l3650 neutral safety starting switch

bobkubota

Equipment
L3650GST Loader & Backhoe
Jan 30, 2013
Corning, ohio
I have been having trouble with the neutral safety starting switch on the forward/reverse lever. And I want to adjust or replace it.

My problem is that I can not get the throttle lever off of the rod that controls the throttle. This lever has to be removed before the plastic cover over the switch area can be removed.

I took the pin out of the lever and rod and expected the lever to come off.

But no. It seems to be pressed on. Could that be or is it just rusted? Will heat loosen it or do I have to get a puller to take the lever off? There is not much room for a puller. I do not want to destroy the plastic cover in the process.

How should I proceed.

Thank you. bob

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been having trouble with the neutral safety starting switch on the forward/reverse lever. And I want to adjust or replace it.

My problem is that I can not get the throttle lever off of the rod that controls the throttle. This lever has to be removed before the plastic cover over the switch area can be removed.

I took the pin out of the lever and rod and expected the lever to come off.

But no. It seems to be pressed on. Could that be or is it just rusted? Will heat loosen it or do I have to get a puller to take the lever off? There is not much room for a puller. I do not want to destroy the plastic cover in the process.

How should I proceed.

Thank you. bob

Is it "Bad" or just need of adjustment?

If adjustment - can it be adjusted w/o taking it off?

bobkubota

Equipment
Jan 30, 2013
Corning, ohio
Is it "Bad" or just need of adjustment?

If adjustment - can it be adjusted w/o taking it off?
No adjustment possible without removing the cover. It works correctly 75% of the time. So I assume it needs adjusted. But the cover around it has to come off. So I have to get the throttle lever off the throttle control shaft. The safety switch should not cost too much so I will probably replace. The tractor is a 1993.

Thank you for the reply.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sent you a PM (top right) of a download link for the WSM for your tractor, might help in the lever removal.
My L3450 has an orchard kit on it so the covers are a little different.

bobkubota

Equipment
Jan 30, 2013
Corning, ohio
Sent you a PM (top right) of a download link for the WSM for your tractor, might help in the lever removal.
My L3450 has an orchard kit on it so the covers are a little different.
Thank you for the link. I did review the manual.

What I need to do to get to the safety switch they assume a mechanic would know how to do. To get to the switch that throttle lever handle has to come off. That will take a puller. Also the steering wheel will probably have to be removed. That will take another type of puller. Also there are only 2 of the 4 screws left that hold the 2 piece plastic cover together. Both are frozen and the heads will have to be drilled off.

I really don't have the expertise to do the work required. And I do not have the pullers.

The tractor is going into the local shop for a complete fluid, filters change and some other minor issues in the winter. I'll let him address the switch issue. And I'll keep my fingers crossed that with a little wiggling of the reverse/forward lever the engine will start until the switch is fixed. The issue is annoying and will probably get worse. So it has to be fixed.

Thank you. bob