BX fuel tank cleaning surprise

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I found grass, leaves, and bugs in my fuel tank when I got it. Doesn't start too well with a grass hopper blocking the fuel line :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Great comments, especially 85 Hokie: My college chemistry didn't mention this stuff. Even organic chem, not mentioned. I've been using the diesel treatment to kill "bugs" and algae. Maybe not effective.

This tractor had been on sales lots for unknown period, before me, New.

Anyhow here is my plan so far. Draining the full tank via the first filter may have caught some crud. I will first cut it open and examine. It might be sufficient for me to stop there.

After getting tank out, assuming filter shows nothing special, I plan to dump in about a quart of diesel along with about 8 (count 'em) small nuts. Then will switch that around by fhysically shaking the tank. Carefully dump via one route to clean large pan, examine it. Try again, and again.

If any stuff sits above the valve (I installed that wayback) blow compressed air in to dislodge any. Repeat agitation with 8 nuts,until no debris appears for a few trys.

Finally will wrap a clean heavy nut with clean intact cloth securely and get to roll around in there. Examine it for stuff.

Hope that does it.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Opened up the first filter. Photo shows the folded paper stretched out with one fleck of something. I had assumed the orange color was rust. Maybe just the new color. No crud in the input side shell.

Attachments

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Keep it up guys. I will follow the lead also. Thanks. Still nursing sore muscles, so it will be a while before tank is yanked and will see what happens then.
Am contemlating the best way to scrub inside of fuel tank.

Hillbilly Engineer

Equipment
BX25D, Land leveler
Apr 20, 2015
Cadet, MO
Keep it up guys. I will follow the lead also. Thanks. Still nursing sore muscles, so it will be a while before tank is yanked and will see what happens then.
Am contemlating the best way to scrub inside of fuel tank.
I've used a piece of chain to clean inside a fuel tank. Works well and easy to fish it out. It really broke up the gunk inside the tank on an old tractor that had been sitting for years.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have used a chain also, but it was about a 3 gallon tank. Strapped it to tractor wheel and jacked up tractor. Put in low gear and idled it for a few minutes. That cleaned up a rusty tank.

jmsteel

Nov 25, 2015
St. Charles, Ontario, Canada
As was suggested earlier, some kind of scope or camera would be great if you could get your hands on one. It's amazing and sometimes bizarre what can be found in a fuel tank. Might be able to locate and remove a foreign object without pulling the tank.

Also suggested earlier was the lift pump. Often fuel passes through the lift pump before the fuel filters and could be plugged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

schweitz_man

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Jan 20, 2023
Missouri
Hopefully it won't come to that. We tried new fuel, fuel additives, two filter changes, blowing back through the line lines and everything else we could think of as removing the tank and outlet is a bear. This turned out to be the culprit:
This elbow (out of the bottom of the fuel tank) was my issue as well. I went thru the process of removing the fuel tank and then removing the elbow fitting from the tank in order to clean it. Wish this was a sweep as 90 degree fittings like this are places where clogs can develop. I wound up hand turning an appropriate sized drill bit to clean out the gunk from the fitting.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
No matter how careful you are, sooner or later some piece of crap is going to get into your tank. Use a filter at the fill port of the tank, either from the dealer, or Mcgyver something like this yourself.
fueltankscreen.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am of the opinion two fuel filters are not needed, since second one in line usually shows little stiff and my tests for passing ability shows only slight reduction compared to new filters. Thus the reason for the second pump.

Yeah welllll really you do. The first one takes the hit of everything and of course clogs first, the second filters fuel going into the injectors, also the first one protects the lift pump as well. Its your machine ys wana only run one OK,, I know the bigger machines only run one filter, but you do what you feel is best for you.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I am of the opinion two fuel filters are not needed, since second one in line usually shows little stiff and my tests for passing ability shows only slight reduction compared to new filters. Thus the reason for the second pump.

Yeah welllll really you do. The first one takes the hit of everything and of course clogs first, the second filters fuel going into the injectors, also the first one protects the lift pump as well. Its your machine ys wana only run one OK,, I know the bigger machines only run one filter, but you do what you feel is best for you.
The main purpose of the second fuel filter to protect the injection pump from shrapnel in the unlikely mechanical failure of the electric lift pump.

Reactions: 3 users