the fuses were junk. Didn't make any sense to me but on my boss's tractor (L3400HST), the fuel stop solenoid fuse failed, he replaced it with an auto parts store fuse, and it never once had another problem.