New to L35, need some help

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
I recently purchased an 800 hour plus L35 from a farmer who has unfortunately passed.

I am thrilled to own this mean machine but I have some issues I am hoping can easily be overcome.

First the family, read lawyer, has no idea where the three point hitch is. I need it as this is my primary tractor (my b2700 is up for sale). Anyone have the set up, please?

Secondly, the owner left the bucket in a rest position that it rusted through. Just wondering if I should try and repair or find a salvage.

I am fairly adept at welding but I have no torche nor experience using one.

Thanks,
Steve

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I recently purchased an 800 hour plus L35 from a farmer who has unfortunately passed.

I am thrilled to own this mean machine but I have some issues I am hoping can easily be overcome.

First the family, read lawyer, has no idea where the three point hitch is. I need it as this is my primary tractor (my b2700 is up for sale). Anyone have the set up, please?

Secondly, the owner left the bucket in a rest position that it rusted through. Just wondering if I should try and repair or find a salvage.

I am fairly adept at welding but I have no torche nor experience using one.

Thanks,
Steve
You have any pictures of the bucket? Not sure if that is going to be an easy fix - depending on the "rust" and the location.

As for the 3 point - all the connections are "missing"? Nothing but two arms and a pto?

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
Got you, I will take pictures, bad weather now, by Sunday. I will have to remove the round bail spike. That being said, the bucket can easily pick up 600 lbs bails of hay but can't pick up marbles.

The three point is missing. The little lift arms from the hydraulic cylinder under the seat are there and the 540 output shaft and guard are there. I have the bt900 backhoe on it and since the 3pt parts where sent home in a box they have not survived the trip to me.

Thanks for the get back.

Regards

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Welcome to the site, Steve, my advice, for the bucket would be to find a local welding shop, and take the bucket to them for repair.

As for the 3 point hitch, a trip up to Gettysburg PA, to Yinglings boneyard at 3291 Taneytown Rd, may find you a set of 3 point arms at a reasonable price. If it is the toplink you are searching for, you can find a cat one toplink, at the closest TSC store likely Mt Airy MD...

Get'er runnin...:D:D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
The 3-point hitch assembly is unique to that machine within the Kubota line.

No other set of parts from a 'similar' machine will fit properly---they might be force-fitted and they might move around, but they won't be correct and if placed in a bind by hydraulics might break something like a housing. If you do this watch everything move slowly and carefully under different loaded configurations (different implements) and be prepared to make modifications. In the end, this won't be a satisfactory solution.

Get a parts book and start making a list of part numbers for your dealer to quote. If you leave off the bolts, pins, chains, and assorted locally-sourced (sourceable) pieces the dealer might get you the steel parts for $1,500.

A complete (or even partially complete) set of L-35 used 3-point parts did not exist in the US about three years ago when I did the same thing. By al means look as something may have changed. Send me a Private Msg if you turn up two sets or don't want to buy the set you find.

One consideration is that if you do obtain the parts the machine resale will be increased tremendously and you may get your money back someday.

Another consideration is to think about just how often the 3-point parts will actually be used. Time will inform that removing the backhoe is a royal PiA. And if it's been sitting, you may find the first removal extremely difficult. Another thread on this Forum reported one of the mounting ears was broken during removal of a reluctant backhoe.

My observation is that no matter how the machine is configured, the 'other' setup is needed to do a job. After wrestling for an hour or two switching over, time to complete the job is gone.

Remember, when the hoe is removed, you've still got to reassemble the 3-point gear---it can't ride along with the hoe when mounted.

We finally left the L-35 set up as a dedicated backhoe and it's become the go-to machine. The second unit rigged for 3-point is used less frequently. Perhaps you should consider two machines as we have.

Regarding the bucket: you need to find a competent heavy equipment (I'd think heavy construction equipment or oilfield, not structural iron-hanger or residential steel stud) welder to rebuild the bucket. When you do so have him apply cross-hatched hard wear bands to extend its life. Good welding and required materials will not be cheap. Compare to ordering a new bucket (you might, just might find a used one at a tractor salvage yard, but I doubt it) and you might determine there is no savings in rebuild.

Getting that old bucket off is going to be a bear. Use a large diameter brass punch or drift and a much bigger hammer. Heat carefully applied may be required.

The L-35 is a great little machine; we wouldn't trade ours unless we upgraded to later model or size in Kubota's line.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
Tomorrow is turkey day. I will get a picture of the bucket. It actually rusted from the inside out and only on the right side as you look at the front of the tractor. If I have to, I will use a come-a-long and wrap 1/8 plate around the gaps and weld it. I pretty much only need it to hold composted manure to put where it needs to be.

The three point is still available for sale but at about $1600.00 I was hoping someone would have a set up in the garage or barn and shipping plus cost would be more reasonable. The backhoe actually only takes a few minutes to remove and set on the ground. I'm guessing another 10 minutes to install the 3pt and post hole digger etc. My B2710 struggles for what I ask it do so the L35 seems a perfect fit for a good price.

With only 800 hours this machine it will last for years. Some money now will make sure its productive for many more.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
One more note; I have found posts in other places that say they have crawled under an L39 and removed the 3pt stuff that is somehow attached and it works perfectly with an L35. So you L39 owners that will never remove the backhoe I would like to talk to you. Happy Thanks Giving everyone.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
I checked out the link. Two of the three are for remanned engines. The last one is pretty far away and has the hoe. I will try to contact them and hope for the best.

Thanks

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Such a preventable and unnecessary case of rot. Of course, had he parked the bucket lip down, you'd be looking at a new cylinder. But, when you get older and your health goes, you stop worrying about stuff like that. Too bad he didn't have any kids or neighbors to keep an eye on his stuff.

This is another message for everyone who keeps their machines outside.

You'll get her all fixed up.

Ray

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's just iron! If you can weld, you've got a project. If you can't weld take it to someone who can. It can be cleaned up and patched and be fine. Don't use too light of metal.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have had 12 L-35s over the years. I hardly ever used the 3ph. I gave half a dozen of them (new) back to my dealer. I checked with him and he said they didn't have them any more. This same situation came up twice last year. In both cases, I gave the 2 that I had kept to different fellows on the forum. I checked through my "stuff" and I don't seem to have another set. I know a fellow that had an L-35 that burned. I will ask if he managed to keep the set and let you know. I doubt he has in that he bought the tractor from me. It's very likely that you will have to order it new. This answers the question I asked myself when I gave the new ones away. "What the hell would I ever need these for"?

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
Boy I sure could have used them. Thanks for checking around. If you find something please let me know. I will post here if I order new so everyone can quit looking.

I found an old article of someone working on a L35 as project but one day the front wheel broke off and its now in the field rusting. If anyone knows the man "AlwaysGrounded" in another forum I sure would like to buy that pile of rust. Please let me know.

The only other junked one I have found is in Wisconsin. The shipping would be outrageous.

Maybe I can order one part a month. I truly didn't expect it to be this difficult.