BX fuel tank cleaning surprise

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
At 200 hours I decided to remove the fenders and maybe the fuel tank. Reason is that this BX has had many stoppages and partly plugged fuel filters and the most recent stoppage was at 20 hours on new filters, with a half filled tank. Fill the tank and it kept going, as had been the practice before. Color of filter guts (paper folded) is always rusty colored ,but no flakes. Fuel comes from a place selling a lot of fuel and I have had not had any problem with that fuel for two blue tractors. All filling is via a funnel fitted with so fine a screen that that screen stops water(a test for screen continuity requires just trying to pass water)

In addition to frequent fuel fiulter replacements, I replaced the tank cap and the fuel pump, to no avail.

I drained the fuel (was a full tank) and early on it stopped and drained sporadically, as if stuff apparently was plugging the drain hole. Final draining went good.

So today I figured other posts here finding rusty fuel sender unit was my problem with this 5 year old tractor. So I ordered one from Messicks to get one on the way before I tore things apart.

So upon removing the fender and exposing the top of fuel tank, I removed the fuel sending unit. BINGO To my surprise it appeared brand new, not a spec of rust and its interior also seemed good, as best as I can tell, so I cancelled the Messnick order, in time. Interior of tank as visible, looks great.

I am at a quandary. Should I remove the tank (big job at that) and see about cleaning it somehow, perhaps turning it upside down to shake out any blockage stuff.? Before trying that will see about snaking a clean rag around on a stout wire tie. Also will blow compressed air via a length of plastic hose 1/2" dia. around inside to shake loose any stuff. Also will try to suck out any loose stuff with same hose on my shop vac,.

Since I had removed a fuel pump that seemed to run OK, maybe I'll install that instead of the second fuel filter to give some boost to the current pump. Reason is that once the level of fuel in tank gets down to the elevation of the injectors, and the engine quits. Adding of fuel then has things up and running. never had it stop with more than 2/3 full tank. On a set of fresh filters the engine runs well down to tank level below 1/4. But not long after the 1/2 full level is the limit.

I am of the opinion two fuel filters are not needed, since second one in line usually shows little stiff and my tests for passing ability shows only slight reduction compared to new filters. Thus the reason for the second pump.

So what advice can you guys send my way now, before I close things up?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd probably pull the tank and attempt to clean it out. Do you have any type of instrument to look inside, like a bore scope? Handy tool to have.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not familiar with your machine, but this comment indicates a lift pump not working.

"Reason is that once the level of fuel in tank gets down to the elevation of the injectors, and the engine quits. Adding of fuel then has things up and running. never had it stop with more than 2/3 full tank. On a set of fresh filters the engine runs well down to tank level below 1/4. But not long after the 1/2 full level is the limit."

If you have a small, or piece of a drain snake you might attach a rag (wired on) and swish it around to see if it changes color or attracts anything.

I'd try to fabricate something to reach down it and see if something is loose floating on the bottom. Can you reverse wrap a ball of duct tape (with a wire through the center so you don't lose it) and see if it attracts something?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
My understanding is the second filter is to protect the injector pump in case the fuel pump disintegrates sending debris down the fuel line. I don't have an idea on how likely or often a fuel pump fails on a diesel. Over 50 years of driving I haven't had a fuel pump fail in the last 40 years. However, I don't think you want injector or injector pump problems,

Family Style

Equipment
B7500
Nov 2, 2015
Aledo, Texas
You might want to rethink using a shop vac to to vacume the tank out.
I thought about doing this to my tank. I am not sure that fuel/fuel vapor should be pulled through an electric vacume.
I am not sure what would happen. Maybe nothing......maybe a fire breathing wet vac?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Diesel shouldn't ignite with a spark but you still don't want to test that theory. You can actually put it into a mason jar with a lit match touching it and it will just put out the match. It needs a little heat before it can ignite with spark or flame, which the vacuum may provide so I wouldn't chance it.

Best thing is to remove and invert the tank, swishing out with diesel or some kind of solvent (thinner, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, etc.) and cleaning the tank.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I tried everything and my brother finally pulled my tank and outlet was plugging. A big job, but that's what it took to end the poor running and stoppages.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Triple R: Hey, I was hoping maybe I'd not have to do that. I have photos of the supports, etc. but any other hints would be appreciated. Keep em coming guys. "At 87 years age, I found some muscles that didn't like my yard working a few days back so it will be a few more days before I crawl around under and over the BX. Snow is coming this weekend, but my snow blower still works.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I tried everything and my brother finally pulled my tank and outlet was plugging. A big job, but that's what it took to end the poor running and stoppages.

You are scaring the hell out of me.....I dont want to have to go through that !!!
I filter alllll my fuel before IT goes in the tank - but if the sender is going to hell, then that ought not be on the owner !;)

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Triple R: Hey, I was hoping maybe I'd not have to do that. I have photos of the supports, etc. but any other hints would be appreciated. Keep em coming guys. "At 87 years age, I found some muscles that didn't like my yard working a few days back so it will be a few more days before I crawl around under and over the BX. Snow is coming this weekend, but my snow blower still works.
Hopefully it won't come to that. We tried new fuel, fuel additives, two filter changes, blowing back through the line lines and everything else we could think of as removing the tank and outlet is a bear. This turned out to be the culprit:

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Triple R: Thanks much. Was that a fitting manufacturing defect? or stuff caught there? I have been wondering about crud in the tank due to mishandling in the factory. I recall a case where workers at an auto factory were too lazy to return pop bottles after lunch, but left them in the car doors at the assembly line. Could be the case where gum wrappers and such were easily dropped in the open tanks as they went down the line. Maybe mad at the boss that day.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Triple R: Thanks much. Was that a fitting manufacturing defect? or stuff caught there? I have been wondering about crud in the tank due to mishandling in the factory. I recall a case where workers at an auto factory were too lazy to return pop bottles after lunch, but left them in the car doors at the assembly line. Could be the case where gum wrappers and such were easily dropped in the open tanks as they went down the line. Maybe mad at the boss that day.
It was clogged with vegetation, either someone was careless when filling it up or left the cap off as we fuel from a 300 gallon tank with a big filter. I have seen them plugged with plastic particles left in during manufacturing.

I'm lucky my brother is a mechanic as I sure couldn't have fixed it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would pull fitting out of tank. I have a bargain bin borescope i connect to my laptop,think it was $60 on sale. Will go in a3/8" hole.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I purchased my L175. Just enough vegetation in the cutoff valve to slow down the flow of fuel.
Pulled the the valve apart, removed the gunk, mopped out the tank with rags dampened with gasoline then dry ones, problem solved.

pacer

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 3, 2015
Greenwood La USA
OK, when you guys are talking about "vegetation" are you speaking of actual plant matter (leaves, grass, etc) or the fairly common "algae" that can form in diesel fuel? Obviously either would cause problems, but I was curious...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK, when you guys are talking about "vegetation" are you speaking of actual plant matter (leaves, grass, etc) or the fairly common "algae" that can form in diesel fuel? Obviously either would cause problems, but I was curious...
I believe they are talking about good ol algae!

but here is more on the subject :
http://criticalfueltech.com/faq.html

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had to remove the shutoff valve and clean the tank on a Deutz 6206. The vegetation there was very small pieces of grass or hay stems not algae.