PTO Issue?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hello Everyone!

I've been using little orange all summer brush cutting and have not noticed this.....

Today I put the snow blower on the tractor to get at something buried behind it in the garage. While it was on I threw it into gear to make sure everything still spun and I noticed something....,

It seemed to skip a beat when the PTO was spinning. No grinding noise or anything, just seemed to make a binding noise every second and silent for a second.... I hope I'm describing this well enough. I'm wondering if the spline gear got tore up from hogging this summer :eek:. Maybe it's just the snowblower.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello Everyone!

I've been using little orange all summer brush cutting and have not noticed this.....

Today I put the snow blower on the tractor to get at something buried behind it in the garage. While it was on I threw it into gear to make sure everything still spun and I noticed something....,

It seemed to skip a beat when the PTO was spinning. No grinding noise or anything, just seemed to make a binding noise every second and silent for a second.... I hope I'm describing this well enough. I'm wondering if the spline gear got tore up from hogging this summer :eek:. Maybe it's just the snowblower.
OldEnglish,

if you can - explain a little more - where is the sound originating from? Can you pin it down? Take the snow blower off, engage the pto without anything hooked to it .....any difference is sound? Spin the snow blower by hand if possible, any tight spots there?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
OldEnglish,

if you can - explain a little more - where is the sound originating from? Can you pin it down? Take the snow blower off, engage the pto without anything hooked to it .....any difference is sound? Spin the snow blower by hand if possible, any tight spots there?
Thanks Hookie, I should investigate further to pin point it but the noise I'm speaking of comes from the tractor. I'll take a video of it some time this weekend so everyone can hear what I'm talking about. When I engage the PTO with the blower on it sound like rrrrrrr..........rrrrrrr........rrrrrrr (a 1 second pause in noise). :p. It doesn't resemble a grinding noise to me, but I could be wrong. Sounds more like a common hum you would hear when something is engaged.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Have you hit the grease points recently? If no grinding noises, then it's probably something foolish and simple :)

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Darren that's a very good point, I'm sure the PTO shaft could use a pump or two. The only reason why it has my curiosity is that the blower has a constant resistance on the PTO, where the the hog really doesn't unless it's cutting something. I probably wouldn't hear it when the hog is cutting brush due to the increased noise levels and having ear plugs in. I believe I've heard it before with the hog in the air until the blades get up to speed, again that's where it has resistance.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
BullDog, it makes the noise at low and high idol.

TJ, I didn't try it sitting on the ground only in the Air.

I was busy when I noticed it and didn't have much time to think about it. The noise caught my attention but I didn't think much of it until after I sat down with a cold one at the end of the day :D

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
One part that goes slow enough to cycle like that is the chain on the auger. They get rusty and stiff from sitting and could produce pulsating rubbing noises. Spray it with penetrating oil and let it run a while - maybe it will free up. If not take it off at the master link and soak it in diesel fuel ?

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I'm betting it's the blower and the first thing I would check is the chain
to see of you might have some links that are rusted and frozen/stuck so
it kind of humps when those links go over the gears.
Al

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Thanks guys for the tips, I'll give the blower a good lube job. I use dry graphite on the chain but it could use a good coat. The blower is always garaged so it doesn't have the weather pounding on it.

I had some time to check it out yesterday but my battery has sang it's last song. Of course I had other things that needed to get done so I didn't jump start it, should have a new battery this week. I had the trickle charger plugged into it constantly with a full charge, goes dead right after warming the plugs.

What should I get for a HD battery? I've always been a fan of Interstate batteries but I'm thinking of getting a deep cell to help power the rear flood lights.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
You guys were spot on, the blower just needed a good lube job on the drive chain. Finally had some time today to put in my new Optima battery and let little orange run. For future reference, a Optima Red top 8002-002 fits perfectly in the b7100, 800 cold cranking amps :D. It doesn't fit in the battery trey but is easily held down with a bungee strap.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You guys were spot on, the blower just needed a good lube job on the drive chain. Finally had some time today to put in my new Optima battery and let little orange run. For future reference, a Optima Red top 8002-002 fits perfectly in the b7100, 800 cold cranking amps :D. It doesn't fit in the battery trey but is easily held down with a bungee strap.
Nothin worse than jeepin a redneck in suspense***128540;
Glad you solved your issue.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Sorry TJ for the nail biting suspense, I'm way too busy for my liking. Little orange hasn't gotten much of my attention lately. Some days all ya want to do is sit on the tractor and whack some brush, it always cheers one up :D.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I hear ya, Man. Busy is just the way of life. If im not fixing stuff for a living im fixing it for necessity. So ya-fixing stuff 7 Days a week.
No time to play,always something to do.