Loader problem

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I removed the lines from the the boom cylinders to test them individually I notice the fluid was foaming. Is that an indication of a blown seal in one of the rams?
A blown seal can cause fluid to foam, but foam is more indicative of air being sucked in, check filter and suction lines and fittings.
If you pulled the screen filter and cleaned it, did you put new o-rings on it?

modeladay

Equipment
Sold B7100 and purchased a B2150 with FEL
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Loader is now working! It will now lift the front end well off the ground!The problem was a blow seal in one of the bucket rams. I found an odd seal on the piston and it was the one that failed. In the second photo the correct seal is on the right.

Attachments

Last edited:

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Well for whatever reason the left ram let loose again, Same problem as before in that it would not raise the front of the tractor. I disconnected the right ram and the left would not raise the bucket. I took it a part and could not detect a problem, don't what I did wrong but it did work for a while.

I had one more rebuild kit and changed it all out, the gold color seal is hard to put on without stretching it a bit, I hope this was not the problem. It look normal after being in the ram. Also the inner seal is a complete bitch to install unless there is a trick. Wore my fingers out trying to put it in place. Anyway its working again and I hope I didn't screw something up again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To properly install those seals you need to heat them in boiling water for a short period of time then install them and cool them to shrink them.
If you have a blow out again you might need to have the cylinder bore checked as a stretched / or heavily worn section will cause it to blow seals. ;)

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Thanks Mr.Wolfman, that's a great tip, my fingers will thank you on a future repair. I hope the ram is fine but with my luck I doubt it.

Thanks again
Dusty

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That piston looks awfully scratched up. I'm wondering if the cylinder bore is as bad? Doesn't take much damage to cause leaks or damage seals.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Your right but it is smooth to to touch, but again I don't have a lot of luck, I'll use it and see what happens. If it fails again I'll look closer at the ram and piston condition

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Well it failed again, didn't even have to work it. I left it up overnight and it was on the ground in the morning. I tried lefting the front of the tractor and no go:-( I had one more piston seal... the one that is a yellow color and tried putting on tonight, I used the boiling method and it was still very hard to put on. Because it is very loose after installing it so it becomes difficult to put it in the ram. I damaged the previous seal and really wrecked the last one I had. As a bush repair I used a left over rubber seal just to see if it would work and it did. Yes I know it won't last but it tells me that is the problem because I didn't touch anything else. When I install a new piston seal it will be Stretched,over time will it shrink.. how long? Look st the photo you can see where I damage the seal and piston trying to put it in the ram. I checked and cleaned the ram and doesn't look like it damage the seal it was me:-(

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The best indication of a blown seal is your inability to control the downward motion of the FEL arms after the tractor is off.

With a good seal on both sides, after shutting the tractor off, you can control the downward movement of the FEL arms proportionally. More lever, faster down. Less lever, slower down. Just like when its powered.

When one arm seal starts bypassing, the bypassed fluid interferes with the FEL arm movement. My FEL would go down if you barely cracked the lever. If you gave it full down, it would stop and sit there all day. And the seal that is leaking in the internal piston seal. There was absolutely zero leakage on the outside of my cylinder.

Got it fixed under warranty repair and it works like new now. Good thing. I have moved 40 tons of dirt in the last few days...